SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-07, 07:55 PM   #271
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Come to think of it, I've never done the Naval Academy, at all.

This is because I started playing SH3 with a friend who was into the whole manual targeting thing, I just watched and played the good 1WO, keeping up conversation during dull patrols, being far better at ship recognition and such, doing the prelimary maneuvering while he did the calculations...

In a way that's how real Uboat captains learned, after having proven themselves capable of handling the theory, then going along as a trainee on a Uboat with an experienced commander.

Good fun
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 06:27 AM   #272
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37
Default Possible Fix for Sky Artifacts in GWX2 16KM Mod

Anyone who is having a graphics problem with artifacts in the sky of the GWX2 16KM Mod and is willing to try a test, I have a 16km mod that uses different envcolors and skycolors files.

Use JSGME to enable it after the GWX 16KM mod and let us know if it fixes your problem. I used it to fix a graphic problem I was having with my Nvidea 7800GS. Be aware that this mod will also lighten up your night sky.

It's about a 1000KB zip file and JSGME ready.

http://files.filefront.com/Marhks+Oc.../fileinfo.html

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 08:51 AM   #273
Kraut
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is there any way to get higher fps in GWX harbors?
Old 12-21-07, 09:06 AM   #274
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut
Yes. You can enable the Reduced Harbour Traffic mod, which you'll find in JSGME.
Old 12-21-07, 01:25 PM   #275
Bridger
Mate

Downloads: 67
Default SH3 commander Question.

Im using SH3 commander for the 1st time, ive just returned from my 1st GWX 2.0 patrol(Great mod), my 1st WO has done 7 patrols, has a iron cross and he has just been promoted oberleutnant, SH3 is saying i should replace him as he should be given the chance to command his own boat, should i ?, and does anyone else replace crew after a certain number of patrols?

Kptlt Peter von bauer, commanding U-36
Bridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 06:57 PM   #276
Kraut
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut
Yes. You can enable the Reduced Harbour Traffic mod, which you'll find in JSGME.
Thanks, seems to have worked.

Kiel is still a bit of a frame rate killer. I have a 7900GS.

Last edited by Kraut; 12-23-07 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 07:00 PM   #277
astroglobe
Watch

Downloads: 131

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie on SH III and I'm trying to figure out the nuances of the game.

I've read some of the noob Q&As here, but I'm still having trouble surviving engagements. I seem to be instantly caught by destroyer sonar every time I'm near a convoy and hastily sent to the bottom despite desperate moves with right and left rudder, changing depths and running silent. I'm using GWX 2.0 and I'm wondering if that's just the way it's designed - realistic but maybe too realistic?

Second, I'm a touch confused navigating to sound contacts. When the S.O. calls out a bearing do you simply set the boat's compass on that bearing to the target? Or is the bearing in relation to my attack periscope compass and I sent the boat in that direction -- or is it the rotating compass rose?

And how does all that square with the sound contact lines on the Torp. Computer map? I notice there are usually several lines on that map, again do you simply heard in their general direction?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated, cheers
astroglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 08:06 PM   #278
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Astroglobe, where to start...umm..

Right, it's very late as I type this so let me give you a few quick tips.

Read this thread, all fo it, and many links found in this thread

First evading DDs

Do's:
To ensure silence, press Z and set speed to 2 knots or less, 1 in a type IIa, you can also see this in the F2 screen on the RPm gauges, should be less than 100
Go deep! see the red part of your depth-gauge, that's deep enough, most of the time

DONT's
I'm sure you've found those, the basic trick is to know when it's safe to make some noise

hydrophone hunting, your S.O will tell you wether the contact is closing and how fast it's going. what I do is mark the initial contact point, then wait a minute or 2 and mark the next point, then draw a line along those marks, you now have a basic course for your target as well as approximate speed.

now set a course for the point along that line that is closest to your boat, this is the ideal intercept point.

also, since it's late here and I should be in bed....I strongly urge you to read the proverbial manual, not just the GWX but any you can lay your hands on

good hunting!
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 12:03 PM   #279
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroglobe
Second, I'm a touch confused navigating to sound contacts. When the S.O. calls out a bearing do you simply set the boat's compass on that bearing to the target? Or is the bearing in relation to my attack periscope compass and I sent the boat in that direction -- or is it the rotating compass rose?
All contact directions given by your crew (or seen on scope, sonar, radar) are bearings that are relative to your bow (0 degrees) and thus your course. Between 0 and 180 are on the starboard/right side, all between 180 and 360/0 on the port/left side. To plot them on the map relative to north you first need to add your course to the number. Or to change course to them right away you could turn the scope in the direction of that number and press 'heading to view' button =
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 03:10 PM   #280
astroglobe
Watch

Downloads: 131
Default Baffled Newbie

Folks thanks for the kind replies

One of the fascinating things about SHIII is its technical depth as a simulation - I'm still trying to figure out ship interception based on the wiki instructions for newbies but I'm having trouble following the step-by-step guide (geometry was never my strong suit ).

If anyone has a quicker and dirtier method of ship interception let me know, I was thinking about trying interceptions based knots per hour, distance travelled of the contact compared to my boat's course and distance and making a rougher guestimate of where they might intersect....rather than the more elaborate protractor angles......

cheers and happy holidays....
astroglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-07, 11:41 AM   #281
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroglobe
If anyone has a quicker and dirtier method of ship interception let me know, I was thinking about trying interceptions based knots per hour, distance travelled of the contact compared to my boat's course and distance and making a rougher guestimate of where they might intersect....rather than the more elaborate protractor angles......
The only way I can think of is if you are better at punching buttons on a scientific calculator, than doing the geometry thing. As with the graphical method you need to know his speed and general course. And do it based on his current position if it is now later than when the contact appeared on the map. So you need to advance the position along it's course based on speed and time since. Then calculate or measure(protractor) the angle between his course and the direction to your Uboot (so target is at the corner), this is known as AOB.

Your lead/intercept angle = arc_sine ( (Sine_AOB * Targetspeed)/Yourspeed )

So you punch in, in this order:

AOB, sine_button, multiply, Target_speed, divide, Your_speed, arc_sine_button

To set course easily: Draw another protractor (last one, honest!), first leg from target position to you (being at the corner), and the other leg to the resulting angle ahead of the target's position. Drag it to also cross the target's course, so you know you won't dig into an island or something along the way. Or takes an absurd long time to reach it. If ok, drag a waypoint over this leg to set course and go.

If the calculator ends up giving an error result, then you will never be able to catch the target at your intended speed. It is going to fast. Go faster if you can, or forget about him. (ofcourse, check you didn't make an error while calculating if you are not sure)

Arc_sine is sometimes called inv_sine or sine^-1 depending on calculator brand, consult the manual; you need to go back from a fraction between -1 and 1 to an angle between -90 and 90 degrees.

Last edited by Pisces; 12-25-07 at 12:01 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 08:52 PM   #282
PapaG39
Frogman

Downloads: 4
Default Milch cow question

I'm running the GWX 1.3 & looking into refueling at a nearby milk cow.

I know you can:
sail close to the milk cow and hit esc
end mission
dock at...

However, I am wondering if it is possible to just go in and refuel & start out again while keeping your present patrol number and information intact?

I know from doing it once before that your present mission will end and you will start a new patrol number...
PapaG39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 07:26 PM   #283
StevenLohr
Watch

Downloads: 215
Default Possible new host for Silent Hunter III Community Manual

I see the Silent Hunter III Community Manual is going to stop being hosted by the end of February. I may be able to arrange hosting through another source, but I need to have the current webmaster contact me. Please email me privately at
SteveLohr@aol.com
StevenLohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 11:51 PM   #284
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLohr
I see the Silent Hunter III Community Manual is going to stop being hosted by the end of February. I may be able to arrange hosting through another source, but I need to have the current webmaster contact me. Please email me privately at
SteveLohr@aol.com
I am also willing to arrange hosting. I have my own datacenter and would have no problem providing free hosting for such an important resource.

Rip
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 08:56 PM   #285
Bonfleck
Torpedoman

Default Ahoy, I'm new and have a ? or 2.

Ahoy,
After many years as a member I officially became an SH3 player the other day. So far I've completed the Naval academy and had two short Type IIA patrols in 1939. I've only had the game give me 2 problems thus far. One dump to desktop (I may have bumped the windows key because the game didn't crash I just clicked on the icon in the tool bar and was back in action, and one lock up that required a restart. (I was attacking a ship at anchor and had the "lock" button selected in the UZO screen and right when the torpedo struck the game jitterbugged and froze on me). I'm Curious if A: there is an effective way to use the search feature for these forums so I don't have to bother people with questions that have been asked/answered over and over. B: if I should keep playing the stock patched 1.4b version or upgrade to GWX 2.0 right away. Or should I/can I have two versions of SH3 on my system at once. Anyway thanks in advance and if there is a thread of known crash causing issues I can look for right away that would be great to. See you on the high seas.
BonFleck
Bonfleck is offline   Reply With Quote