SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-23, 03:28 PM   #5416
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Has your sub been followed around by a long column of smoke wherever you go? I searched around. Found it's an old bug. But someone said by disabling NSM, it will go away. I don't remember using NSM mod anywhere.
You definitely do not want to use any mods that are not expressly built for FotRSU, since a goodly portion of the ship calls and library calls are quite different from most other mods. That "steam cloud" that follows you around is not a bug, unless you consider self-inflicted wounds as "bugs". Generally speaking, when you get graphic and / or sound anomalies, it is usually due to the player having "shelled-out" to Windows. Whether it is done purposefully to do email or use calculator, or if it is accidental, due to Windows using the systray or notification area to throw up a splash screen, it will take the focus off of the game, and the game then gets confused. Usually, if you Save the game, exit the game, re-start the game, and then load the Save, you'll be back to "normal" (as normal can be). Definitely NOT a 'modern' Windows program.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 02:08 AM   #5417
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0
Default Crash

Hi guys,

I have a UBI installed and vanilla working in 1.5 SH4 install.
However, with FOTRS (and Dark Waters) I get a CTD just the second I would enter the control room after the loading screen to start the mission.

I do not get this if I load Dark waters over KSDII, then it loads normally but minus the UB control towers. Logically because of the mod mixup, but that seems to me both FOTRS and DW take or fail to bring certain files to the game (guessing here)

In FOTRS I get the message "an error occured" and when okaying that he gives 1 more message, after giving a blackscreen. see pics...
(DW just goes to desktop)

Any ideas?

EDIT: As a side note, the Italian Betasom Fleetboat mod works, on a clean SH4, so this mod has something the others dont... (tech speaking)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-05-01 085220.jpg (14.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-05-01 085252.jpg (13.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by trebby; 05-01-23 at 05:24 AM.
trebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 07:27 AM   #5418
propbeanie

You should have a separate copy of SH4 for each mod you want to use (within reason, of course). You also cannot be in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files. Looking at your JSGME grab, you are in "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \..." (downloaded version??), and Windows rolls back a lot of the changes made to the folder that JSGME (or you) makes. The picture files are not rolled back, but anything with a cfg extension (and others) are, which results in a odd mix. You also must empty the Save folder between mod config changes, because JSGME puts the changes into the game folder, and the game then populates the Save folder, but does NOT over-write existing files there, which results in more of a mish-mash of a mod mix. Then there is the need to use an app like the 4Gig Patch or Large Address Aware (LAA) on the SH4.exe file to have Windows give the app more memory space to play in. The KSD mod comes with a patched copy of the file, which is why it works OK. You might have 64 Gig of RAM on your machine, but Windows still only allows a small sandbox for the 32-bit apps to play in. Using a memory applet like the 4Gig Patch or LAA tells Windows that the SH4.exe file is able to address more memory, and it therefore allows it more.

I would suggest un-installing what you have, and deleting the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (easier to get to in Win10 & 11 with the Quick Access or This PC shortcuts in File Manager). Then re-install the game, and when the installer asks you where you want to install the game, change the path to a folder you make, such as "C:\Games \Ubisoft..." You can install to the default if you want, but once you have the game installed fresh, select your game folder (Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific), and <Ctrl><C> to copy it. You could come out to the "root" Games folder (C:\Games\) that you created and paste it there, or put it where you want to (other than a Program Files folder... ). Once all of the files are copied over, change the name of the game folder to whatever mod you're going to add to it. You can do that however many times you want to, re-naming the folder each time. Download MultiSH4 v1.5 from SubSim, un-zip it and put a copy of that in the root game folder of each of your copies. Download the NTCore 4Gig Patch, unzip it, and put a copy in each folder. Navigate to the root of each of your game copies, select the "SH4.exe" and the "FileManager.dll" file in those folders, right-click and choose "Properties". On the first "General" tab toward the bottom is the "Attributes" section. Make certain the "Read-only" tick box is empty. OK your way out. Now with just the SH4.exe selected, do the same right-click and "Properties", only this time, use the "Compatibility" tab, and either click on the "Run compatibility troubleshooter" and go through it to set the Properties, or do it yourself. You will most likely need to tick the "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and probably have to use the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then set the "High DPI scaling override" to "Application". You might also need to "Run this program as an administrator" and to use the "Compatibility mode". On this computer, I have a 4k monitor, but I cannot see anything at that resolution, so I set the game to 2048 instead, but I then have to set the Scaling to "When I start this application" also. You will have to experiment with those settings.

Once you have those, run the 4Gig Patch app, navigate it into the game folder you are currently in, and select the SH4.exe file. You should then get a little message window "Executable successfully patched! [OK]" If not, then either you are in the wrong folder, or the SH4.exe is NOT write-able, so check your patch, and check the Properties & that "Read-only" tick box again, and try the 4Gig Patch again. After you have that, run the MultiSH4.exe file in the game folder, and type in a new, unique, 3-character "name" for the Save folder. "SH4" is used by the Stock game (still in your Ubisoft folder), so what I like to do is name the Save folder after the mod I'm using, such as "KSD" for that mod, "TMO" for that one, "FRS" (or similar) for FotRSU, etc. Once you have all of that done, then - and only then - you can apply the mod set you want. But keep the KSD files in your KSD copy of SH4, your OM-DW files in that copy, your FotRSU files in that copy, etc. With each copy of SH4 having their own unique "Save" folder, all of the copies are segregated and their own entities, not interfering with each other, and Windows not interfering with them... usually...

I probably forgot something important in all of that, so since you have the FotRSU mod, look in its Support folder for the various pdf files with help. There is "Install Notes For SH4.pdf" and "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf", along with the "100_FotRSU_ReadMe.pdf" that all mention various aspects of installing SH4 and / or activating FotRSU, which does apply to the other mods, other than the names of what you are activating. FotRSU also has LAA and the 4Gig Patch, along with MultiSH4 as part of the mod package. Look in the mod's root folder, or the Extras \AddInToolsPak folders.

Old 05-01-23, 07:53 AM   #5419
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

Last night, I parked myself near northwest of Midway and ambushed a retreating column from the battle of midway. At first I thought it was the remnants of famous Kido Butai, but I saw 1x Yamato, 2x Nagato and 1x Zuiho. Then I realized that I stumbled upon the Main Body rather than Kido Butai.

But historically, the Main Body should be positioned to the southwest of Midway rather than northwest, right? Also, Yamato took 8x MK10 torpedoes on her portside, (4x direct under keel explosions and another 4 near the rear engine space with 1 shot right above the propellers), she didn't even slow down.

Another question is I was trying to catch and participate in all major naval battles of the pacific war. I was able to do many of them such as Battle of Java Sea or Midway. But I have never been able to catch any Japanese for the battle of Coral Sea. I tried and searched around multiple times, but couldn't find any trace of either Port Moseby Invasion flotilla or Admiral Takagi's carrier force. I am pretty sure I was using the correct coordinates and there were multiple radio messages in-game talking about potential positions of those enemy forces, but all I found was empty sea. Do Japanese forces exist for Coral Sea in-game? Just wonder.

I also had an un-requested base transfer. I was on my 3rd mission driving a S boat as a part of the Asiatic Fleet out of Fremantle. But when I was leaving the port, I noticed my home base changed to Brisbane. I did not request any transfer while in-base. Also there was no radio message announcing base transfer. Is this normal?

Oh, one last question. I saw a pdf file in one of the folders listing out all boat available dates for all bases. But is there any info on renown cost for each class? Or ship upgrades don't cost any renown?
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 09:01 AM   #5420
propbeanie

Working backwards through your questions, there is a "Submarine Availability_16112021.pdf" under the Support \ExtraInfo folder that is just as inaccurate as the "BoatsByMonth.pdf" file. Both are from almost 2 years ago, and badly need updating. Most of the boat "upgrades" do not cost the player, unless they are offered early, which most are not. The boats were not discriminated against, favoring one over the other, and as they came back in from patrol were re-fitted with what was available. You cannot purchase boats, as you can in SH3, nor can you purchase conning towers, which is a definite disadvantage and a very short- short-coming of the SH4 game. The way it is laid out, if you come back in from patrol and "qualify" (score enough renown points) for a "re-fit" (a new conning tower -OR- new command), the game will ALWAYS offer the new boat first, whether it is truly available or not. It behooves the player to know when the Balao and Tench are actually "active" in the game prior to accepting a New Command, since that is the quickest way to becoming the Flying Dutchman, and ~never~ being allowed to come home and dock to end patrol. So, do NOT accept a Balao boat if it is prior to 1943-05-21, nor a Tench if it is prior to 1945-01-01, else that would be it for your game... ~THAT~ is a bug of the game, similarly to the S-Boats loading Mark 14 torpedoes.

As to the "unrequested" base transfer, that is a matter to take up with CNO Adm King, but be prepared for a keel-hauling as disciplinary action... - The surviving, soon-to-be former Asiatic Fleet S-Boats were transferred to Brisbane effective April 15, 1942, to begin operations around Rabaul and other points in the new enemy territories of the Solomon and Bismarck Seas. There was also a contingent of six "freshly" overhauled S-42 Class boats (six of them) that came over from Panama with tender USS Griffin. There were supposed to be more S-Boats that came over, but were rejected as being un-fit for combat duty ( ). None of the base transfers will be automatically sent to your boat. That is an impossibility in the game. It behooves the player to pay attention to normal radio traffic, because important information such as that is broadcast to all boats. You will usually get at least two messages, one saying "prepare to move", and the other saying "effective such-and-such a date" about the bases. You might also see "port facilities now available at..." messages, informing you of a base that can either be transferred to (if applicable), or at the least, be a fueling / re-arming location. If you're not careful, Christie will drag you before the review board, and give your boat to someone else...

Now, as to the "realism" of the battles... even with lurker_hlb3's (RSRDC) attempts at "accuracy" in routing, that will still fall short of "historical". The game is a one-track, one-trick pony, and can only do so many things at any one point in time. Actually, it can only do one thing at a time, just kind of rapidly. As such, a given group that is supposed to spawn at a given time on a given date might be several hours late due to the game. Routing is another oddity, in that the game is rather liberal with how closely it follows the modder's WayPoints used. Plus, if you throw in a random other grouping that happens to cross paths with the "scheduled" grouping, that throws the scheduled group off schedule even further. Plus, all of the "routing" of these groups, being somewhat based on history, all depend upon which charting map track the modder follows. With all of that in mind, the major groupings are generally there, but not precisely. You will find the Coral Sea Battle and the Battle of Midway in the Campaigns Campaign folder, but those are just two sets of "battle" files, and do not show the whole picture. The Milne transports are in the game, but of course, they do not make it very far. The cover group is there also, but all of the groupings "fake" the impetus behind their turning back, or the troop's abandonment in later movements. You can use Naval History and Heritage Command's War, Conflicts & Operations section for WW2, and browse by year for a bit of "historic" background (the site is slow again this morning here), if desired. In the meantime, don't forget that it's a BIG ocean our there...

Old 05-01-23, 10:34 AM   #5421
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie
I am a little confused by what you said about new sub/ship upgrade/conning tower upgrade.

1. Just to confirm what negative things would happen (say for example if you accept Tench before 1/1/1945)? You would become baseless unable to end a patrol?

2. How am I supposed to know the actual in-game "active" date for each boat?

3. When I am offered a new command, they don't tell you what new boat you are getting. So I guess if you accept it and it turns out to be a Tench before 1/1/1945 then quit and reload?

4. Lastly (the game will ALWAYS offer the new boat first). I ended my patrol at Brisbane in June 1942. Based on "BoatsByMonth", the new boat for Brisbane would be Sargo, but I was offered a Salmon. I guess the "BoatsByMonth" is outdated as you said?
Old 05-01-23, 02:14 PM   #5422
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You should have a separate copy of SH4 for each mod you want to use (within reason, of course). You also cannot be in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files. Looking at your JSGME grab, you are in "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \..." (downloaded version??), and Windows rolls back a lot of the changes made to the folder that JSGME (or you) makes. The picture files are not rolled back, but anything with a cfg extension (and others) are, which results in a odd mix. You also must empty the Save folder between mod config changes, because JSGME puts the changes into the game folder, and the game then populates the Save folder, but does NOT over-write existing files there, which results in more of a mish-mash of a mod mix. Then there is the need to use an app like the 4Gig Patch or Large Address Aware (LAA) on the SH4.exe file to have Windows give the app more memory space to play in. The KSD mod comes with a patched copy of the file, which is why it works OK. You might have 64 Gig of RAM on your machine, but Windows still only allows a small sandbox for the 32-bit apps to play in. Using a memory applet like the 4Gig Patch or LAA tells Windows that the SH4.exe file is able to address more memory, and it therefore allows it more.

I would suggest un-installing what you have, and deleting the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (easier to get to in Win10 & 11 with the Quick Access or This PC shortcuts in File Manager). Then re-install the game, and when the installer asks you where you want to install the game, change the path to a folder you make, such as "C:\Games \Ubisoft..." You can install to the default if you want, but once you have the game installed fresh, select your game folder (Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific), and <Ctrl><C> to copy it. You could come out to the "root" Games folder (C:\Games\) that you created and paste it there, or put it where you want to (other than a Program Files folder... ). Once all of the files are copied over, change the name of the game folder to whatever mod you're going to add to it. You can do that however many times you want to, re-naming the folder each time. Download MultiSH4 v1.5 from SubSim, un-zip it and put a copy of that in the root game folder of each of your copies. Download the NTCore 4Gig Patch, unzip it, and put a copy in each folder. Navigate to the root of each of your game copies, select the "SH4.exe" and the "FileManager.dll" file in those folders, right-click and choose "Properties". On the first "General" tab toward the bottom is the "Attributes" section. Make certain the "Read-only" tick box is empty. OK your way out. Now with just the SH4.exe selected, do the same right-click and "Properties", only this time, use the "Compatibility" tab, and either click on the "Run compatibility troubleshooter" and go through it to set the Properties, or do it yourself. You will most likely need to tick the "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and probably have to use the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then set the "High DPI scaling override" to "Application". You might also need to "Run this program as an administrator" and to use the "Compatibility mode". On this computer, I have a 4k monitor, but I cannot see anything at that resolution, so I set the game to 2048 instead, but I then have to set the Scaling to "When I start this application" also. You will have to experiment with those settings.

Once you have those, run the 4Gig Patch app, navigate it into the game folder you are currently in, and select the SH4.exe file. You should then get a little message window "Executable successfully patched! [OK]" If not, then either you are in the wrong folder, or the SH4.exe is NOT write-able, so check your patch, and check the Properties & that "Read-only" tick box again, and try the 4Gig Patch again. After you have that, run the MultiSH4.exe file in the game folder, and type in a new, unique, 3-character "name" for the Save folder. "SH4" is used by the Stock game (still in your Ubisoft folder), so what I like to do is name the Save folder after the mod I'm using, such as "KSD" for that mod, "TMO" for that one, "FRS" (or similar) for FotRSU, etc. Once you have all of that done, then - and only then - you can apply the mod set you want. But keep the KSD files in your KSD copy of SH4, your OM-DW files in that copy, your FotRSU files in that copy, etc. With each copy of SH4 having their own unique "Save" folder, all of the copies are segregated and their own entities, not interfering with each other, and Windows not interfering with them... usually...

I probably forgot something important in all of that, so since you have the FotRSU mod, look in its Support folder for the various pdf files with help. There is "Install Notes For SH4.pdf" and "Activating Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition.pdf", along with the "100_FotRSU_ReadMe.pdf" that all mention various aspects of installing SH4 and / or activating FotRSU, which does apply to the other mods, other than the names of what you are activating. FotRSU also has LAA and the 4Gig Patch, along with MultiSH4 as part of the mod package. Look in the mod's root folder, or the Extras \AddInToolsPak folders.

The Oracle speaks.... and so It worked!

Thanks again for setting me up.

Only thing with multiple copies of the game is that only if I change the name to the original title of "SH4 Gold Edition" in the game folder the game runs, with any mods and just fine.
Have to re-change the name in my gamefolder (outside of any program files)
If I want another modded version.

Old 05-02-23, 02:08 PM   #5423
propbeanie

Quote:
@propbeanie
I am a little confused by what you said about new sub/ship upgrade/conning tower upgrade.

1. Just to confirm what negative things would happen (say for example if you accept Tench before 1/1/1945)? You would become baseless unable to end a patrol?

2. How am I supposed to know the actual in-game "active" date for each boat?

3. When I am offered a new command, they don't tell you what new boat you are getting. So I guess if you accept it and it turns out to be a Tench before 1/1/1945 then quit and reload?

4. Lastly (the game will ALWAYS offer the new boat first). I ended my patrol at Brisbane in June 1942. Based on "BoatsByMonth", the new boat for Brisbane would be Sargo, but I was offered a Salmon. I guess the "BoatsByMonth" is outdated as you said?
1. If you take a Tench on 1944-12-31, you will not have a home port, even on 1945-08-01, you will not have a home port. This is the story behind The Flying Dutchman, doomed to roam the 7 seas, looking for home, but unable to find it...

2. That spreadsheet is close to accurate, but the only two boats the player has to worry about are the Balao (1943-05-21) and the Tench (1945-01-01), so just remember those two. The Gato is in early 1942, but unless you "seed" your renown score before March, no biggie.

3. If it is before May of 1943, the Tench will not show up. Generally, the "earliest" we've seen either of the boats offered is one quarter, so in February of 1943 for the Balao, and October of 1944 for the Tench, though I'm sure someone has gotten them earlier, if they had a HUGE renown score...

4. Yes, but herein lies the rub: We used to have each class of boat as its own "level", starting at zero "0" with the S-Boats, going up to 8 with the Tench... unfortunately, that made the "New Boat" issue worse, in that there was almost always a new, higher ranked boat available for the game to "reward" you with. Therefore, we went back to the "old" way, and the S-boats through the Porpoise are now one level, the Salmon & Sargo are next, then the Tambor and Gar, then the Gato, then the Balao, and lastly the Tench. The game will almost always choose the "lower" class as your new boat assignment. If you instead earn enough renown for a higher class boat, it will step up to the next Class, such as the Tambor instead of the Salmon... kind of irritating the way the game does stuff like that, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebby View Post
The Oracle speaks.... and so It worked!

Thanks again for setting me up.

Only thing with multiple copies of the game is that only if I change the name to the original title of "SH4 Gold Edition" in the game folder the game runs, with any mods and just fine.
Have to re-change the name in my gamefolder (outside of any program files)
If I want another modded version.

Yes, there are differences between the older Ubisoft copies (which I have), and the newer ones with the updated UConnect, which I have not tried to deal with my SH4 install yet. I have with SH5, and it is a bother... You can build your own desktop short-cuts, or make them in the Ubi Launcher also, but I do not remember the Launcher's way... you can right-click on your desktop though, then "New", "Shortcut", and then the "Browse" button and navigate to find your game install folder. Find the SH4.exe file, and "Next", then change the name to whatever you want, and "Finish" that. With my version of UConnect, I don't have to go through the Ubi Start, but maybe with the newer version they might want to check your "license", which Steam does similar the first time you run a copy of their game.

Old 05-02-23, 11:40 PM   #5424
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
4. Yes, but herein lies the rub: We used to have each class of boat as its own "level", starting at zero "0" with the S-Boats, going up to 8 with the Tench... unfortunately, that made the "New Boat" issue worse, in that there was almost always a new, higher ranked boat available for the game to "reward" you with. Therefore, we went back to the "old" way, and the S-boats through the Porpoise are now one level, the Salmon & Sargo are next, then the Tambor and Gar, then the Gato, then the Balao, and lastly the Tench. The game will almost always choose the "lower" class as your new boat assignment. If you instead earn enough renown for a higher class boat, it will step up to the next Class, such as the Tambor instead of the Salmon... kind of irritating the way the game does stuff like that, but it is what it is.
I'm wondering that is it possible to skip some sub class? For example, now i'm in a salmon, when the game give me a new sub (which should be tambor or gar) , if i refuse the new command and continue my career with salmon and earn enough renown, can i get a gato directly in the furture?

Last edited by flaminus; 05-03-23 at 03:36 AM.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-23, 07:35 AM   #5425
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie

So essentially, once you upgraded to Tench, you cannot end your game any more?

Also, I know Gato is available in early 1942. I am in Oct 1942 now and have 3000+ renown accumulated, but still not offered to upgrade. I played from several different starting (from Manila, PH), but never get upgrade to Gato. I mean how many renown do I need? 3000 is still not enough?
Old 05-03-23, 08:16 AM   #5426
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
I'm wondering that is it possible to skip some sub class? For example, now i'm in a salmon, when the game give me a new sub (which should be tambor or gar) , if i refuse the new command and continue my career with salmon and earn enough renown, can i get a gato directly in the furture?
i think the game is wired from a different POV.
rather than a player earning renown to be awarded a newer/better boat, SH4 seems to be programmed to award the next level boat.

so, "saving up" renown and being successful over time will not necessarily mean that your next boat will be a Gato or Balao.

another factor, is that some of the older boats have a defined life, so if you kept your salmon into 1945, tambor or gar may no longer be available as an upgrade. this will depend on the mod-set you are playing.
it is more complicated than it needs to be, i suspect.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-23, 09:18 AM   #5427
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i think the game is wired from a different POV.
rather than a player earning renown to be awarded a newer/better boat, SH4 seems to be programmed to award the next level boat.

so, "saving up" renown and being successful over time will not necessarily mean that your next boat will be a Gato or Balao.

another factor, is that some of the older boats have a defined life, so if you kept your salmon into 1945, tambor or gar may no longer be available as an upgrade. this will depend on the mod-set you are playing.
it is more complicated than it needs to be, i suspect.
Definitely too complicated. I always refer to Ducimus's #10 post from back-when in the Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements thread. You have your renown, but you also have a Patrol (skipper) Rating that plays into the equation. You can indeed "skip" boat levels. We have had reports from players in early 1943 driving a Sargo out of Fremantle, be awarded a Balao and sent to Mare Island. We have attempted to alter the points possible in the mod, but the game still does some kind of strange behavior. Ducimus's "formulation" is not 100% correct by any stretch (the order of math operations is ambiguous at best), but there are no better explanations as to what the "logic" in the game does... but yes, you can indeed skip classes of boats, but it depends upon your Patrol Rating, and the renown points earned total, as well as the points earned on the most recent patrol, along with the caveat that Ducimus speaks of about NOT HAVING BAD PATROLS, especially early in your career, because of the difficulty of recovering from negative scores sometimes, due to the way the game does its "math"...

Quote:
@propbeanie

So essentially, once you upgraded to Tench, you cannot end your game any more?

Also, I know Gato is available in early 1942. I am in Oct 1942 now and have 3000+ renown accumulated, but still not offered to upgrade. I played from several different starting (from Manila, PH), but never get upgrade to Gato. I mean how many renown do I need? 3000 is still not enough?
Refer to the above for the game's "criteria" for an upgrade. The number of patrols, the renown score, the patrol rating all come into play. That "rating" thing is apparently also contingent upon completed Objectives. If you do the bare minimum when on patrol, such as "Patrol the designated area for 10 days", which you complete and then come in, will not "earn" you as good of a rating as if you patrol for the 10 days, then do a Status Update and get another assignment, complete that, and do the same again. In the meantime, each time you come in contact with the enemy, track them properly and send in a Contact Report, and get an Objective from that... It seems that if you do four or more Objectives each patrol, your rating will be higher. Possibly due to the fact that you earn more renown, but it seems like it bumps your level up also. Same with the settings you use for Difficulty going into the GamePlay settings, and get as close to 100% as you can. If you run at say 34% difficulty, then when you get 1000 renown points, it only counts as 340 renown points. 90% would give you 900 points, etc.

Old 05-03-23, 09:32 AM   #5428
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie
Oh, man I never know that. Damn, I have been lazy and trying to do the minimum so that I can roam freely to participate in historical battles. I only reported convoy once. Btw a few other questions:

1. I did two patrols out of my new base at Brisbane. But the mission objectives were exactly the same for both Patrols (patrol north coast of New Guineas for 5 days). The funny thing was both time I departed my base at night. Felt a bit Deja Vu. Maybe a coincidence, but not sure if that sounds normal to you.

2. How many torpedoes does it take to sink a Yamato? The 1st time which I mentioned earlier. I hit her with 8x Mk10 and she shrugged it off. My jaws were on the floor while watching her leisured her way away from me. The 2nd time, I sneaked into Truk and found her (maybe her sister) again. This time I hit her with 9x MK14 (lucky for me, no duds) and she laughed me like I just scratched her back. So my question is: has anyone ever sunk a Yamato or Musashi? Or is it really sinkable?
Old 05-03-23, 10:05 AM   #5429
propbeanie

There are several very similar missions in that New Guinea area, with slightly different assignments. The time you depart is dependent upon when you came in from the previous patrol... like a 12 hour difference... ?? I am not certain on that. Also, if you did not complete the original Objective assignment, the game can and will re-assign your boat to it. Not always right away, but usually it does.

As for the Musashi's demise:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31724995
"After the final attack ended in mid-afternoon, the vessel was hit by 20 torpedoes, and 17 bombs. There were 18 near-misses.

By early evening, the Musashi capsized and sank. More than 1,000 of its crew were killed for the loss of 18 American aircraft."

and Yamato's:
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-allied-forces
" Struck by 19 American aerial torpedoes, it was sunk, drowning 2,498 of its crew."
Sure, those are not the same torpedoes as the submarines used, but similar. Also, the Mark10 was quite a bit weaker than the Mark14 head, especially after they started using torpex in the 14s. I did a test mission a while back, and with a stationary Yamato, giving careful aim with my torpedoes from 1200 yards out, it normally took 10+ Mark 14 torpedoes to sink her. One time, I got it down with 8, but that was an accident that I hit the magazine apparently on her on the 8th hit... but 10-12 Mark 14 is definitely not out of the question. I have shot 12 Mark 10s out of an S-Boat, and had to leave it at that... - I wouldn't be surprised if it would be as many as 16 Mark10 torpedoes... You can get the Kongo (I think it is) down with four, and I think I have sunk the Nagato with four. Again though, those are test missions with cooperative targets that happily take it on the chin. I have also seen, while on patrol, the same ships be hit with four torpedoes that detonated, and walk away, leaving behind 3 or 4 DD that then proceed to do the Mexican Hat Dance above our boat for a while... - If you want something "easy" to sink, hit some of the cruisers just behind the turrets, in front of the conn, and watch them go down with one torp... We're trying (again) to change that behavior.

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-03-23 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added quotes
Old 05-03-23, 10:58 AM   #5430
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
If you want something "easy" to sink, hit some of the cruisers just behind the turrets, in front of the conn, and watch them go down with one torp... We're trying (again) to change that behavior.
bwaaaah...good luck with that!
one torpedo per ship.
make 'em count, son.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote