SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-12, 10:19 AM   #16
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Actually the Barb and the Tirante both infiltrated heavily defended enemy anchorages at night and wreaked havoc among the anchored Japanese convoys there, so doing so was certainly possible. That it wasn't done a lot probably has more to do with the subs primary mission being interdicting commercial shipping.

It's too easy to do so in SH4, but this is much due to the AI and the fact the game is obviously designed around approaches only. But the point remains that if someone should have the guts to try (and succeed) such a strike should have a major impact on how the rest of the campaign plays out.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 10:27 AM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Attacking a harbor, even one "heavily defended" by several patrol boats, is not the same as slipping undetected into the enemy's primary naval base. This is not to demean Fluckey's or Street's accomplishments. They were heroes of the first order and did take on long odds and win, and fully deserved their decorations. But there was a reason no one ever attempted to attack Tokyo.
Old 07-03-12, 04:35 PM   #18
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Having come off a year-long stint in an MMO, I cannot say that I am terribly excited. MMOs tent to attract a type of gamer that is, shall we say, different than the simulation enthusiast. MMOs are all about who you play with, and I cannot say that I enjoyed my previous company in this vein. Take the worst troll, flamers and grognards in the history of SubSim and multiply that by 100. This is what you get.

I could be proven wrong.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 05:13 PM   #19
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Precisely why I despise multiplayer anything. I want to play on my terms. I don't share well.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote