SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-10, 07:48 PM   #16
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Yet another version, the one I have is the Superbit made directors cut. Sadly it doesn't have any extra featuers, but for a regular dvd (not HD) the picture quality is subperb and great audio tracks. I've seen some of the new blue ray ones, and while they're picture quality is better they still manage to cut out some scenes here and there enough to detract me from wanting to buy it - one version for example when Jurgen steps onto the boat for the first time and addresses the crew he just says something to the effect of, "how are you men" and they all reply. Then it cuts to the chief telling Werner, "good speach eh".
Sailor Steve can probably confirm this but IIRC the only version that has that bit where the LI says "good speech" is the original theatrical release.

I've got the "regular" Director's Cut, the Superbit Director's Cut, and the Uncut versions and I've never seen it in any of them so I'm pretty sure that when they recut the film for those re-releases the LI's comment on der Alte's little speech got left out.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 08:11 PM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

That's my impression. I have the original release on VHS, and the Director's Cut and 'Uncut' versions, and the "Here it comes - the speech" and "Good speech, eh?" only appear on the short theatrical release.

I don't have the superbit or blu-ray versions, so I can't comment on them.

As for dubbing, I don't think every single actor spoke English, so only a handful did their own dubbing. In the 'Uncut' version the dubbing changes the dialog so much that I can no longer watch it that way, though I only found that out by forcing myself to watch the dubbed version with the subtitles on. Once.
Old 10-16-10, 08:22 PM   #18
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

It's not on the Superbit either.

There has been no BluRay release of Das Boot for North America AFAIK - Amazon.com has no listing for it, not even one to indicate that it's in the works but not yet available.

Someone posted a link to one here a while back for one though - I just found it again on Amazon.de, due to be released next Tuesday. German language only, judging by the info provided... to tell you the truth if I could buy it I would just to have the subtitles in German which would be way cool.

But then I'd have to buy a Blu-Ray player, lol. And do Blu-Ray discs come in different regional formats like DVDs? Cuz then there'd be that to consider as well.

Hmm... wonder if I could find a DVD version with German subtitles. I already have a multi-region DVD player.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 12:17 AM   #19
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

The version with the abbreviated great speach I don't have anymore, not like I'd recommend but more as one to avoid. There were a few floor cuttings on it I hadn't seen but nothing enough to make any significant enhancements or give better understandings of any major points/portions of the movie.

As I mentioned liking the dub I knew wouldn't be something that would go over well, I can't speak any German to save my life so it doesn't bother me in the same way. I can speak Japanese and when I feel lazy I'll watch it with the subtitles on, in some cases where the job was done so fast or poorly I'll just turn em off as they're so innacurate they become a major nuisance.

Far as foreign language to English dubs go, I still say this was one of the best done jobs out there. Pretty much every time I go out on Patrol I've got a lineup of movies that I'll put on my TV to watch while I wait ingame (currently I don't have any sort of cable tv service, long story...) and watch Das Boot at least once each patrol, sometimes more if I don't finish in a single day/sitting.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 05:33 AM   #20
ubootmate
Watch

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

As for dubbing, I don't think every single actor spoke English, so only a handful did their own dubbing.

Nope, that is incorrect, Sailor Steve.

There was actually only one of the characters (who had lines to say) who wasnt able to speak English at all,
so his parts were dubbed by someone else but him. The entire rest was actually able to do their own dubbing.

Since I can speak both languages I must say, that the English dubs are partly terrible to endure since some of their pronounciations are...well....ugly.

Also, since the basic foundation (book, script, movie) is in german, it's quite obvious that some special content like jokes or contemporary german terms
(which aren't even used in todays modern german language anymore) just can't be perfectly translated into the English (or even American) language.
Its like watching " 'Allo 'Allo! " -or even worse - any chosen "Monty Python" flick with german dubbing/translation.

Every book, movie, article, show whose origin is either German or English I watch/read/consume in it`s origin version
and avoid any translation/subs/dubs if possible. Of course, russian, french, spanish
or any other language I don't speak well enough to watch a movie in, I will consume with a proper translation
but still being aware that there's always some basic stuff lost in this translation...

Greetings
U-mate
ubootmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 03:53 AM   #21
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Wow, an 11 year thread necromancer!
Old 12-15-21, 12:57 PM   #22
flag4
Watch Officer