SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-23, 08:17 PM   #5641
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default CTD during IWO Guard Mission

hey PB,

has anyone else run into a CTD while playing Guard IwoJima Islands 04?

Driving a Sargo out of Saipan, December 24, 1944.

the CTD happens during an aircraft attack. we are submerged and then bang, CTD.
the second time it happened, i was watching the external camera (F12) and there were several planes buzzing above then, BAM, CTD.

and...what's with the night attacks?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
300 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
310 Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
410_Strategic_Map_Symbols
600 - 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
999 Flotillas Fix for Argo&Nautilus

p.s. cleared out the save folders, rebooted, trying one more time.

p.p.s. that did not fix the problem. two of four times that it CTD i was using the external camera and, the other two times, i was at the Nav Map. can't draw any conclusions from that. however, all four times, we were under attack from aircraft dropping V1 bombs on us. sometimes, they would explode and sometimes the game CTD.

p.p.p.s. running the mission one more time.....no external camera while under a/c attack.
things are proceeding swimmingly.
ah, i made one change to your mission profile. in the previous runs (the CTD's) we never saw one survivor and we patrolled for 4 days, at one point, before CTD. that seemed odd. so, i looked at the Mission.MIS and noticed that the Survivors were not scheduled to spawn until 9/15/1945. and this is December 1944. so, i changed all 21 Survivors spawn date to 9/15/1944. i cannot say if they all spawned but there were more than 5 that spawned which was enough for us to complete that objective.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 08-27-23 at 10:53 AM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-23, 08:22 PM   #5642
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Those are the Betty bombers with the Ohka kamikazi Divine Wind warriors... I have not had any CTD with those previously, but then again, I have not had a mission that had more than 2 previously... I'll look to see how much they "steal" of clock cycles... I don't understand (again) why you are not getting survivors to spawn... but a "symptom" might be the fact that they are set to enter AFTER the war... I'll try running that mission again here. They have to be set to enter AFTER the mission start for the "spawn" trigger to work, but they probably can't be after the end of the war, which is actually in August... I'll try to get to looking at that tomorrow afternoon...

PS: The night attacks did happen with the Betty laden Okha, just not as often. The problem with them as an RGG is the timing... once they spawn, they go until they die... I might move the group's spawn location in some, and that way you get the earlier, and they will quit spawning sooner... AND - apparently I have to reduce the amount of them that spawn?? lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-23, 09:39 PM   #5643
propbeanie

I thought this was going to be really cool KM... I'm on my way in to the Lifeguard Station, radars on, APR on... Radar signals detected, then radar contact, pull the plug when they are 10nm out (good thing too)...

What shouldn't be happening though, is since they did not see me, they should not be dropping:

all well and good... I noticed the one plane on radar plot out in front, which ended up being the Betty, two more close to each other coming just a pinch behind, and a 4th trailing a bit... So in my haste to do screen grabs, and my having been submerged in enough time to get to 180 by the time they show, I did not at all expect the next two to impact the water, in almost the exact same spot...

then I heard the 4th plane... could not see it... heard it diving, so it's going to impact also... CTD... so there is our problem child. My guess is that the Judy kamikaze is messed-up again... That's the one that I cloned off of CaptainScurvy's Zero Kamikaze... took a while to "tame" it before, but s7rikeback got it working before... but it sure ain't now... I sure hate to have to use the <Delete> key on it in the mod... mostly because I have no idea where all it was put in the game...

Old 08-29-23, 09:49 AM   #5644
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I thought this was going to be really cool KM... I'm on my way in to the Lifeguard Station, radars on, APR on... Radar signals detected, then radar contact, pull the plug when they are 10nm out (good thing too)...

What shouldn't be happening though, is since they did not see me, they should not be dropping:

all well and good... I noticed the one plane on radar plot out in front, which ended up being the Betty, two more close to each other coming just a pinch behind, and a 4th trailing a bit... So in my haste to do screen grabs, and my having been submerged in enough time to get to 180 by the time they show, I did not at all expect the next two to impact the water, in almost the exact same spot...

then I heard the 4th plane... could not see it... heard it diving, so it's going to impact also... CTD... so there is our problem child. My guess is that the Judy kamikaze is messed-up again... That's the one that I cloned off of CaptainScurvy's Zero Kamikaze... took a while to "tame" it before, but s7rikeback got it working before... but it sure ain't now... I sure hate to have to use the <Delete> key on it in the mod... mostly because I have no idea where all it was put in the game...
so, you had the exterior view displayed AND the event camera activated?

try it again and this time, disable the event camera and do NOT activate the exterior view. most likely you will not CTD.

on the other hand, the CTD event, whatever it is, may not have anything to do with either camera...

glad i was able to provide a bit more data to the problem identification.

LAA enabled
Old 08-29-23, 11:52 AM   #5645
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

D4Y4Kamikaze is found 50 times in 25 mis files.

Took me longer to DL then extract the Mod then to do the search.
Old 08-29-23, 01:32 PM   #5646
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Personally Beanie I find that this camera is useless... it might be good to simply delete it..!! this would avoid problems .. in addition it has a big impact on memory when it is triggered ...
I never use it for the reasons that I have just described to you... even in SH3 already had CTDs because of that...
When do you think Boss?? uais:
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-23, 11:58 AM   #5647
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Personally Beanie I find that this camera is useless... it might be good to simply delete it..!! this would avoid problems .. in addition it has a big impact on memory when it is triggered ...
I never use it for the reasons that I have just described to you... even in SH3 already had CTDs because of that...
When do you think Boss?? uais:
Please don't! I use it multiple times during every patrol and have never encountered a CTD while using it. If it has an effect on memory I've never encountered it. Perhaps you need an upgrade?

I prefer the eye candy over most of the "action". Maybe that's just me, but I'd probably leave SH4 FOTRSU if you all took the cameras away.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-23, 02:22 PM   #5648
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Please don't! I use it multiple times during every patrol and have never encountered a CTD while using it. If it has an effect on memory I've never encountered it. Perhaps you need an upgrade?

I prefer the eye candy over most of the "action". Maybe that's just me, but I'd probably leave SH4 FOTRSU if you all took the cameras away.
I don't need any upgrades... my machine is perfect, always set to "small onions"... let's be logical, the triggering of this camera requires a video scene... if there is a video scene... resources consume these are inevitable computer laws...there is an exterior camera to follow the action, which is enough..!!
I would add the tracking of this camera is sometimes bad... it depends on the angles... at the time of the action...
Now it's not me who decides, it's the FOTRS team, "Boss" Beanie and his team...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 08-30-23 at 02:36 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-23, 05:37 PM   #5649
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

I don´t use the event camera because realism (Also I don´t use in my actual campaign the external camera), but, when used, I don´t have problems (CTDs, etc...). Maybe an addon mod for the event camera could be more acceptable. Only my two cents.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-23, 01:10 AM   #5650
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
so, you had the exterior view displayed AND the event camera activated?

try it again and this time, disable the event camera and do NOT activate the exterior view. most likely you will not CTD.

on the other hand, the CTD event, whatever it is, may not have anything to do with either camera...

glad i was able to provide a bit more data to the problem identification.

Well, I found the survivors KM... Just did a test mission with the same set-up and no other airplanes, but I had the survivors report every 90 minutes at 100%. I also put in 3 rescue rafts. The rafts were very close to where they reported as being. Not so with the survivors. All of the survivors drifted...The survivors that it took me longest to get to, drifted the furthest... 1x 7.5nm drift, 1x 8.5nm drift, 1x 10nm drift, and 2x 22nm drift... they went generally south, but not straight-lined... the mission did have 5knot wind out of 000 heading, but that is in the mis file NOT IN THE GAME... do they drift with the "wind"?? The 2 that drifted 22nm were outside the rescue area also, and would not have counted for the objective, so this is unacceptable. The survivors have always drifted, but man, that is ~bad~... btw, the mission started at 0630, and I picked-up the 3 rafts straight away, but it took several hours to find the first survivor, and that was an accident. I used the first to judge where to look for the others, and did find 3 more eventually and completed the objective. I then went and sank a ship, which took a while. When I had exited the area south, that's when I found the last two survivors, 22nm from their reported area... the time at the conclusion was 1745 - less than 12 hours of time, a "Survivor" set to "0 knots" and "DockedShip=true" drifts ~that~ far???...

As to the CTD, it is the Judy kamikaze, but I don't know why yet... I haven't even begun to attempt to dig into that...

As for the Event Camera, it stays. It is part of the game. It is recommended that you use it if you expect to be around warships or torpedo planes, so that you see the "launch" - but not all trigger it, which depends upon available resources for the game's engine. You won't know who did the launch when the camera turns on, just that someone put a torpedo in the water. Unfortunately, the event camera is a bit odd, but it has set routines, and adjusting that for one situation probably would mess with others. Since it ain't broke, I'll not "fix" it... If you don't want to use it, no problem, just disable it in the Options. Since the game does not have an "Incoming torpedo, sir! Bearing xxx, medium distance and closing!!!" warning, we made the external camera "free", so no renown cost to use it. If you're fast and know where it came from, you can track it on sonar. I have also never had any CTDs associated with the camera.

Old 08-31-23, 08:10 AM   #5651
propbeanie

So, I got to thinking about this "survivor" thang... The reason for "spawning" them into the game is because they "drift" if they are there all of the time. Yet, they STILL drift when you spawn them in... So same difference. They don't actually generate anyway, until you get within the spawn range - whatever that is, but somewhere between 24 and 32nm.. If we go back to the "old way" of doing it, just having the "survivors" there all of the time, it simplifies the "Trigger" and "Events" of the mis file, and if I use 3 or 4 waypoints instead, and have them "Loop" continually, maybe they'll stay put?? Off to do another test...

Edit 1030: Found the issue with Judy, and as expected, bad links between some of the binary files...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-31-23 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-31-23, 11:40 AM   #5652
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:

Edit 1030: Found the issue with Judy, and as expected, bad links between some of the binary files...
Those pesky ID numbers again?
Old 08-31-23, 02:43 PM   #5653
propbeanie

Oh my, Jeff... more like "who needs no shtinking ID numbers? We dun need no shtinking ID numbers!!! They eat memory!"... sigh - Part of the sim was linked, part was not. Part of the zon was linked, part was not. Part of the dsd was linked, part was not... sigh. It looks like someone fell asleep on their keyboard again... - The give away was when one crashed a ship and it did not do any damage...

In the meantime KM, I have tried four different ways to do the Survivors in the game... "no change Bob"...

Here is my "guess" as to what happens in my current test mission:

The game "reports" all of the contacts as expected, and where they were "planted" in the ME. So that's what those first marks are from - when they first report. Notice that all of the "Rafts" (designated with "R" to their right) are very close to where they spawn by the time I drive 60nm to go get them. However, the "Survivors" do not. The wind is still set to 000 at 5k in this test, but notice that they "drift" SSW? I am thinking that the first survivor drifts all of the way down, since it spawns while I am the furthest out, and could not find it (or the other survivors) anywhere near their reported positions. I would get "updates" of where they were every 30 seconds, and they appear to be capable of doing roughly 10-12 knots iin spite of being set to zero and docked. In comprehensible... The scenario starts at 0630, and I sighted the last survivor by 0930, and had them onboard by 0945, so a bit over 3 hours, so this time, they didn't get to travel as far, but still, roughly 16nm for the furthest south, and almost 10 each for the other 3... I'm going to try the Stock with this mission, and see what happens... I'll have to remove the rafts though...

Old 08-31-23, 03:39 PM   #5654
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well, I found the survivors KM... Just did a test mission with the same set-up and no other airplanes, but I had the survivors report every 90 minutes at 100%. I also put in 3 rescue rafts. The rafts were very close to where they reported as being. Not so with the survivors. All of the survivors drifted...The survivors that it took me longest to get to, drifted the furthest... 1x 7.5nm drift, 1x 8.5nm drift, 1x 10nm drift, and 2x 22nm drift... they went generally south, but not straight-lined... the mission did have 5knot wind out of 000 heading, but that is in the mis file NOT IN THE GAME... do they drift with the "wind"?? The 2 that drifted 22nm were outside the rescue area also, and would not have counted for the objective, so this is unacceptable. The survivors have always drifted, but man, that is ~bad~... btw, the mission started at 0630, and I picked-up the 3 rafts straight away, but it took several hours to find the first survivor, and that was an accident. I used the first to judge where to look for the others, and did find 3 more eventually and completed the objective. I then went and sank a ship, which took a while. When I had exited the area south, that's when I found the last two survivors, 22nm from their reported area... the time at the conclusion was 1745 - less than 12 hours of time, a "Survivor" set to "0 knots" and "DockedShip=true" drifts ~that~ far???...
YES!!!! the bloody drift of the Survivors.

so, after the first experience, which ended with CTD, i approached each Survivor from the direction that they were moving. in my instance, they were drifting SW, so i approached them from the SW, and made real sure that i got them on the first pass.

Quote:
As for the Event Camera, it stays. It is part of the game. It is recommended that you use it if you expect to be around warships or torpedo planes, so that you see the "launch" - but not all trigger it, which depends upon available resources for the game's engine. You won't know who did the launch when the camera turns on, just that someone put a torpedo in the water. Unfortunately, the event camera is a bit odd, but it has set routines, and adjusting that for one situation probably would mess with others. Since it ain't broke, I'll not "fix" it... If you don't want to use it, no problem, just disable it in the Options. Since the game does not have an "Incoming torpedo, sir! Bearing xxx, medium distance and closing!!!" warning, we made the external camera "free", so no renown cost to use it. If you're fast and know where it came from, you can track it on sonar. I have also never had any CTDs associated with the camera.
i agree with everything you posted with the possible exception of the last line. i HAVE had CTDs when the event camera fired.
not exclusively with FOTRSU but also with TMO ala BH and even my surrogate child, Dark Water.
i run without it now.
yes, there is a risk of incurring a fatal torpedo hit so when i am detected by DD/DE who are in range and at an aspect where the can fire torpedoes, i have to change speed, course, and depth. fortunately for me, they the small boys detect me they are headed straight for me, which precludes a torpedo launch...but not a DC launch or...ramming. (RAMMING....SPEED) (sorry, it is a moral imperative.)

LAA enabled
Old 08-31-23, 03:46 PM   #5655
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Oh my, Jeff... more like "who needs no shtinking ID numbers? We dun need no shtinking ID numbers!!! They eat memory!"... sigh - Part of the sim was linked, part was not. Part of the zon was linked, part was not. Part of the dsd was linked, part was not... sigh. It looks like someone fell asleep on their keyboard again... - The give away was when one crashed a ship and it did not do any damage...

In the meantime KM, I have tried four different ways to do the Survivors in the game... "no change Bob"...

Here is my "guess" as to what happens in my current test mission:

The game "reports" all of the contacts as expected, and where they were "planted" in the ME. So that's what those first marks are from - when they first report. Notice that all of the "Rafts" (designated with "R" to their right) are very close to where they spawn by the time I drive 60nm to go get them. However, the "Survivors" do not. The wind is still set to 000 at 5k in this test, but notice that they "drift" SSW? I am thinking that the first survivor drifts all of the way down, since it spawns while I am the furthest out, and could not find it (or the other survivors) anywhere near their reported positions. I would get "updates" of where they were every 30 seconds, and they appear to be capable of doing roughly 10-12 knots iin spite of being set to zero and docked. In comprehensible... The scenario starts at 0630, and I sighted the last survivor by 0930, and had them onboard by 0945, so a bit over 3 hours, so this time, they didn't get to travel as far, but still, roughly 16nm for the furthest south, and almost 10 each for the other 3... I'm going to try the Stock with this mission, and see what happens... I'll have to remove the rafts though...

in the FOTRSU mission that is installed here, the survivors are NOT docked, so the drift is somewhat understandable.
and... if the weather conditions are bad enough, i guess they could drift 10-12 miles downwind from their spawn location.

[Unit 1]
Name=GIJI04_US Survivor#1
Class=Survivor
Type=106
Origin=American

Side=0
Commander=0
CargoExt=1
CargoInt=0
CfgDate=19441101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false

DockedShip=false