SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-17, 12:56 PM   #1
Faith
Bosun

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 6
Default Merging with different dates

I am currently merging the US campaign layers into the German ones. Since I use RSRD, there are far more different campaign layers for the Fleet Boat campaign that it's german one.

When a layer starting in 1943 is combined with a layer starting in 1941, does the game forces changes to the unit proprieties? As far as I have tested, no ship has regressed to 1941 armaments, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case.
Can anyone confirm whether this happens?
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 02:43 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There is much more to a group showing up from the particular campaign MIS file they are in. Most of those files are "loaded" with the Campaign.cfg (Fleet Boat side) or CampaignGE.cfg (German side) files, so that also determines when a particular group would show. The folder structure on the German side is also different from the Fleet Boat side. I wouldn't "merge" anything, except maybe the Campaign.cfg file with the CampaignGE.cfg file, but keep it CampaignGE.cfg in the same location. Be sure and make a copy of the original GampaignGE.cfg file before you begin the process. The game can and will reach across the folder structures, as can be seen by a few of the calls in the CampaignGE.cfg file. One thing to keep in mind here, is that you would be in essence, doubling some of the layers, which would mean much more traffic than anywhere near historical or even the overblown SH4 Stock proportions, if you keep both sets of files. Therefore, you won't need some of the layers. It can be fun to experiment with this stuff, but it can also be very frustrating... - Big thing - you'll find that the US and Australian traffic levels and patterns are not based on anything except what someone plugged into the game. Nothing like RSRDC. Lurker might have some in the Operation Monsun mod, which if he does, would be a much easier undertaking than what you're trying to do...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 03:18 AM   #3
Faith
Bosun

Thanks propbeanie. I'll use the .cfg and move on from there.

Small question on harbor traffic: I've added a few ships at Truk and tested to see if it works. It was a lagfest of massive proportions. The ships I've added seem to have "multiplied" inside one another. When it was a random ship, for instance a destroyer, 4 or 5 different destroyers, such as 2 Mutsukis, 1 Akatsuki, and 2 Akizukis appeared, each stuck within one another. When it was a specific ship, like a Chitose Seaplane Tender, 6 of the exact same ship spawned! The sailors were clipping through themselves as they stood around.

Unfortunately, I don't have an account on imgur to show pictures.

Is it due to the sheer amount of ships that are spawning? Or is it something else that I can modify, like in the ship proprieties?
Old 09-02-17, 08:10 AM   #4
propbeanie

You've re-created a "stock" game issue with your additions. The problem basically lies in the spawn rate, and the fact that the Jap_HarborTraffic.mis file runs for the duration of the game (as does the US_HarborTraffic.mis file). If you input a unit or RGG (Random Generated Group) to spawn at a given location, the game will "default" to settings of 10,000 groups, of 100 vessels each, every 24 hours at a 100% rate. If you figure the game has no leap years, and therefore 365 days a year, you've got a total of nearly 1500 groups generating by the end of the war. Just for one little RGG icon on the map. The game would overload and crash your computer by 1943 with just one of those. So, the devs of the game decided that they would change the spawn time to every 900 hours from the 24... That's still 40 groups from each RGG that's "docked" in the game, and the game can and does crash by mid 1943 if you go visit certain traffic-heavy areas. Also, if you use the "Player" function in the Mission Editor, you will find several of the "Docked" RGG ~not~ docked, but rather moving around the world in a line set to where they were pointed. Most of those are around Japan itself, and you really need to find those and be sure and set their speed to zero, and make sure the "Docked Ship" is checked, and the "Delete on last waypoint" is unchecked. You need to adjust the amount of Groups and Units that the game spawns, and set the Dates to more "refined" settings.

Old 09-03-17, 01:45 AM   #5
Faith
Bosun

Thanks for the clarification propbeanie.
Old 09-03-17, 09:59 AM   #6
propbeanie

My "clarification" kind of muddied the waters a bit... After you find the troublesome RGG in the "Stock" files, and you then go to add units to the game, ~those~ are the ones I was referring to that you have "refine" the limits of their spawn rates and frequencies... Of course, if you really want to get into it, the "Stock" game needs that done to it also, but unless you're into "deep modding", I wouldn't bother too much with that. Just try to find those RGG that I refer to as "run-a-way spawns" - like 7 groups of them - and make certain that they're "DockedShip=True" (they're set to "False" in the game), and you'll eliminate a lot of the "Stock" game's issues with over-sized DD encounters of the weird kind. Webster's Game Fixes Only mod does a more thorough job of fixing things though, and is a lot of fun to play...