Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-21, 02:14 PM   #61
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I think EV are part of an overall strategy for lowering emissions. Certainly not the answer all to the issue. Natural gas is also part of the strategy IMO.

In addition to that nobody uses acid batteries in EV's so there's no levels to check measurement to take or equalization phases.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 02:22 PM   #62
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
In addition to that nobody uses acid batteries in EV's so there's no levels to check measurement to take or equalization phases.
Battery technology has come a long way. Imagine if GM did not kill their EV program in the 80s so to make Humvee for civilian sale? Look at today's cellphones. I can charge mine in about 20 minutes.. With growing infrastructure for EV, the popularity and desire to utilize a EV will grow. This is coming from as guy who owns a 1954 and 1960 Buick. The engineering of today is light-years from what we powered our vehicles.
Old 04-04-21, 02:47 PM   #63
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Ford says that they are just two years away from having a solid state battery which is the best next big thing.

I found this that Toyota is ahead of everyone else ...

Just wait for the first electric car charging at home to start the first big California wild fire.

Portland, Oregon already offers free electric car charging if you shop downtown and Biden is said to be pro-electric cars and trucks with a budget for thousands of charging stations all over the country (at our expense)

Here's the downside ... if and when electric cars take over gasoline will go up to $5.00 a gal for the law of supply and demand.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Who is leading solid state battery?

Toyota

Quote:
Toyota, with a strong solid-state development history and 200+ engineers working on solid-state battery technology, is considered a leader here. Strong participation from EV/HEV makers is extremely important for solid-state battery commercialization.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 02:47 PM   #64
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

If there isn't some major breakthrough regarding these car batteries in these Electrics cars we may see an end of this era in the future.

Driving 70-90 km on one charge-range depending on temp= Lower temp=shorter distance.

Time of charging-Can't remember how long it takes to fully charge a tesla when almost dry.

Think Climate change some may say-well I guess an owner of a tesla car who has to make several stops to charge the cars battery and have to wait until it's almost full, may one day become tired of it.

Gasoline is absolutely not the future.

What kind of stuff we may use in our cars 100 years from now I don't know.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 02:52 PM   #65
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I don't see gas completely gone in your and my lifetime. It will take time and acceptence. Gas powered vehicles are not part of this mud ball we call earth for long. In the bigger picture, how will gas tax be replaced? Another issue on the horizon.
Old 04-04-21, 03:09 PM   #66
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I don't see gas completely gone in your and my lifetime. It will take time and acceptence. Gas powered vehicles are not part of this mud ball we call earth for long. In the bigger picture, how will gas tax be replaced? Another issue on the horizon.
I wrote In the future.

And what we use in 100 years from now.

Maybe we have found a way to make ordinary gasoline green.No CO2 and other nasty stuff in it with same effect as it has today.

Oil is not what we call renewable energy

Markus

Old 04-04-21, 05:18 PM   #67
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I am not against e-cars. Just against a concept of e-cars needing batteries that must be recharged via a complex, expensive and time-consuming infrastriutre to be newly created.

If you travel from North to South Germany in an e-car, you now need many times as much time for that trip, and are being accompanied by constant fear that the weather maybe asks a higher toll from the batteries, or the next charger is defect, and you sit hours and hours (accumulated) beside chargers and watch nothing while the battery gets loaded once again, or... or... or... And this stupid nonsense they sell us as "progress"...? In my book its a massive step backwards. Battery cars like this only have a place in the short range infrastructure within a city.

Hydrogen that gets tanked in like gas, that is the way to go. Can in parts even use alrready existing infrastructure.

But then engenious formdiable palnned economy scientists and visionaries would need to admit that they were wrong, so the yprefer to use the power of the state to push an erratic strategy ever more forward.

In Asia they are more intelligent - China, Japan, Korea develope BOTH, parallel, and use both.

I like ebikes, however. But nobody should be mistaken: its expensive a way to ride bicycle, the runnig costs add up. Do not buy such a thing to ease your ecological conscience or to save money over your car, do it because it is fun to drive ebike. And do it only for that reason - and no other. The running costs pile up, really: Chains, gears, wear out much faster and must be replaced at frequencies you usually only see at pro race drivers' bikes. I replace all this every 750-1100 km. Thats much. Plus my third battery just bought, and my motor just got replaced for the first time, after 12000km. After five years (no matter how much you used them) you must accept battery max capacity loss of 25-30%, just due to aging. Thats why I always ask: how long last those car batteries, because these age just with time, too. Charging and decharging cycles only speed up aging, too.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-04-21 at 05:30 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 05:38 PM   #68
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I am not against e-cars. Just against a concept of e-cars needing batteries that must be recharged via a complex, expensive and time-consuming infrastriutre to be newly created.

o
Much was said about roadways that criss cross the United States. Yet, it was accomplished with tax dollars paid by those that utilize these roads.
Old 04-05-21, 05:22 PM   #69
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

So what some of you are implying is gas vehicles are necessary to preserve gas taxes, so we can't shift to e-vehicles or other forms of propulsion other than gas? Interesting that the segment of the population most associated with railing against taxation is using preservation of gas taxation as an argument against alternative fuels...

<O>
Old 04-05-21, 06:42 PM   #70
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
So what some of you are implying is gas vehicles are necessary to preserve gas taxes, so we can't shift to e-vehicles or other forms of propulsion other than gas? Interesting that the segment of the population most associated with railing against taxation is using preservation of gas taxation as an argument against alternative fuels...

<O>
What segment is using preservation of gas powered vehicles for taxation as an argument? I know if no one. Realize a gallon of gas is about a $1. The remainder of the charge for that gallon is taxes. Where do you suggest the lost tax revenue on the sale of gas comes from? It's a legitimate question that deserves a solid answer. Tax per mile as one on Capitol Hill suggested? Tax per volt charged?
Old 04-06-21, 01:18 AM   #71
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
What segment is using preservation of gas powered vehicles for taxation as an argument? I know if no one. Realize a gallon of gas is about a $1. The remainder of the charge for that gallon is taxes. Where do you suggest the lost tax revenue on the sale of gas comes from? It's a legitimate question that deserves a solid answer. Tax per mile as one on Capitol Hill suggested? Tax per volt charged?

All I was doing is observing how, when the subject of going to alternative, non-petroleum-based fuels/propulsion is raised, many of those who oppose such alternates seem to be quick to raise the issue of lost gas tax revenues as an argument against the adoption of alternatives; if you are concerned about the loss of gas taxes, I would offer the possibility, among some others at play, of taxation of charging stations with the cost of the tax passed along as it is now done with gas taxes; I have noted, in recent months, a rapidly growing number of gas stations, in my area, installing and advertising electric vehicle charging station on their lots; it would seem they do, indeed, see the future and are wise enough to adapt rather than die...

As for who has raised preservation of gas powered vehicles foe taxation, particularly since a substantial bulk of the funds for roadways comes from gasoline taxes, you, yourself, in your post previous to my prior post raised it as a sort of argument:

Quote:
Much was said about roadways that criss cross the United States. Yet, it was accomplished with tax dollars paid by those that utilize these roads.

The implication of your statement is the continued maintenance and possible expansion of the roadway may well be jeopardized should there be a decline in the number of gas powered vehicles; I did not intend for the statement to be seen as directed towards you, personally, but, rather, to what I have heard and seen in recent years in the the media when the issue comes up; there seems to always be some person, politician, or entity who will wring their hands over the loss of the 'precious' gas taxes; I am quite sure there will be some way to account for the decrease in taxes, say, perhaps, an idea like a tax on mileage to be paid for by the drivers at the time of their annual vehicle registration, an idea which has been floated in several states...

Still, it does seem amusing that a good many of those who openly decry taxation in general seem to find the need to bring up the loss of gas taxes as a crutch for their arguments against alternative fuels...

<O>
Old 04-06-21, 08:30 AM   #72
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I do not have a car today and my driving licens is out of date(not interested in getting a new)

I made a search on how far you can go on a fully charged Tesla

Quote:
Getting 400 miles out of one tank of gas or diesel is not a big deal; most hybrids can easily get into the 500-mile range and diesel SUVs with 20- to 30-gallon tanks can hit 600-700 miles between fill-ups. But for electric vehicles, the 400-mile range frontier is a big deal.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/can-...single-charge/

It would mean the death of gasoline and diesel the day an electric car can go 600-700 miles on one charge independent of the weather

Markus

Old 04-06-21, 08:51 AM   #73
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

One thing nobody talks about is that fossil fuels are actually renewable resources. Organic matter dies and gets captured in the earth all the time - it's an ongoing process. The quest is to figure out where the stuff from a million years ago is as we empty the stuff from 2 million years ago...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 08:58 AM   #74
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
All I was doing is observing how, when the subject of going to alternative, non-petroleum-based fuels/propulsion is raised, many of those who oppose such alternates seem to be quick to raise the issue of lost gas tax revenues as an argument against the adoption of alternatives; if you are concerned about the loss of gas taxes, I would offer the possibility, among some others at play, of taxation of charging stations with the cost of the tax passed along as it is now done with gas taxes; I have noted, in recent months, a rapidly growing number of gas stations, in my area, installing and advertising electric vehicle charging station on their lots; it would seem they do, indeed, see the future and are wise enough to adapt rather than die...

As for who has raised preservation of gas powered vehicles foe taxation, particularly since a substantial bulk of the funds for roadways comes from gasoline taxes, you, yourself, in your post previous to my prior post raised it as a sort of argument:

The implication of your statement is the continued maintenance and possible expansion of the roadway may well be jeopardized should there be a decline in the number of gas powered vehicles; I did not intend for the statement to be seen as directed towards you, personally, but, rather, to what I have heard and seen in recent years in the the media when the issue comes up; there seems to always be some person, politician, or entity who will wring their hands over the loss of the 'precious' gas taxes; I am quite sure there will be some way to account for the decrease in taxes, say, perhaps, an idea like a tax on mileage to be paid for by the drivers at the time of their annual vehicle registration, an idea which has been floated in several states...

Still, it does seem amusing that a good many of those who openly decry taxation in general seem to find the need to bring up the loss of gas taxes as a crutch for their arguments against alternative fuels...

<O>
There is no implication. Tax dollars will be lost with reduces gas sales. What will replace it? There is no argument for or against gas sales and taxes. It is a question only. What will fill the gap?
Old 04-06-21, 04:54 PM   #75
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

It shouldn't be a tax by the volt seeing as how, unlike petrol, one can produce ones own electricity.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics cars, tesla