SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-19, 08:54 PM   #46
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Don't forget that stainless steel car that old Detroit car executive made in Ireland became a collectors item and so shall this one.

Isn't this just a prototype? Not even on the road yet.

What if this one has the same batteries that explode.

Tesla talks big, but they take too long to deliver.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 09:18 PM   #47
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

F1 thinks differently.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...BsjKyPiFf.html

“What we can do is we can show the world that there are alternatives to electric power and there are alternatives to storing electricity in heavy and, I have to say, somewhat dirty batteries,” Symonds concludes."

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 09:46 PM   #48
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
"Reliable"

Sorry, that mess looks like a low budget prop in B sci-fi movie that went straight to video.

Can you imagine the ignominy of being the first pedestrian killed by the cybertruck?

He probably won't hear it coming.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-19, 01:08 PM   #49
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Don't forget that stainless steel car that old Detroit car executive made in Ireland became a collectors item and so shall this one.

Isn't this just a prototype? Not even on the road yet.

What if this one has the same batteries that explode.

Tesla talks big, but they take too long to deliver.
That's a good point, this car could be worth 5x its purchase price in 20 years! Nice.
Old 11-24-19, 01:36 PM   #50
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

The DeLorean?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-19, 01:40 PM   #51
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ I liked that one, if not the boring Volvo innards.

Regading the Tesla pickup there are already 150,000 preorders

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-19, 02:08 PM   #52
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I find that so hard to believe. Well, if they do sell, we will easily know it when we see them on the road.
Old 11-24-19, 04:32 PM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Ignoring the ugly looks and taking it for granted it offers sufficient functionality and reliability, I have one question: how long lives the battery? I do not mean range per charge, i mean: how long until the batteries must be replaced, how many years? How long until they have lost a pratcial usage range when fully charged (because evry battery looses maximum capacity it can hold from first charging-uncharging cycle on)? Because that is what decides the material reselling value of e-cars, and so far it is a total mess. Just three years ago replacing the batteries of a Smart costed almost as much as buying a new car. And new battery technology enters the car production cycles three to four times a year, more or less. The tech standard in them ages very fast. And that means: loss of reselling value. Also keep on mind Musk'S business motto: he has said that he does not want to offer software updates and firmware updates on and on, but that he demands Tesla customers to buy new cars with new kits rather sooner than later.

So much for ecology and sustainability.

Here in germany a Tesla recently drove into a tree. It immediately went up in flames, and exploded. The drivers escaped quite closely, with burnings and fractures. The fire brigade had to store the car submersed in an aqua tank for days because Tesla could not tell them how to extinguish the ongoing chemical fires in the battery compartment. I repeat: the car was kept fully submersed in water FOR DAYS.

Hydrogen cells, okay, in the long run count me aboard. Japan goes for that, China seems to head into it, so does Korea apparently, at least they run both ways currently. But this battery madness Europe voted for exclusively? Lithium, dirty mining for it, the ecological footprint of building batteries, the unsolved infrastructure issue? Not with me. Some time ago I read about a calculation - in ecological means - regarding Diesel cars and Lithium battery cars. They said that there is a net gain in advantages not before some higher six-digit km distance driven in the e-car. I forgot the exact number, 180 thousand is on my mind, but I do not swear on it. All the hype and hysteria - for THIS...??? Calculates very badly. Very, very badly.

But helps to de-industrialise the West, especially Germany, and bring down the national economy and burgeoise society model. And that is what many want.
Old 11-24-19, 05:31 PM   #54
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Batteries
I have throughout the years read and seen documentary about batteries in the future.

Such as Nano based batteries nano batteries and if my memory doesn't fail me...virus based battery.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 12:47 PM   #55
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

I can't believe the way people are today bashing a Mustang E owner
with death threats no less.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...fT8?li=BBnbfcL

Quote:
Sergio Rodriguez never imagined saying nice things about his new Ford Mustang Mach-E would elicit "death threats" from Tesla owners on social media.

What started this round of social media sparring was a tweet on Saturday by Jace Craft-Miller, who picked up his Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E First Edition on March 29.

The 29-year-old sales project manager from Cleveland, Ohio tweeted, "All these Tesla fanbois reach out saying how much they hate the Mach-E ... blah blah."

And Rodriguez, who was featured in the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network, in early March, replied,

"I've had them message me death threats over my joy with the Mach-E."

A veteran no less

Quote:
Rodriguez, 41, a U.S. Army veteran who served two tours in Iraq and specialized in explosive ordnance disposal, is now a military contractor living in Saint Marys, Georgia.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 01:13 PM   #56
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
I can't believe the way people are today bashing a Mustang E owner
with death threats no less.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...fT8?li=BBnbfcL

"I've had them message me death threats over my joy with the Mach-E."

A veteran no less
Crazy. The E Machine is a very good electric car. What's not to like about instant torque? I'm strongly considering an electric for my daily commute. 15 mile round trip per day. At that rate I would only need to charge the vehicle once a week.. KIA has a nice electric car. Volkswagen is now Voltswagen.
Old 04-04-21, 01:18 PM   #57
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I guess you are not allowed to have fun with a car

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 01:23 PM   #58
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I guess you are not allowed to have fun with a car
What is your idea if fun in a car? Check out a Tesla beating Jay Leno in a AC Cobra in a flat start. Electric are instantaneous torque where gas engines are not. The body feels torque. Not speed.
Old 04-04-21, 01:27 PM   #59
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Ignoring the ugly looks and taking it for granted it offers sufficient functionality and reliability, I have one question: how long lives the battery? I do not mean range per charge, i mean: how long until the batteries must be replaced, how many years? How long until they have lost a pratcial usage range when fully charged (because evry battery looses maximum capacity it can hold from first charging-uncharging cycle on)? Because that is what decides the material reselling value of e-cars, and so far it is a total mess. Just three years ago replacing the batteries of a Smart costed almost as much as buying a new car. And new battery technology enters the car production cycles three to four times a year, more or less. The tech standard in them ages very fast. And that means: loss of reselling value. Also keep on mind Musk'S business motto: he has said that he does not want to offer software updates and firmware updates on and on, but that he demands Tesla customers to buy new cars with new kits rather sooner than later.

So much for ecology and sustainability.

Here in germany a Tesla recently drove into a tree. It immediately went up in flames, and exploded. The drivers escaped quite closely, with burnings and fractures. The fire brigade had to store the car submersed in an aqua tank for days because Tesla could not tell them how to extinguish the ongoing chemical fires in the battery compartment. I repeat: the car was kept fully submersed in water FOR DAYS.

Hydrogen cells, okay, in the long run count me aboard. Japan goes for that, China seems to head into it, so does Korea apparently, at least they run both ways currently. But this battery madness Europe voted for exclusively? Lithium, dirty mining for it, the ecological footprint of building batteries, the unsolved infrastructure issue? Not with me. Some time ago I read about a calculation - in ecological means - regarding Diesel cars and Lithium battery cars. They said that there is a net gain in advantages not before some higher six-digit km distance driven in the e-car. I forgot the exact number, 180 thousand is on my mind, but I do not swear on it. All the hype and hysteria - for THIS...??? Calculates very badly. Very, very badly.

But helps to de-industrialise the West, especially Germany, and bring down the national economy and burgeoise society model. And that is what many want.
This. No one wants to admit that all of today's "clean" electric cars use batteries whose production is extremely polluting and whose battery life is limited. One could possibly use batteries that allowed greater manual control of charging to extend battery life, but most consumers aren't going to measure cell voltages, take specific gravity measurements, perform an equalizing charge, etc. - and that is even assuming that such batteries had sufficient energy density to allow their use in passenger vehicles.

We might be better off pursuing LPG or CNG in passenger vehicles.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 01:40 PM   #60
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
This. No one wants to admit that all of today's "clean" electric cars use batteries whose production is extremely polluting and whose battery life is limited. One could possibly use batteries that allowed greater manual control of charging to extend battery life, but most consumers aren't going to measure cell voltages, take specific gravity measurements, perform an equalizing charge, etc. - and that is even assuming that such batteries had sufficient energy density to allow their use in passenger vehicles.

We might be better off pursuing LPG or CNG in passenger vehicles.
I think EV are part of an overall strategy for lowering emissions. Certainly not the answer all to the issue. Natural gas is also part of the strategy IMO.

Tags
electrics cars, tesla