SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-22, 01:39 AM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Well I agree with August...and aside from global warming, pandemics, WWII.V, mass shootings, asteroids, and the supreme Court's baffling recent recisions on the Voter Rights Act and Roe vs Wade, to compete with the Congressional lunacy and the unstellar Presidency, I`m reminded: "All government is bad; but ours is the least worst" and at my age I'll settle for that.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 06:40 PM   #17
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well I had a great Independence Day celebration. I'm glad such unwarranted negativity does not permeate in my social circles.

It's sad to see how many of my fellow countrymen have become blind to the many good things about our homeland and now can only see the few bad parts. I have lived in other parts of the world. We have a good thing here, we really do but it seems that increasing numbers of us want to just throw it all away, burn it down, with little heed to what horror will likely replace it.

I guess it's basic human nature that we tend not to respect what we don't earn. The easier we get something the easier we tend to loose it and maybe that's why all the great human societies eventually crumble.

The people who built the society, nurtured it into something great, defended it against powerful enemies eventually die out. The effort that it took becomes an increasingly distant memory as the generations pass on. Eventually it becomes distant enough that people take what they created for granted, they don't feel any connection to it, find it's values obsolete and now can only see it's few remaining or invented flaws as insurmountable obstacles.

What to do about it? I don't know. As I get older I find it increasingly difficult to care very deeply because the world is going to do what it will do regardless of what I want, but I don't have any kids so I would imagine that it's a lot easier for me to feel that way than a parent could.
"Unwarranted negativity"? More like the reality of the country. We are not free, we have the illusion of freedom, not actual freedom.

Not blind to the few good things about this country, but we are in terrible shape and have been for some time. Things could be much better but we have rigged system designed to prevent substantial social change, to maintain a order that increasingly does not work for most people. Some people, especially older ones choose to ignore this and live in the false mindset instilled via propaganda during their formative years, the Cold War era.

I am always reminded of the great George Carlin's quote "It is called the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it."
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 08:31 PM   #18
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
"Unwarranted negativity"? More like the reality of the country. We are not free, we have the illusion of freedom, not actual freedom.

That's your opinion just like my opinion is that it's unwarranted and negative. (insert shrug shoulders smiley)

Quote:
Not blind to the few good things about this country, but we are in terrible shape and have been for some time. Things could be much better but we have rigged system designed to prevent substantial social change, to maintain a order that increasingly does not work for most people. Some people, especially older ones choose to ignore this and live in the false mindset instilled via propaganda during their formative years, the Cold War era.
So instead of trying to change it for the better you are giving up and moving on, like your country was a crappy hotel whose level of services do not meet your high standards. Well if that's all your country means to you then I for one don't want to even try to convince you to stay.

Quote:
I am always reminded of the great George Carlin's quote "It is called the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it."
Yet George Carlin is a self made American millionaire who is a shining example of the American dream in action. And you know that for all his complaining about life in these good old United States he never considered leaving for some imaginary foreign utopia.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote