SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-23, 03:16 PM   #1
VoidsX
Watch

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Persistent CTD for SH4

Hi, I'm hoping to get help with this random CTD problem. In one campaign I happened to save after a sinking and this CTD seems to happen at the same of day over and over again. I'm using these mods:

VoidsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-23, 04:14 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

VoidsX, it looks like you have a good install folder location. I also do not see any Radio Station mods, of which one of those does have an out-of-sequence entry that can cause a CTD at the same time same day every time in the game. Did you maybe have one of those activated earlier?? I also do not see a torpedo mod, one of which only causes issue with the Mark 10 torpedo... Had you emptied the Save folder prior to starting with your current mod set-up? If not, that might be the source of trouble. If you are not too far into a career, navigate into the C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 folder in Windows Explorer, and delete it all. You will lose all progress in the game thus far, and it will re-set your display and other user settings, but then you are assured that the next time you start the game, that it will re-create the folder with all new data. SH4, for whatever reason, does not overwrite existing files in the Save folder after you activate (or de-activate) mods. Also, in theory, you shouldn't need the 10 eye patch mod in v1.5 of the game... usually... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-23, 06:00 AM   #3
VoidsX
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
VoidsX, it looks like you have a good install folder location. I also do not see any Radio Station mods, of which one of those does have an out-of-sequence entry that can cause a CTD at the same time same day every time in the game. Did you maybe have one of those activated earlier?? I also do not see a torpedo mod, one of which only causes issue with the Mark 10 torpedo... Had you emptied the Save folder prior to starting with your current mod set-up? If not, that might be the source of trouble. If you are not too far into a career, navigate into the C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 folder in Windows Explorer, and delete it all. You will lose all progress in the game thus far, and it will re-set your display and other user settings, but then you are assured that the next time you start the game, that it will re-create the folder with all new data. SH4, for whatever reason, does not overwrite existing files in the Save folder after you activate (or de-activate) mods. Also, in theory, you shouldn't need the 10 eye patch mod in v1.5 of the game... usually... lol
Hi, I deleted the documents game folder and started a new campaign, it didn't crash this time but I ran into another problem... it started randomly lagging really bad at compression 512 and above, tried saving and reloading, same deal. I also get a "SH4 has crashed" message when I close the game.
Old 05-24-23, 01:55 PM   #4
propbeanie

You might notice the lagging around busy locations, and whenever something "spawns" into the game. So when you are near home port, especially within roughly 24nm, that you will have lag. Same when coming back in. When you get near some major ports, the same thing, whether enemy or friendly. There is just more traffic nearby. Airplanes especially will affect the "lag". So if you are cruising the middle of the ocean at 512x TC, and you notice a little "hitch" in the display, that means that something just spawned. Drop back to 1x TC, whether the game does it or not, and check your sixes, maybe even diving to PD and check the hydrophone. You might find something. Kind of a "cheat" way to find targets, but it does work... lol

Old 05-25-23, 10:24 AM   #5
VoidsX
Watch

Ok, well I have yet another problem. There's a weird fog bug where it gets reported as light fog but blinds me completely, can't see any ship until I'm close enough to ram it. Is there any mod that fixes that?
Old 05-28-23, 08:11 AM   #6
VoidsX
Watch

Found it. If anyone is using Real environment mod and has the blinding "light fog" problem, this mod fixes it. Works fine with GFO/MaxOptics

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=524

another with slower waves:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1032
Old 05-28-23, 07:23 PM   #7
propbeanie

Ah yesh, the ole fog bank trick... Also, the "Volumetric Fog" setting in the game will make your deck crew look like ghosts...