SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-22, 07:42 AM   #1
Comrade K
Watch

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default bug at the port

is there a mod that makes the port more stable? because some of the times when I was in or entering the harbor some ships hit each other and some caught fire or were on land moreover this happens after stormy weather will make things worse. this really spoils the feel of the game.
Comrade K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 08:20 AM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

Help us help you.

Are you using a supermod? If so which one. List the mods you currently have installed and the order you have installed them.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 10:32 AM   #3
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default re

not sure if this is your problem, but it sounds all to familiar to an issue I had many moons ago, while playing GWX3. In my GWX3 mod soup, I activated the mod "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships v7" (hope I got that right). Almost every port I tried, I experenced what you're experencing, except Kiel. Kiel and the cannel were perfect. When I reverted back to " GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships v6", all was good. I never found a reason for why v6 worked and v7 didn't. It could have been another mod conflicting or that the SHIII Gods were messing with me that day, but v6 worked, so i ran with it. I hope this helps. Now if your not playing GWX3 with "GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships v7" activated, with more info, someone will definitely be along that get you pointed in the right direction
Old 07-02-22, 11:00 AM   #4
Comrade K
Watch

Downloads: 69

here's a list of mods i'm using

GWX-English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX-Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX-Main movie- 'Das Boot" GWX-Merged Campaign
GWX-Open Hatch Mod
GWX-VIIC41 Player Sub
Raptor's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
Raptor's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
M.E.Pv6
Optional - FSF for MEP v6
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v6
Optional Zoomable Free Camera
Moon light mod
New clearsky_clouds
Sh3 volumetric clouds&fog V2.2
Rubini's Underwater dust&plancton v1
FM30 UpDown GWX
GWX DFa-Flag&Pens 2010
Waterstream-Exhaust Combi V2.3 for GWX3
Waterstream Exhaust Combi-Single Exhaust for Typell
New Uboat Guns 1.2 rework
QShip mod GWX3.0
MFM-Improved
CAM-Ship
Ricks GWX Rec_Man_Final Rbs1 SH4 Effects GWX 30 71
LifeBoats&Debris d
Rbs3withlifeboat
Rbs10-enhancedoilexplosion
Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA
WideScreen MaGui v34-5A FIX for GWX v3-2017
FM NI Fix for WideScreen MaGui v3.4-SA
Raptor's Das Boot Interior
Raptor's Das Boot Skin
Raptor's Instruments V3.5 [Without Red Circle]
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
Torpedo damage Final ver2.0
Torpedo HAHD 1024_GWX
DasBoot Sound Pack
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
EnvSimAct 10
Comrade K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 06:29 PM   #5
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

It may not be the issue in this case but these things can happen by approaching the port at too high time compression. I'll generally not use any setting higher than x256 when within about 100km to avoid things spawning incorrectly.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 09:34 PM   #6
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

In looking at your mod listing I really do not see a glaring issue.

It might be the GWX Merged Campaign. In general, it normally does not cause issues. You may want to remove it and see if the issue goes away.

The only alternative, is to remove all the mods and reinstall them but checking you game after each mod install to insure the issue does not return. If it does you at least know what mod is causing the issue.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-22, 02:13 AM   #7
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade K View Post
is there a mod that makes the port more stable? because some of the times when I was in or entering the harbor some ships hit each other and some caught fire or were on land moreover this happens after stormy weather will make things worse. this really spoils the feel of the game.

Thanks to all who have attempted to assist Comrade K. Please keep up the good work.

This is an old Stock SH3 bug.

It is most visible when returning to base after a patrol.
It is common to ALL big mods.

It is also visible in any harbor with 'parked' or docked vessels.

It essentially relates to the inability of the game to recognize vessels that are able to move about in the game (via 'programming' in the campaign files) as being intentionally docked or parked.

There are a few exceptions to the rule, such as the 'block ships' and buoys introduced by the GWX dev team. (Easily recognized as listing, damaged, half-sunken, and rusting hulks.... often marked by said buoys. Buoys may go up and down a bit, but do not otherwise move around in the game.)

Theoretically, we could fix the problem by cloning a bunch of vessels and essentially building them as undamaged vessels, employed in the same manner as the locations of the block ships. Doing so would also create the need for reworking the campaign files again.

Weather in Stock SH3 is also a bit problematic, as it has a tendency to get stuck in stormy and/or heavy seas.... which make parked/docked ships move about/drift more.... which in turn makes the problem appear worse.

Even in calm seas, as you have on patrol departure, the issue is present. If you remained stationary in your port of departure and engaged time compression to watch what happens, you will find examples of the drifting vessels. Once they come into contact with another object, such as a dock/pen wall, other vessels, or land.... the real craziness begins. Vessels sometimes merge with other vessels, vessels end up between buildings, working their way onto land, and etc.

We did a great deal of work in GWX to minimize the effects of the stock SH3 harbor traffic drift bug via spacing, and not adding piles of traffic in the harbors.... but the problem remains.... as the true solution was onerous.

It seems possible that you may not have played stock SH3 without mods, so I will remind for the sake of any who might need to hear it: Stock SH3 had ZERO harbor traffic in either friendly or enemy harbors.

I think that having no harbor traffic may have been the SH3 dev team's solution to the drift problem. To paraphrase what a friend from the SH3 dev team once told me: 'If we needed money we had no problem getting it from Ubisoft. If we needed more time, the only solution was to bring your sleeping bag to the office and live there like a slave.'

The choices are either having no parked/docked traffic at all in the harbors at all, or having some parked/docked traffic in place. The direction we chose, was to live with it a little and spend our energy on other developmental matters.

The ports are indeed 'stable.' I define instability as being something that causes the game to stop running. They do make ya want to pull out a little of your hair sometimes though. Late in the war though, you can blame it on the bombing raids you just missed before arriving.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 07-05-22 at 02:23 AM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 10:57 AM   #8
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Kpt. Lehmann,

Thank you for that detailed explanation. Learned something.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 07-08-22, 01:53 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Thanks to all who have attempted to assist Comrade K. Please keep up the good work.

This is an old Stock SH3 bug.

It is most visible when returning to base after a patrol.
It is common to ALL big mods.

It is also visible in any harbor with 'parked' or docked vessels.

It essentially relates to the inability of the game to recognize vessels that are able to move about in the game (via 'programming' in the campaign files) as being intentionally docked or parked.

There are a few exceptions to the rule, such as the 'block ships' and buoys introduced by the GWX dev team. (Easily recognized as listing, damaged, half-sunken, and rusting hulks.... often marked by said buoys. Buoys may go up and down a bit, but do not otherwise move around in the game.)

Theoretically, we could fix the problem by cloning a bunch of vessels and essentially building them as undamaged vessels, employed in the same manner as the locations of the block ships. Doing so would also create the need for reworking the campaign files again.

Weather in Stock SH3 is also a bit problematic, as it has a tendency to get stuck in stormy and/or heavy seas.... which make parked/docked ships move about/drift more.... which in turn makes the problem appear worse.

Even in calm seas, as you have on patrol departure, the issue is present. If you remained stationary in your port of departure and engaged time compression to watch what happens, you will find examples of the drifting vessels. Once they come into contact with another object, such as a dock/pen wall, other vessels, or land.... the real craziness begins. Vessels sometimes merge with other vessels, vessels end up between buildings, working their way onto land, and etc.

We did a great deal of work in GWX to minimize the effects of the stock SH3 harbor traffic drift bug via spacing, and not adding piles of traffic in the harbors.... but the problem remains.... as the true solution was onerous.

It seems possible that you may not have played stock SH3 without mods, so I will remind for the sake of any who might need to hear it: Stock SH3 had ZERO harbor traffic in either friendly or enemy harbors.

I think that having no harbor traffic may have been the SH3 dev team's solution to the drift problem. To paraphrase what a friend from the SH3 dev team once told me: 'If we needed money we had no problem getting it from Ubisoft. If we needed more time, the only solution was to bring your sleeping bag to the office and live there like a slave.'

The choices are either having no parked/docked traffic at all in the harbors at all, or having some parked/docked traffic in place. The direction we chose, was to live with it a little and spend our energy on other developmental matters.

The ports are indeed 'stable.' I define instability as being something that causes the game to stop running. They do make ya want to pull out a little of your hair sometimes though. Late in the war though, you can blame it on the bombing raids you just missed before arriving.
What of tagging ships, for the purpose of being 'docked', as being faux tagged as being recognized as... 'buoy's'... which as pointed out

'There are a few exceptions to the rule, such as the 'block ships' and buoys introduced by the GWX dev team. (Easily recognized as listing, damaged, half-sunken, and rusting hulks.... often marked by said buoys. Buoys may go up and down a bit, but do not otherwise move around in the game.)'

don't move, except up & down.

As I understand it, doing so, of cloning them... & instead of tagging them, as block ships but rather instead, as buoys, would call for the 'Doing so would also create the need for reworking the campaign files again.'... but, in this... would make it worth it, if docked ships, would stay docked...

would it not.?

To Me, it would be worth it.... but, that's just My own thoughts.

M. M.
Old 07-09-22, 02:43 AM   #10
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

....don't move, except up & down.

As I understand it, doing so, of cloning them... & instead of tagging them, as block ships but rather instead, as buoys, would call for the 'Doing so would also create the need for reworking the campaign files again.'... but, in this... would make it worth it, if docked ships, would stay docked...

would it not.?

To Me, it would be worth it.... but, that's just My own thoughts.

M. M.

Would it work? Yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, No. The time and effort would be 'cost prohibitive.' In my opinion, to do it effectively one would need to clone virtually every vessel in the sea folder to give the full spectrum of options to the campaign coder. (Not to mention having to resolve the various element ID conflicts that would invariably crop-up.) Doing it for a select handful of ships, limiting the campaign designer's choices, at least from my view would render a visual outcome that would quickly bore users.

That's just my opinion though. Others may differ.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote