SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-22, 04:20 PM   #256
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

its sh4.exe thats causing it, I turned my uac off totally. I am now on 11 and no such repeat
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-23, 01:40 PM   #257
NSave
Nub

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuerte14 View Post
I have both Steam and disc version to install from. I also have read through some FAQs after the first fault so what I've tried already are:

1) Install folder is apart from default suggestion, even named with no spaces, like Drive:/SilentHunter4
2) High DPI Override engaged
3) No additional items were skipped during the install (though only disc version offers them, Steam doesnt)
4) Installed DX9 from a separate offline installer after the game is installed
5) Copy/paste dx9 dlls from the SysWOW64 folder as mentioned above
6) Run .exe in Vista SP2 or Win7 compatibility mode
7) Even tried to LAA patch executable, though I have 32Gb RAM onboard under the Win10 x64

both versions - same result. Game freezes when I try to start campaign or go to the any settings

It's been years since i was last here, but decided to come back to this game and i have the exact problem like this one. Not sure if this specific was resolved in another thread.

I have the Ubisoft version, completely vanilla installed and experience the exact same freeze upon choosing graphic settings or starting a career. I vividly remember that i did not have this problem ~ 1/2 years ago when i played this game on Win 10 (currently Win 11)

For what it's worth, i tried with the compatibility settings mentioned in this thread, switching from onboard to dedicated graphic card but still the same.
NSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 12:16 PM   #258
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

No two computers are exactly alike, so you might still have to experiment with the Properties settings on the SH4.exe file. Back on page 15, I posted one of those pictures Post #216, and if you look at the top mini-window that is gotten to when clicking on the "Change high DPI settings" button, at the top is the "Program DPI" section, which actually the "Scaling" settings. You could try ticking that top box for "User this setting for scaling problems..." and then choose "Whenever I open this program" in the drop-down for "Use the DPI that's set..." section. I have to use that for my 4k display when running the game at 1920x1080, since Windows then wants to "scale" things for me, and misses badly...

Both the Steam game and the Ubisoft version install the DirectX v9.0c files for you, so that should not be the issue. If however, you are modding the game, and are in the default Ubisoft install folder of C:\Program Files (x86), then Windows is trashing any mod you might be applying, and that can also cause issues such as you describe. You want to install the game in a folder you have created yourself, such as "C:\Games \Ubisoft...", and then Windows will not bother your game. The Stock version of the game will not have this issue.

If however, you upgraded your Windows 10 to Windows 11, you will have to re-install the SH4 from scratch. It is NOT a modern game by any stretch of the imagination, and has multiple issues after an upgrade of the OS. Uninstall the game, and delete the C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 folder to eliminate the Save folder data, and then re-install the game. That should then properly register it with Windows, and hopefully, all will be well in the SubSim world then...

btw, the board is being a bit finicky about your posts, showing only this one, but the "counter" says you have two... So if it is your first post, "Welcome to SubSim!" If not, perhaps a "nice silent run!" is more appropriate?? Perhaps Aktungbby can suss it out?? Either way

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-23, 02:16 PM   #259
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default SUSSIN" IT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
Perhaps Aktungbby can suss it out?? Either way
Welcome back NSave! & a belated but warm welcome to FUERTE14!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 07:07 PM   #260
Brightstar6
Watch

Downloads: 29
Default won't start

Game is installed window 10 on my external hard drive G:..Everything is installed along with JSGME..I hit play, and that is as far as i get..The game has worked on this pc before so it should work now..What am i doing wrong??
Brightstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 09:06 PM   #261
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight52 View Post
Game is installed window 10 on my external hard drive G:..Everything is installed along with JSGME..I hit play, and that is as far as i get..The game has worked on this pc before so it should work now..What am i doing wrong??
launch JSGME.
Click Tasks-Export-To Clipboard.
then reply to this post and paste what you copied (ctrl+v).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 10:23 PM   #262
Brightstar6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
launch JSGME.
Click Tasks-Export-To Clipboard.
then reply to this post and paste what you copied (ctrl+v).
I have tried that and the jsgme has no expot option, just import. If i should figure a way to copy it to clipboard how will i get to you?? Here is a hint, I AM NOT COMPUTER LITERATE, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL I AM DOING OR HOW TO DO IT..
Old 09-21-23, 08:26 AM   #263
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight52 View Post
I have tried that and the jsgme has no expot option, just import. If i should figure a way to copy it to clipboard how will i get to you?? Here is a hint, I AM NOT COMPUTER LITERATE, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL I AM DOING OR HOW TO DO IT..
calm yourself.

launch JSGME.
then click on Tasks

then click on Export activated Mods to

then click on Clipboard

then, come back to your browser window, find this post on Subsim, click on the reply icon,

...click in the white text box where you normally type, then hold down the ctrl key and press the v key. you will see something similar to this:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
300 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
310 Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
410_Strategic_Map_Symbols
600 - 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
999 Flotillas Fix for Argo&Nautilus

click on Submit Reply button. next time i am online, i can view your mods list as well as your installation folder.
this will help me help you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-23, 10:52 AM   #264
Brightstar6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
calm yourself.

launch JSGME.
then click on Tasks

then click on Export activated Mods to

then click on Clipboard

then, come back to your browser window, find this post on Subsim, click on the reply icon,

...click in the white text box where you normally type, then hold down the ctrl key and press the v key. you will see something similar to this:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
300 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
310 Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
410_Strategic_Map_Symbols
600 - 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
999 Flotillas Fix for Argo&Nautilus

click on Submit Reply button. next time i am online, i can view your mods list as well as your installation folder.
this will help me help you.

My apologies for my tantrum..Frustration does strange things to me...The mods are not activated in the game..The game simply will not run..I can get the game to reach the play option , i click play and nothing happens..

Last edited by Brightstar6; 09-21-23 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 10:44 PM   #265
TopcatWA
Navy Dude

Downloads: 36

After running Silent Hunter IV on Windows 8.1 64-Bit for a few years I decided to try it on Win10 Pro 64-Bit & following advice from the above posts finially got it to work with a bit of fiddling with graphics resolution settings.
Thanks to all involved with advice.
Now to try it on Win11!!LOL
03.Sobers_Better_Rocks & Sand
04.Small_Nav_Tools_w_Chrono
05.Brit_MkVIII_US_Mk28_Torps
06.ROW Sound effects.v.9/Enviromental 5.0
O/S Win10 Pro 64-Bit/Intel 64xQuad Core
CPU i7-4790+3.60 Ghz 32gig RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX-1650 Ti

Last edited by TopcatWA; 12-02-23 at 10:56 PM.
TopcatWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 01:17 AM   #266
Jack271
Nub

Downloads: 12

I managed to get SH4 running on a Surface Pro 6 running Windows 10. (Mind you this thing has 128 Mb of VRAM, 8gb of Ram, and an i5-8530U). With some finagling of windows and some long hard thinking it manages to run the game pretty well from what I can tell. Dunno how well modding would go, might melt the poor thing. It's funny that it will load the game faster than my main computer because it's running an SSD instead of hardrive.
Jack271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-23, 06:22 PM   #267
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Jack271!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote