SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-22, 10:23 AM   #1
Lozza79
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with The Grey Wolves mods, please.

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the GWX3 Gold add on mod from The Grey Wolves to my Steam version of SH3, but I'm running into issues. It keeps telling me it detects modifications and I need a clean install even though I've never added any mods at all, I've literally just done a few tutorials in game and that's it.

Also it says I need patch (1.4b) but the link just takes me to the Ubisoft website and I cant see the patch anywhere there, and other links I've found online just do the same thing.

Generally I try to figure these things out on my own steam but I'm at a dead end here. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Lozza79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 10:46 AM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Lozza79 you have a PM Sir with a SH3 Download Link if your steam is installed in Program Files thats whats causing that SH3 Modification message due to the windows security in Program Files x86 use the SH3 download then run the SH3 stock install play a single mission like Happy Time SH3 makes a SH3 Folder in your documents for all your carrer saves then mod it with GWX or any of
the other super mods.

you will also need the 4gig patch so SH3 can use 4gig memory instead of 2gig so GWX will no longer crash due to out of memory when lots of ships are burning sinking ect.

4gig patch download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

Last edited by blackswan40; 01-09-22 at 01:04 PM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 04:53 AM   #3
Lozza79
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Lozza79 you have a PM Sir with a SH3 Download Link if your steam is installed in Program Files thats whats causing that SH3 Modification message due to the windows security in Program Files x86 use the SH3 download then run the SH3 stock install play a single mission like Happy Time SH3 makes a SH3 Folder in your documents for all your carrer saves then mod it with GWX or any of
the other super mods.

you will also need the 4gig patch so SH3 can use 4gig memory instead of 2gig so GWX will no longer crash due to out of memory when lots of ships are burning sinking ect.

4gig patch download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

Thanks for your response. I have messaged you twice, not sure if you got them.
Lozza79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 03:07 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

GWX 3 will install fine to a Steam Install as others have reported MANY times!
You ABSOLUTELY NEED TO POINT IT TO THE PROPER FOLDER!
It will not search for your install.
Old 01-11-22, 09:07 AM   #5
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28

I can verify that the GWX Gold supermod installs just fine using the Steam version of SH3, since I did this just last week. My build had the following filepath: X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3.

But IIRC if you ask Steam to verify your installation of SH3 after you install a mod, it will naturally interpret this as a defect and try to re-install the vanilla version. So don't do that.

My big complaint with the Steam version so far has been that you need to run Steam first in order to invoke SH3. And when Steam starts SH3, it starts it in vanilla 1024x768 resolution even if you have installed a 1920x1080 resolution mod.

So to get around this I would start Steam by itself. Then I would invoke SH3 separately via the GWX shortcut and then I could play in 1920x1080 resolution ! (Needed to also run the 4GB patch as well)

Later I found a way to cut out the first step. Found out that it was even possible to run this build of SH3 in a completely different folder location.
Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 12:19 PM   #6
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28

Hey, it just occurred to me that you go online every time you start Steam and try to play SH3. Is that correct ?

I start Steam in offline mode as much as I can.

In offline mode Steam has no opportunity to check the integrity of your SH3 folder.
Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 12:19 PM   #7
klzlueylx
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy-rai View Post
Hey, it just occurred to me that you go online every time you start Steam and try to play SH3. Is that correct ?

I start Steam in offline mode as much as I can.

In offline mode Steam has no opportunity to check the integrity of your SH3 folder.
hi lozza
i'd advise you download the 'steamfix' the forum offers, though it's main purpose isnt disable steam but it somehow does 'crack' the game in some way, boot via steam is no longer needed.

though im not sure if GWX replace the original sh3.exe, which left the question that if it's possible to fix it after GWX is installed.

one more thing, you mentioned that when installing GWX, it says your exe isnt the correct version? im sure the steamfix will solve it. im using steam version as well, bumped into same popup, and steamfix does fixed it.
klzlueylx is offline   Reply With Quote