SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-21, 01:49 PM   #16
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Many people who played AOD for DOS found it superior to CAOD, which was optimized for Windows 3.0. When I bought my first 386-SX45 Windows machine I also got CAOD but found it buggy and with a number of negative issues not found in the earlier game. Sadly I cannot recall specifics but they were significant enough at the time. The differences were subtle but certainly enough for me to ditch that version of the game completely when it was still new and keep the older, DOS version.

AOD had been left unplayed for years as technology advanced until I discovered DOSBox and now it is still my go-to subsim for the Atlantic although I have no less than five SH3 supermods installed.

The AOD that I use today is my original, installed from 3 1/2" floppies onto that 386 computer and copied onto a CD using that machine and religiously transferred onto every subsequent computer that I have owned. Also still have the AOD game box, manuals, quick-reference guide and map but the disks are gone.

At 27-years of age, the computing equivalent of several epochs, I'm inclined to cut the game some slack in its modelling and features, so while I read your necro-posts, cannot say that I tend to find them particularly useful.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 07:21 PM   #17
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Many people who played AOD for DOS found it superior to CAOD, which was optimized for Windows 3.0. When I bought my first 386-SX45 Windows machine I also got CAOD but found it buggy and with a number of negative issues not found in the earlier game. Sadly I cannot recall specifics but they were significant enough at the time. The differences were subtle but certainly enough for me to ditch that version of the game completely when it was still new and keep the older, DOS version.

AOD had been left unplayed for years as technology advanced until I discovered DOSBox and now it is still my go-to subsim for the Atlantic although I have no less than five SH3 supermods installed.

The AOD that I use today is my original, installed from 3 1/2" floppies onto that 386 computer and copied onto a CD using that machine and religiously transferred onto every subsequent computer that I have owned. Also still have the AOD game box, manuals, quick-reference guide and map but the disks are gone.

At 27-years of age, the computing equivalent of several epochs, I'm inclined to cut the game some slack in its modelling and features, so while I read your necro-posts, cannot say that I tend to find them particularly useful.

-C

Is this post directed at me or Silent Otto ?
Old 12-10-21, 09:30 PM   #18
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Beats me.

I don't own, nor never played AOD. Think I mentioned that in another post. Can't knock something you don't know about and I haven't.

I do own and play CAOD, which I can talk about, with some knowledge and as I've read the game play is quite similar, can only make comparisons for discussions purposes. Which one is better than the other, I don't know or care about truthfully.
Old 12-11-21, 12:48 PM   #19
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

It was actually directed at Silent Otto, but I failed to include a relevant quote so it reads a bit ambiguously. My bad.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 10:28 PM   #20
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well Randomizer, in that case, I still don't know what your issues are with me or my postings. As I've stated again, I don't own, nor have I ever played AOD.

I have CAOD, which I have played since it came out in 1995 and enjoy it despite all the issues. Still, I wish to discuss it here and if that offends you, just don't read my posts and save all the sarcasm for a PM so we keep the forum threads clean.

How about that mate!?

Having a bad rain day up in the PNW??