SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-22, 11:25 AM   #241
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Couple more points I noticed:

- Availability of Turms: Turm2 is needed for installation of FuMO30 and Turm4 is needed for installation of 3,7cm Flak gun SK C/30U. The 3,7cm SK C/30 should be avilable on all IX-type boat as of 1941 and the FuMO30 should be available as of Q1/42 ... BUT as of when are the two Turms available?

- Oxygen level in boat: From my observation, the Co2 level in a IX-type boat is about 3.4% after about 10 hours - definately time to surface and ventilating the boat. Is there any option to add O2 to the breating air in the boat, to extend the 10h time period?

Many thanks!
Oxygen levels are hardcoded sadly it is not possible to change them from stock values.

Turm4 is not needed to get a 3,7cm flak for type IX. The text is meant for Type VII. You should have 3,7cm flak already installed on your type IX

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 06:42 PM   #242
pauluss67
Swabbie

Downloads: 224
Uploads: 0
Default game crashes when loading saves

why does the game crash when I load the saves?
I also read the instructions on when to save
but crash anyway
pauluss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 02:25 PM   #243
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276
Default Removing the marker floating above us

Is there a way to remove that? I don't like having it there. I know it doesn't impact the game but I'd like to get rid of it.
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 04:29 AM   #244
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
Is there a way to remove that? I don't like having it there. I know it doesn't impact the game but I'd like to get rid of it.
When you open JGSME you should see a mod called No UMARK. Activate it.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-22, 03:29 PM   #245
Zinmar
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
When you open JGSME you should see a mod called No UMARK. Activate it.
Thanks so much!! I didn't realize that is what it was for.
Old 08-22-22, 05:49 AM   #246
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauluss67 View Post
why does the game crash when I load the saves?
I also read the instructions on when to save
but crash anyway

Did you overwrite the game saves? If yes, that might be the cause ...
Old 08-22-22, 06:00 AM   #247
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Oxygen levels are hardcoded sadly it is not possible to change them from stock values.

Turm4 is not needed to get a 3,7cm flak for type IX. The text is meant for Type VII. You should have 3,7cm flak already installed on your type IX
Okay, clear on the O2 levels (too bad) ... will manage

I'm not sure, we are talking about the same 3.7cm Flak gun though: I'm referring to the 3,7cm gun SK C/30U, which became standard on type IX boats as of 1941 onward, and was mounted on the aft upper deck (behind the Conning Tower).

Since I am in Oct. 1942, it should be mounted on the IXD2 boat I have, but it is not. To improvise, I selected the 2cm/C30-Gun on the Conning Tower in the twin version.

Perhaps, the note is referring to the 3.7cm automatic M42 (also, for type VII boats), which was available with the Turmumbau IV, as of 1944?
Old 08-24-22, 11:12 AM   #248
frostedflaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

I was just discussing my 3.7cm FlaK woes in the Dark Waters thread.

If I understand, both IXA and IXB should mount the single shot gun initially? The mount for the IXA is missing in DW but present here. I don't know enough to say about models, but I am interested and following your conversation as I become more and more attached to the Type IX.

Also, what does the spotlight do? I can "fire" it, and it seems to be a flickering light. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it? To ask single merchants to stop, Neutrals to be inspected? Signal to other KM elements? It doesn't work great for illumination, which would be handy in the first winter of the war.

Would it be possible to have the deck gun fire projectiles with tracer? I realize it may not be historical but it's the convention for other mods and with the resolution of SH4 and graphic fidelity, it's often the only way to see if my shots are going where intended. Just something to consider. Related, perhaps the 105mm gun is less effective than in other mods? I'm finding sinking even small vessels with hits below the waterline difficult, and one of the advantages of the Type IX is access to quiet waters with lone merchants where the deck gun can flourish.

Is there a way to scale up the added UI elements? I can barely make out the new fuel gauges and so on, even though they are very immersive. Also, would it be possible to have mouseover text translating German elements to English and displaying numerical values?

Finally, patrol objectives. Compared to DW/OM/FOTRSU I get the impression that patrolling around an objective is not enough to complete it. Is there also a tonnage requirement, and if so, can this be reconsidered? Many times I will be given a grid that sees hardly any traffic, especially in 1939, 40.
frostedflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 03:22 AM   #249
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
I was just discussing my 3.7cm FlaK woes in the Dark Waters thread.

If I understand, both IXA and IXB should mount the single shot gun initially? The mount for the IXA is missing in DW but present here. I don't know enough to say about models, but I am interested and following your conversation as I become more and more attached to the Type IX.

Also, what does the spotlight do? I can "fire" it, and it seems to be a flickering light. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use it? To ask single merchants to stop, Neutrals to be inspected? Signal to other KM elements? It doesn't work great for illumination, which would be handy in the first winter of the war.

Would it be possible to have the deck gun fire projectiles with tracer? I realize it may not be historical but it's the convention for other mods and with the resolution of SH4 and graphic fidelity, it's often the only way to see if my shots are going where intended. Just something to consider. Related, perhaps the 105mm gun is less effective than in other mods? I'm finding sinking even small vessels with hits below the waterline difficult, and one of the advantages of the Type IX is access to quiet waters with lone merchants where the deck gun can flourish.

Is there a way to scale up the added UI elements? I can barely make out the new fuel gauges and so on, even though they are very immersive. Also, would it be possible to have mouseover text translating German elements to English and displaying numerical values?

Finally, patrol objectives. Compared to DW/OM/FOTRSU I get the impression that patrolling around an objective is not enough to complete it. Is there also a tonnage requirement, and if so, can this be reconsidered? Many times I will be given a grid that sees hardly any traffic, especially in 1939, 40.

Hi,

I'm just learing the game myself, KSDII that is ... haven't tried DW/OM, yet.

Spot Light: I could never figure out how to operate the spotlight in KSDII. From what I gather, there are quite a view game options in there, that are left over from the original SH4 and just haven't been adapted to KSDII, i.e., they simply don't work ... and I believe the spotlight is one of those ...

Deck gun: I find that ships sink much slower in general in KSDII, e.g., if compared to Sh3. For me, firing the deck gun manually, always works better, i.e., the fire is more accurate compared to letting the crew handle it. Historically, it did take some boats, sometimes up to 70 or more rounds of the deck gun, to finish off a already torpedoed steamer.

UI Elements: I also find myself using a magnifying glass in front of the PC screen at times, in order to make out certain parts of that. For me, it is still manageable ... there are other parts to the game that for me need some "cleaing up", which I already touched on in some other posts in this thread ...

Op.Orders: I also noticed, that in KSDII, one might receive a new primary or secondary patrol objective during the course of a patrol. From what I noticed just having completed one patrol to date, there also is no RTB option at any point during the patrol ... so, one has to actually RTB in order to finish the patrol ... upon arrival in base, the achievements of the patrol are tallied up and translated into renown etc.

Last edited by Kapitän; 08-25-22 at 04:18 AM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 04:06 AM   #250
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
The patch will be installed through JGSME or the patch will be integrated into the installer. It will depend on the changes. Because when editing files it could be hard to make it JGSME compatible. Downloading the installer which has the patch included is a more reliable way, because it eliminates user installation error and it is more simple for user in general and etc. The only downside of it is, that some people don't have good internet so they would have to wait for a long time to finish downloading.

But I believe this patch will be JGSME compatible.

If you are interested in testing new changes for the upcoming patch. You can join discord channel ( it's easier to communicate) or just write in here. Constructive feedback and critics is always welcomed.

Also have you encountered any game crashes?

Thank you for your feedback! It really helps
Hi Niume,

As I don't use Discord, let's communicate here, also, by PM if you like.

Just to summarize some of the points already covered, perhaps to be looked at for the upcoming version:
- 3.7cm Single Shot Flak for IX boat (Turm 4)
- FuMO30 for IX boat (Turm 2)
- Spotlight functionality

On my second shake down cruise, leaving Bordeaux in a IXD2 boat, the end of Dec. 1942, I noticed the following:

- Hotkey "R" does not take you to the radio station. Does it only take you to the radio station if a radar is actually installed?

- Radio News channel doesn't seem to be working; The radio pops up, but nothing is heard when clicking the "On" button ...

- The TVR/TDC always disappears again, when changing views, e.g., from UZO to F6. Can this somehow be locked?

- When locking a target with hotkey "L" on the UZO, the Binocular view on F4 is now also locked on the target, i.e., one can't look in another direction with the binoculars ...

- Fishing enemy pilots out of the water doesn't work. In the F1 captains manual is says, that this function is in fact for picking up enemy pilots and that one receives renown for this upon RTB ...

- Vertical Sync doesn't seem to work with FPS30, works fine with no FPS limitation, e.g., at FPS200+ ...

- Ran across a Portuguese steamer again in the Bay of Biscay: Sank her with manual targeting, however, not using any of the tools, just by simple speed and distance measuring (hit midships from 550m submerged). However, the ship is a "Buchanan" type cargo, which doesn't exist in the Ship ID book ... closest typ to it, is a "Hilton" type cargo ...

- And than again, still ZERO airplanes in the Bay of Biscay (even when applying the mod you sent) => To me, the biggest single point to be fixed ...

Last edited by Kapitän; 08-25-22 at 04:18 AM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 07:20 AM   #251
frostedflaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Hi,

I'm just learing the game myself, KSDII that is ... haven't tried DW/OM, yet.

Spot Light: I could never figure out how to operate the spotlight in KSDII. From what I gather, there are quite a view game options in there, that are left over from the original SH4 and just haven't been adapted to KSDII, i.e., they simply don't work ... and I believe the spotlight is one of those ...

Deck gun: I find that ships sink much slower in general in KSDII, e.g., if compared to Sh3. For me, firing the deck gun manually, always works better, i.e., the fire is more accurate compared to letting the crew handle it. Historically, it did take some boats, sometimes up to 70 or more rounds of the deck gun, to finish off a already torpedoed steamer.

UI Elements: I also find myself using a magnifying glass in front of the PC screen at times, in order to make out certain parts of that. For me, it is still manageable ... there are other parts to the game that for me need some "cleaing up", which I already touched on in some other posts in this thread ...

Op.Orders: I also noticed, that in KSDII, one might receive a new primary or secondary patrol objective during the course of a patrol. From what I noticed just having completed one patrol to date, there also is no RTB option at any point during the patrol ... so, one has to actually RTB in order to finish the patrol ... upon arrival in base, the achievements of the patrol are tallied up and translated into renown etc.
Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with needing a magnifying glass or not being able to read German! I'm also a bit relieved the spotlight was a mystery to others. Do you assign crew to it while surfaced or not? I haven't been as yet.
frostedflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 07:28 AM   #252
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with needing a magnifying glass or not being able to read German! I'm also a bit relieved the spotlight was a mystery to others. Do you assign crew to it while surfaced or not? I haven't been as yet.
Reading German is not an issue for me

To be honest, I'm not really sure where to place a crew member, in order to operate the spotlight ...
Old 08-29-22, 07:15 PM   #253
Zinmar
Commander

I loved the look of Dark waters but could never get it to work.
Old 08-31-22, 09:13 AM   #254
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Did you have game crashes and/or just couldn't get a good feeling for the game?

Which Game Mod are you playing now?
Old 08-31-22, 10:41 AM   #255
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
A few... questions, if you will, zinmar...

1. Source of SH 4.?

2. Where were you installing it, as this makes a... BIIIG difference.

Going with the default drop/install of it (much less, any of the SH sims, for that matter... imo, any game, for that matter... ) should never... NEVER EVER... be installed to \Program file (either the normal one or the (x86) folder... EVER.... did I mention ever... )

This is Window's rabid attack guard dawg's pit bull area.... & it don't like you tampering or mucking about with folders & files in its domain, even after you tell it you can & will do so... ever.

Depending on your source of it there... really depends on how you approach the means & methodology of how you go about doing your install.

If it is with Steam, there is a method I found, to do more than 1 copy of SH4 & still retain the original install... in prime virgin status.

3. Once installed... you did run it once, so as to finalize its set up, yes...?

This is crucial, & just asking as I recall one user that failed to do so... they got a bit... gung ho iguana, in wanting to get to it & in that haste, well... yeah...

4. Once ran for that 1st time, did you go into SH4's .exe properties, & change it from read only to where the .exe, was capable of being overwritten... again, as with the above... about running it for the 1st time... this is of MAJOR import... & must be ensured, so as to avoid... issues.

5. Did you use JSGME, in getting OM: DW's set up...

JSGME, is your friend, as it allows you to back out changes to the stock copy of SH4 that you use to add the mod (or any other mods, for that matter... ) to it, generally, returning the stock copy, to a pristine condition.

Note: Not often, buuuutttt... every once in a blue moon, the stock can get fouled up... even with using JSGME to back out the mods.

Best advice here... & this is something that even I have done... is after doing that initial install & after having ran SH4, that 1st time... I have a snap shot of the entirety of the SH4 folder... as a backup copy, so as to know just what folders & files to set to the side, just in case... so if I have to do a refresh of the guts... well... I know what should stay... & what should go.

Just remember where you set those removed items, in case you're looking to reset things back up... not to mention, tuck that snapshot, as well.... so you know where it is, when & if... you need it.

I strongly advocate, using JSGME, in adding in mods, rather than Frankenstein'ing them in... as if anything goes wrong, then you'll have to end up stuffing all of that work into the rear tube & consigning it to... the briny deep... which is never a good thing. The more you do to avoid having to... the better off you are... savvy...

5. Going to touch on this briefly, but... just in the off chance you're looking to run more than 1 mod set up of SH4... then I highly recommend using MultiSH4. This nifty gadget, allows you to set up that mod mix's own game saves folder... well away from the stock virgin copy of SH4's own save folder...

If all you're looking to do is run that 1 copy, then... can bypass that.

6. Did you use either a 4GB patch kit or Large address aware, on the modded SH4.exe, by chance.?

The patch kit, tells your computer that 'hey window's dummy... this game/sim, has the right to have full, unfettered access to 4 gigs of RAM... got it, dummy. NOT that it may ever use all 4 of those gigs, just that it has access to them, if necessary.

Same with LAA, to Me, LAA is just... easier to set up. 3 steps & bam... done.

Both are aimed at your SH4's .exe, just to be clear, if that wasn't already...

Ok, now... with your, experiences with it... just what about it was the issue... exactly, in 'not getting it to work', by chance.?

Would you mind... clarifying that & expounding on that, a bit more than... just wouldn't work... if you would... thanks. The more info known the better it makes for looking at it & seeing what can be done to rectify it & get you up & running, 'ship shape'...

M. M.

Tags
ksd ii, u-boat