SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-11, 01:54 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default email program

I am used to Outlook Express under XP. I now got Live Windows Mail/Win7. I hate it. I totally and completely hate it, from the design of of how to manage several different accounts, to those damn ribbon menus. It does everything I need more complicated. I do not even have "Briefpapier" function in it. And I always get asked to register for what-the-heck-Windows-Live. Have I won a freaking club membership? Did I ask for that? I hate this new email handler.

What alternatives are out there? I prefer something as close to the design of Outlook Express as possible. It should be able to import account settings and old mails. It should have access to handwriting fonts and "Briefpapier" (letter paper?) functionality. It should be safe, ergonomic, and easy to overlook several different accounts. Like Outlook Express.

I saw Thunderbird, and maybe could live with it, but when I read about it, they always mention security concerns, I also miss Briefpapier in it.

Any other programs available?

What devil has ridden MS to switch to these ribbon menues in general...? Hnadling them since one week on my comouter, since several weeks on somebody else's. I H A T E them. Windows 7 is nice. These ribbon menues are not. To me, they do everything wrong that can be done wrong. What was wriong with the old menue structure? It has proven its worth. Everybody knows it. Knows how to thandle it, understood its design even in completely new software. And now? Chess, Mail, Word - you are searching, searching, searching, searching something.

Old 03-10-11, 02:34 PM   #2
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

pff, who needs an email program when you have a telnet client?

Gosh, I am using Windows 7 since more than a year - never noticed that there is no more OE included!

I like Thunderbird. It has tons of add-ons, reliable, fast & stable. I don't know what you've read about security issues, but its standard options are a lot more secure than the ones of OE - at least at the time I used OE for the last time.
Thunderbird allows to store you mail encrypted if you like, the passwords are also stored ancrypted on your hd. It's also easy to install and use PGP.
A risk is always the way you send/receive your mails, but TB supports all the security standards, like SSL, you should always check this if you don't want your mails sent/received in plain text.

Briefpapier would be a background image - this is so 90s , I am sure thunderbird has an addon for this, but it also supports background images. I think you have to look for some templates by yourself if you don't find an addon though.

What I can highly recommend is lightning in addition to thunderbird, a small but nice calendar function.

Finally the biggest advantage is this: when you answer to a mail, Thunderbird puts the reply UNDER the original mail - where it belongs, always easy to identify Outlook users through this....
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 02:54 PM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I just use googles gmail - create a gmail account then go to Settings - Accounts and Imports and add your other email accounts to it. ( Import from Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, or other webmail or POP3 accounts) Plus having a gmail acc you can access it anywhere.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 04:53 PM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
I just use googles gmail - create a gmail account then go to Settings - Accounts and Imports and add your other email accounts to it. ( Import from Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, or other webmail or POP3 accounts) Plus having a gmail acc you can access it anywhere.
PLus, you can set you gmail account to run POP3 so you can use a client to fetch the emails.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 04:58 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Don't want no online email writing. Anyhow, thanks.