SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-12, 06:17 AM   #1036
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

@TDW,

When I was working on the waypoints last night (actually when I was in the shower this morning thinking of the waypoints I was working on last night) one thing came to mind: would it be to much to ask if you can implement 'incorporate offsets' in the editor? Let me explain what I mean: fine-adjusting a waypoint for animation to play properly on it is way faster when using offsets in the waypoints_info_*.txt, but when you're satisfied with how the waypoint is positioned the offsets transfer into GR2 is rather cumbersome, I use OpenOffice Calc sheet where I write waypoints coordinates, then I write offsets there, do addition, then open the waypoint in the Editor and copy-paste the values, then I edit waypoints_info to zeroize the offsets. There is a huge room for an error as you can see. It would be much easier if we could just press 'Incorporate offsets', the editor would take offset values from the waypoints_info file adjust (x,y,z) of the respective waypoint and then zeroize the offset values in the waypoints_info.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 06:48 AM   #1037
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
Not being, "The Artist" in graphic design, if anyone is interrested in the "finishing" textures (he must know the different maps (Diffuse, Bump, UVW ...)
I can provide the work that I just made (with materials : Photos,pictures and more for a easy work ...)
Salut BIGREG,
I am highly interested in your work and I would be glad to help you with the graphical part of it.
Too bad, I am currently involved in some other projects, not to mention the usual real life routine. Once I'll get time I'll inform you, just in case you will be still in need of help!

@TDW
If only I could understand half of the features of your GR2 Editor, I am sure I would tell you: "brilliant work, as usual!"
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 02:57 PM   #1038
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

Hi All

Long work day, today

Thank you both

For Vanilla: Ok, I will continue on the conning tower

I have just to redo the needles size and buttons location and the
conning_room.GR2 edition for me will be finished Thank TDW

For GAP: Ok, as soon as you're "available" (disponible), send me a PM other if you want the Conning tower with the new textures
( 30 textures (diffuse&Bump) will just used for this room )

Annuler les modifications

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 03:36 PM   #1039
Vanilla
Lieutenant

I just managed to screw a gr2 with the Editor. Stupid me haven't done a back-up. I cannot say exactly how I did it since I knew it had been screwed only after trying to re-open it. Here is how I did it.
1. Opened up Submarine/Common/Rooms/Waypoints_Room_QR2.gr2
2. Selected first bone from the stern (this one was made by me)
3. Cloned it.
4. Selected second bone, this one is stock (SQ_SQ_WP02_DOOR), cloned it.
5. Selected third bone (SQ_SQ_WP03_DOOR stock as well), tried to clone. It gave me an unhandled exception error. Then I, if I remember correctly, saved the file, reopened it no prob. Repeated cloning for all the bones, renamed them, saved the file. Then when trying to open it failed. I'll try to reproduce. Stupid me have to re-do the file from scratch again.
Old 03-20-12, 03:48 PM   #1040
Vanilla
Lieutenant

One more screwed file, this time I was creating bones. I created all no problem and saved the file, but the last bone was somehow screwed, file cannot be open. I'll explore more.
Old 03-20-12, 04:05 PM   #1041
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Ok, it happens when several bones created in one go. Do this:
1. Open /Submarine/Common/Rooms/Waypoints_Room_QR2.gr2
2. Go to 'Bones' tab, select 'Skeleton' there
3. Do File-New-bone.
4. Choose 'Waypoints_Room_QR2' as a parent.
5. Create bone (see parameters below).
6. Repeat 1-5 for the other bones.
7. Save
8. Close
9. Try to open - error

here are the parameters (notice: the first and the last bones have rotation: x 0, y 1, z 0, w 0, the last number is LOD error)
Code:
                                X (red, Right+, Left-)    Y (green, Up+, Down-)    Z (blue, Bow+, Stern-)        X    Y    Z    W    
SQ_BED_stern_upper_left               0,03    0,008581    -0,074704        0    1    0    0    1,330672
SQ_BED_stern_lower_right    0,097    -0,018419    -0,067704                        1,330672
SQ_BED_bow_upper_right    -0,021608    0,008581    0,155067                        1,330672
SQ_1_Door_DER    0,007928    -0,015955    -0,25        0    1    0    0
Old 03-20-12, 04:18 PM   #1042
Vanilla
Lieutenant

This happens when third (or fourth, etc.) bone is added to a file which has two new bones already. I am sure that it is an issue of latest versions, since I have many files with more than two bones added.

One more thing, the Editor crashes on exit for me (Windows 7)
Old 03-20-12, 04:31 PM   #1043
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

[Quote :] One more thing, the Editor crashes on exit for me (Windows 7)

Idem

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 05:36 PM   #1044
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

For people extracting meshes for use in earlier versions of SH?
You'll have a problem or two.

Y needs to be negated and the textures will need to be flipped top to bottom.
Old 03-20-12, 10:52 PM   #1045
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
[Quote :] One more thing, the Editor crashes on exit for me (Windows 7)

Idem
Here too!
Old 03-21-12, 02:26 PM   #1046
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I can't get it to crash

I've been writing the code needed to read the trackgroup and animation data. Finished the trackgroups light night and should be finishing the animation today. This doesn't mean I can read animations, this means I'm reading the animation curve data (whatever that is).

Looking into problem with bones. Haven't found anything yet that would cause the problems Vanilla was having.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 03:36 PM   #1047
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Any news on new Material issue?
Old 03-21-12, 03:39 PM   #1048
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I can't get it to crash

I've been writing the code needed to read the trackgroup and animation data. Finished the trackgroups light night and should be finishing the animation today. This doesn't mean I can read animations, this means I'm reading the animation curve data (whatever that is).

Looking into problem with bones. Haven't found anything yet that would cause the problems Vanilla was having.
@TDW,

Let me send you a modded file, you try to clone a bone in it and let's see if it gives an error for you as well. Shall we?
Old 03-21-12, 03:46 PM   #1049
Vanilla
Lieutenant

PM's sent
Old 03-22-12, 08:16 PM   #1050
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
@TDW,

Let me send you a modded file, you try to clone a bone in it and let's see if it gives an error for you as well. Shall we?
The problem was a wicked problem to find The problem is a serious one though and if you have created any bones then the text in the GR2 file before the/those bone(s) is mangled (only one or two entries depending on where it fell in the file * number of bones you have added). So what I'm saying is the GR2 file isn't shredded but some text may not display properly If you added 5 bones you'll notice that the file fails to load in the app but does load in Granny Viewer. Anything after 5 bones is a crap shoot until you finally crash Granny Viewer also.

UNTIL I RELEASE A NEW TEST VERSION DO NOT ADD ANY NEW BONES! THE APP IS FLAWED CURRENTLY WITH THE ADDING OF THE NEW EMBEDDED STRINGS FOR THE NEW BONES.

Now that the problem is fixed in the upcoming test version you can add unlimited number of bones without problems. I've added 20 new bones to every test file and saw no problems (before the fix once I added the 5th new bone the app would fail).

The problem was the new embedded string pointer was not being adusted for the bone size. This resulted in the embedded strings being written in incorrect places and usually overwriting other embedded strings. Once an embedded string was written at an offset < startofdataoffset2 the app would fail (and rightly so!)

I'm now verifying that the adding of new materials doesn't have this problem
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote