SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-21, 05:16 AM   #1
Mav87th
Watch

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Hi Bubblehead - what an immense and beautiful work you have done.

Thanks again

One question though. Have you implemented OTC in the overhaul?

Best regards
Mav87th
Mav87th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 08:06 AM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav87th View Post
Hi Bubblehead - what an immense and beautiful work you have done.

Thanks again

One question though. Have you implemented OTC in the overhaul?

Best regards
Mav87th

Thank you, glad you are enjoying it. There is more to come.

I have not implemented OTC into the mod and while am open at some point as an optional mod, I have no plans to fully incorporate it into the mod. If someone would like to make OTC compatible with the TMO Update, that is fine with me.

However, I would encourage to try the mod without first as I incorporated my Real Scopes mod into the sim. These mods were designed to enhance manual targeting and work within the sim to overcome the shortcomings of the stadimeter and mast height issues. I adjusted some mast heights in the .cfg files of the various ships and enhanced the zoom level to a more reasonable level (scopes were underpowered previously, especially the observation scope). There is a clear difference between the way the attack scope and observation scopes look based on current light outside...observation had a larger head and was better for viewing.

I play without map contacts probably 60-70 percent of the time and my current career in Salmon class have went without SJ radar(just got it in port will have for next patrol) and when torpedoes actually work lol, i have had great accuracy sinking 1-2 ships patrol, few misses due to plotting errors, all torpedo malfunctions. I included in the download the early war scopes mod to be used on Salmon, Sargo, Porpoise, and S Class boats, as well as late war scopes for 1945 (green reticles an night scope as some US boats did get them in 45 along with ST radar, which is being worked on for future release, but is already included on the Tench Class.

In later war with boats like the Gato, you have the 3D TDC and radar ranging unit which is a HUGE advantage. If one is not aware of how to use it, definitely look the mod up and learn, it is not complicated really and it is a game changer. As said, would encourage to try as it is.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 09:37 PM   #3
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

guess i got too get the old sugar boat out and give it a run guess i can change the capt pictures and posters without messing the mod up
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 04:19 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
guess i got too get the old sugar boat out and give it a run guess i can change the capt pictures and posters without messing the mod up

Enjoy and let us know how your patrol goes. Careful though, S boats are not the tanks they used to be, were revised to be a bit more reflective of their limitations. Definitely do not dive as deep as they used to.

Are you talking the capt pictures and posters in the office while in port? If so, then yes, should be no issues if worked previously with TMO.

If are referring to the interior mods, not sure. I do know vickers interior mods are not compatible with TMO as this time, but he has said TMO versions are in the works.
Old 10-11-21, 10:48 AM   #5
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Enjoy and let us know how your patrol goes. Careful though, S boats are not the tanks they used to be, were revised to be a bit more reflective of their limitations. Definitely do not dive as deep as they used to.

Are you talking the capt pictures and posters in the office while in port? If so, then yes, should be no issues if worked previously with TMO.

If are referring to the interior mods, not sure. I do know vickers interior mods are not compatible with TMO as this time, but he has said TMO versions are in the works.
good that what i want to hear bring on the fun and torture use to a s-class mod that made them closer to real life yep in the office both work good so got betty grable on the desk nice pin ups on the walls
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 12:08 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
good that what i want to hear bring on the fun and torture use to a s-class mod that made them closer to real life yep in the office both work good so got betty grable on the desk nice pin ups on the walls

Yes, do not see why would be any problem with the office photos and pictures, nothing has changed regarding those. Enjoy
Old 10-12-21, 08:10 PM   #7
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

where can I find: TMO2_Different_smoke_and_splash_effects by Vickers03 ??

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-21, 11:28 AM   #8
Mav87th
Watch

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Thank you, glad you are enjoying it. There is more to come.

...and enhanced the zoom level to a more reasonable level (scopes were underpowered previously, especially the observation scope). There is a clear difference between the way the attack scope and observation scopes look based on current light outside...observation had a larger head and was better for viewing.
Thanks Bubblehead - and I totally look forward to more coming from you mate - awesome stuff.

For inspiration you might want to look at this https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=133207

Mav87th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 07:17 AM   #9
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208
Default AA Crew does not fire at aircraft

Just noticed that when the AA guns are manned and I order them to fire at aircraft they do nothing.

Any solutions?

Thanks.
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 07:48 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

How close are the planes? They have to be within the set AA gun range before you'll see them shoot.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 08:58 AM   #11
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208

Well the planes get close enough to shoot bullets and the AA gunners would not shoot and when I played the original TMO the AA gunners would shoot before the aircraft fired at the sub and for quite a while afterwards.

I know that the AA gunners now shoot at ships along with the deck gun. Perhaps that is why they no longer shoot at aircraft. If so, no problem, I usually dive when aircraft appears anyway. The AA gunners shooting at surface ships with the deck gun is big fun
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 10:03 AM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLOU View Post
Just noticed that when the AA guns are manned and I order them to fire at aircraft they do nothing.

Any solutions?

Thanks.
Make sure under the AA guns panel on the orders back you have "fire at will selected" , that works best. AA guns range is set at 4373 yards or 4000 meters. In testing I tried to raise this but they would not fire a contacts so put it back to that number. Now, I am currently testing a modification to the visual sensors of sub crews , they are kind of blind...can't see a ship I can see at ten miles..smoke, or an aircraft I can see etc, which is bit ridiculous. Their lack of vision does have a effect on their targeting of aircraft.

Also, from the README ....

11. Deck and AA guns

"An optional mod is included which converts AA guns (20 MM, 40 MM), to function against enemy vessels. Basically, when you target an enemy vessel, if the AA gun(s) are manned the will open fire on target along with the deck gun. Leave them unmanned and will not fire, if want to use deck gun only. Player will need to click on the ammo from the AA gun view to make sure they are loaded for them to fire. Early war not as much of a factor but in later war having AI firing 20 and 40 MM guns along with deck gun is great when dealing with smaller craft or in desperate situations, can lay down impressive bit of fire...."

So if you have that mod enabled, your AA guns will not fire at aircraft, they are considered deck guns by the sim and will only fire at aircraft. They are linked to the deck gun and if manned when order deck gun to open fire, they will fire at selected surface target. Unfortunately, right now it is either or, since UBI in its infinite wisdom, did not give us dual purpose AA guns, because you know, that would be too historically accurate Having said that, I believe someone told me FOTRS is working on making deck guns dual purpose.

I made the mod optional because while TMO is designed to stop such nonsense of constantly dueling it out with aircraft with AA guns on surface, in certain missions may need AA guns to be an option. One example would be lifeguard missions, special missions, especially if into shallow waters. Then again, may need the surface firepower. I provided the option to the Captain.
Old 10-20-21, 12:07 PM   #13
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Make sure under the AA guns panel on the orders back you have "fire at will selected" , that works best. AA guns range is set at 4373 yards or 4000 meters. In testing I tried to raise this but they would not fire a contacts so put it back to that number. Now, I am currently testing a modification to the visual sensors of sub crews , they are kind of blind...can't see a ship I can see at ten miles..smoke, or an aircraft I can see etc, which is bit ridiculous. Their lack of vision does have a effect on their targeting of aircraft.

Also, from the README ....

11. Deck and AA guns

"An optional mod is included which converts AA guns (20 MM, 40 MM), to function against enemy vessels. Basically, when you target an enemy vessel, if the AA gun(s) are manned the will open fire on target along with the deck gun. Leave them unmanned and will not fire, if want to use deck gun only. Player will need to click on the ammo from the AA gun view to make sure they are loaded for them to fire. Early war not as much of a factor but in later war having AI firing 20 and 40 MM guns along with deck gun is great when dealing with smaller craft or in desperate situations, can lay down impressive bit of fire...."

So if you have that mod enabled, your AA guns will not fire at aircraft, they are considered deck guns by the sim and will only fire at aircraft. They are linked to the deck gun and if manned when order deck gun to open fire, they will fire at selected surface target. Unfortunately, right now it is either or, since UBI in its infinite wisdom, did not give us dual purpose AA guns, because you know, that would be too historically accurate Having said that, I believe someone told me FOTRS is working on making deck guns dual purpose.

I made the mod optional because while TMO is designed to stop such nonsense of constantly dueling it out with aircraft with AA guns on surface, in certain missions may need AA guns to be an option. One example would be lifeguard missions, special missions, especially if into shallow waters. Then again, may need the surface firepower. I provided the option to the Captain.
Which is why for Me, I left the AA/DG mod out of the mix...owing to the fact that as it stands now... using the AA as a DG.. does NOT allow for the crew of the AA to fire at aircraft... though, I did note that I had a Pete (believe it was... noted a few odd things about it.

1. Even though I had AA set to fire at will... (not literally at people named will... ) guy didn't even bother to fire at the buzzing aircraft. Happened to be in a shallow water area... not by choice, well.. entirely by choice. To get to the assigned patrol coordinates... the area I was at, to get to that area, it was the quickest path... soooo.... I was not able to crash dive... much less... periscope depth, either. So, I had the crew man AA... just in case. Fat good it did... the guys just sat there & stared at the buzzing aircraft.

2. Noted that it seems the IJM, recruited Casper, as an airman... & 1 of His brothers... as there were NO crew visible in the pilot & gunners seats. The aircraft was a biplane & therefor had a 2 seat config... float plane, so am assuming it was off of a light or heavy cruiser, somewhere nearby perhaps... maybe even a Battleship...

At any rate... was able to zig & avoid any damages... well some minor ones & a few crew shaken up a tad... got to deeeper waters & dove... once under... set off on a 45 degree tangent to course, surfaced at dark & resumed course before making a run for it full speed before taking back to deep waters for another day, then resumed sailing on the surface to get to My assigned patrol area.

M. M.

Note:

All of that above, was while I was engaged in a Sargo class boat, mind you... the S boat, has no AA gun section... just DG only.
Old 10-20-21, 01:37 PM   #14
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Which is why for Me, I left the AA/DG mod out of the mix...owing to the fact that as it stands now... using the AA as a DG.. does NOT allow for the crew of the AA to fire at aircraft... though, I did note that I had a Pete (believe it was... noted a few odd things about it.

1. Even though I had AA set to fire at will... (not literally at people named will... ) guy didn't even bother to fire at the buzzing aircraft. Happened to be in a shallow water area... not by choice, well.. entirely by choice. To get to the assigned patrol coordinates... the area I was at, to get to that area, it was the quickest path... soooo.... I was not able to crash dive... much less... periscope depth, either. So, I had the crew man AA... just in case. Fat good it did... the guys just sat there & stared at the buzzing aircraft.

2. Noted that it seems the IJM, recruited Casper, as an airman... & 1 of His brothers... as there were NO crew visible in the pilot & gunners seats. The aircraft was a biplane & therefor had a 2 seat config... float plane, so am assuming it was off of a light or heavy cruiser, somewhere nearby perhaps... maybe even a Battleship...

At any rate... was able to zig & avoid any damages... well some minor ones & a few crew shaken up a tad... got to deeeper waters & dove... once under... set off on a 45 degree tangent to course, surfaced at dark & resumed course before making a run for it full speed before taking back to deep waters for another day, then resumed sailing on the surface to get to My assigned patrol area.

M. M.

Note:

All of that above, was while I was engaged in a Sargo class boat, mind you... the S boat, has no AA gun section... just DG only.

Very strange. Never had crew just ignore aircraft in TMO and I just now tested this after reading your post, against incoming aircraft and crew fired AA guns. . Did you have a lower skilled crew member manning the gun? Was the "Fire at Will" the only option selected? Did you try the "Target closing targets" or "Short range" buttons?

Environmental mods . if you have any outside of TMO, running can cause issues as well.