SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-22, 07:57 AM   #1
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about KSDII-Ace

Hello Fellow Kaleuns!

I'm in the process of getting aquainted with SH4 & KSDII-Ace.

I have been playing Sh3 for a while and I'm now going through the different stages of the Training Academy.

I have a view questions to start with and look forward to any advise you can give me - thanks!

1. Is there something like a Game Manual available? I couldn't find one in the game folder. F1 is okay but lacking some details.

2. How can one collaps the Speed Gauge, Compass, Depth Gauge and Clock on the bottom? The actually block access to other gauges and command buttons.

3. Crew Fatigue: Is it the same as with Sh3, that the crew doesn't fatigue when using TC x64 or higher, e.g., when in Nav Map mode (F5)?
Old 05-18-22, 09:51 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

1. SH4 has a Support folder that has a "SilentHunter4 Manual" pdf file in it, for what that is worth. Some mods will include a similar document in their Support folder to help guide a player through their modded version of the game.

2. The gauges can be rather cumbersome, and do depend upon the display screen resolution you use. A 1920x1080 is good to have nicely proportioned gauges. Many laptops though have 1600x900, and with that, they are basically constantly in your way. Just make certain your game's Options - Graphic Settings for the screen resolution are set to match what your Windows display settings are. That is the most efficient setting. Also, refer to the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" files in the game's root folder for keyboard images that show what keys to press for the various functions. Some of the modders will update those for their mod. For a quick way to minimize the bottom menu bar and gauges in the game, use the <Del> key on the NumPad. Hit that again for it to re-appear. If you have a laptop, I don't know what combo you could use for that... ??

3. Crew fatigue is basically non-existent in SH4, though it really should not be. The only way to induce crew fatigue is to leave them at Battle Stations too long, which the first symptom is generally a "cannot comply" message, not something sensible like "We're about to drop from exhaustion, skipper!"... but anyway, the XO has the crew automatically rotate through its shifts while you run the boat. You can stay out for the duration of the war like that, which they really should start having issues with morale if out more than 60 days, or not sinking anything - maybe even mutiny if the ice cream machine goes empty (sorry, CenPac joke)...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 06:47 AM   #3
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
1. SH4 has a Support folder that has a "SilentHunter4 Manual" pdf file in it, for what that is worth. Some mods will include a similar document in their Support folder to help guide a player through their modded version of the game.

2. The gauges can be rather cumbersome, and do depend upon the display screen resolution you use. A 1920x1080 is good to have nicely proportioned gauges. Many laptops though have 1600x900, and with that, they are basically constantly in your way. Just make certain your game's Options - Graphic Settings for the screen resolution are set to match what your Windows display settings are. That is the most efficient setting. Also, refer to the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" files in the game's root folder for keyboard images that show what keys to press for the various functions. Some of the modders will update those for their mod. For a quick way to minimize the bottom menu bar and gauges in the game, use the <Del> key on the NumPad. Hit that again for it to re-appear. If you have a laptop, I don't know what combo you could use for that... ??

3. Crew fatigue is basically non-existent in SH4, though it really should not be. The only way to induce crew fatigue is to leave them at Battle Stations too long, which the first symptom is generally a "cannot comply" message, not something sensible like "We're about to drop from exhaustion, skipper!"... but anyway, the XO has the crew automatically rotate through its shifts while you run the boat. You can stay out for the duration of the war like that, which they really should start having issues with morale if out more than 60 days, or not sinking anything - maybe even mutiny if the ice cream machine goes empty (sorry, CenPac joke)...

Thanks!

Re.1: KSDII-Ace doesn't seem to have such a document. I wonder if anyone here, would have this Manual (SH4 and/or KSDII) as a single pdf file ...

Re.2: My Windows/Monitor settings are 1280 x 1024, 60Hz ... so, nothing special.
I checked the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg", but they don't match all of the commands of KSDII found in the Game Help Menue (F1) ...
My biggest issue to this point actually is, that the Speed Gauge, Compass, Depth Gauge and Clock on the bottom, actually block access/view to/of other gauges and command buttons, that are located behind them (e.g., fuel, battery, compressed air) ... and when I collaps these using the <Del> key on the NumPad, they all disappear ...

Re.3: Understood. I figured out by now, that the shifts apparently change every 8h and when I move each shift around, I can send them to their bunks. So, indeed, nothing spcial there.