SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-22, 10:00 PM   #5116
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Thanks for explaining, that's what happened. I saw the May 31 date for a Balao but didn't know that did not include Midway! I'll remember that going forwarded.
We have a pdf "spreadsheet" in one of the Support folders that shows the subs and ports, but it needs some updating for the next release. We might move Midway out of the Balao until September, like Pearl is, and then maybe the game will start taking people to San Francisco, like it used to when you got an early "award"... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Yes, I'm still crashing, I've determined that it's an issue with the FotRSU and not my install of SH4. This is because when I run v1.5 of SH4 (the one with U-boat missions), I have no issues at all. Yet when I load the mod on, it crashes on me.
Just be sure you navigate into the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar) with Windows Explorer after activating FotRSU, and delete the data. Doing that from the game does not eliminate all of the old data. The game will re-create the folder and data the next time it runs. You do lose all progress in any career you have though, and you will have to re-set your options for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel44 View Post
I just return from a patrol where I sank 10 ships in Japanese home waters early in the war and I received a medal - the citation read Navy Cross - but the picture was a bronze star... did my medals file get corrupted? Is there a file I should recopy from a clean install?
The Awards were re-worked for the mod a while back by CapnScurvy, to make the CMoH more difficult to obtain. The Awards in the game are not easy to deal with, so the way they are edited is to change the names we see in the game, but the base award is still the same. The pictures were also changed to protect the guilty (Ubisoft). If there are issues with your Save folder, what you describe is a possible side-effect. Another way to have similar happen is to Save the game prior to coming into port, docking, and then loading the earlier Save and coming back in to dock again in an attempt to get an upgrade. Usually, any medal earned will be downgraded when coming in to port a 2nd time. Your situation does not seem to quite fit that. Like the advice to Brooksie above, it is recommended that you delete your Save folder so that fresh data can be brought in. You will lose those ship sinkings and other career progress, as well as the game configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel44 View Post
On a related question - can the criteria for medals be edited in a specific file in the game? In history, if a captain returned with 5 or more sinkings, the Navy Cross was the award. Can you get more than one the same medal in the game? Does realism play into the award criteria? I play realism except for exterior view (because I like the eye-candy of watching my sub slip below the wave or surface)

Thanks for any thoughts you can share...

Yes, you can get more than one of the same medal in a career, but only one per patrol. We attempt "realism" in the medals awards, but... it is a Silent Hunter game... There are also medals and promotions available for you to give to your crew when in the Office. Click on the sub on the desk, then go to the crew page, and click on the appropriate tab in the left-hand column, and then click and drag to the crew member with the mouse pointer signifying who will get the medal or promotion. Release the mouse button over that person. If a promotion does not take, then there is probably a restriction in place. As to editing the Medals.upc file, it is in the Data /UPCData /UPCCrewData folder, and can be edited with a text editor. The medals' pictures are in the Data /Menu and Data /Menu /Gui folders.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:23 PM   #5117
Rigel44
Sailor man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0

Thank you propbeanie for some suggestions to try. I did check my crew there was one promotion and no awards to be given out
Rigel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 07:00 AM   #5118
Brooksie
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We have a pdf "spreadsheet" in one of the Support folders that shows the subs and ports, but it needs some updating for the next release. We might move Midway out of the Balao until September, like Pearl is, and then maybe the game will start taking people to San Francisco, like it used to when you got an early "award"... lol

Just be sure you navigate into the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar) with Windows Explorer after activating FotRSU, and delete the data. Doing that from the game does not eliminate all of the old data. The game will re-create the folder and data the next time it runs. You do lose all progress in any career you have though, and you will have to re-set your options for the game.

The Awards were re-worked for the mod a while back by CapnScurvy, to make the CMoH more difficult to obtain. The Awards in the game are not easy to deal with, so the way they are edited is to change the names we see in the game, but the base award is still the same. The pictures were also changed to protect the guilty (Ubisoft). If there are issues with your Save folder, what you describe is a possible side-effect. Another way to have similar happen is to Save the game prior to coming into port, docking, and then loading the earlier Save and coming back in to dock again in an attempt to get an upgrade. Usually, any medal earned will be downgraded when coming in to port a 2nd time. Your situation does not seem to quite fit that. Like the advice to Brooksie above, it is recommended that you delete your Save folder so that fresh data can be brought in. You will lose those ship sinkings and other career progress, as well as the game configuration.

Yes, you can get more than one of the same medal in a career, but only one per patrol. We attempt "realism" in the medals awards, but... it is a Silent Hunter game... There are also medals and promotions available for you to give to your crew when in the Office. Click on the sub on the desk, then go to the crew page, and click on the appropriate tab in the left-hand column, and then click and drag to the crew member with the mouse pointer signifying who will get the medal or promotion. Release the mouse button over that person. If a promotion does not take, then there is probably a restriction in place. As to editing the Medals.upc file, it is in the Data /UPCData /UPCCrewData folder, and can be edited with a text editor. The medals' pictures are in the Data /Menu and Data /Menu /Gui folders.
I'll give that a try later, I really hope this time it works, Thank you.

Skipper Brooksie
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 02:15 PM   #5119
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54
Default Dual 5 Inch Deck Gun Crew Question

I'm in a Balao out of Guam in late 1944. After last patrol, I purchased the available 5 inch deck gun upgrade that offers both a bow and a stern gun. I've done this in past careers and don't recall if I had (or even noticed) an issue with the gun crews. The bow gun has slot for 4 crew on the crew page. The stern gun only has slots for 3 crew. I've checked the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file and both guns reflect crew slots for 4. Hoping maybe PropBeanie has an idea of whether this is an issue or intended behavior for one gun to only have 3 crew members. If that is the case, I wonder why the file reflects 4 slots for bot the bow and stern guns?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deck Gun Issue 1.jpg (50.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Duck Gun Issue 2.jpg (67.2 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Deck Gun Crew Issue.txt (3.8 KB, 5 views)
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 02:21 PM   #5120
Swissup
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Default Blackscreen crash upon loading in patrol

Hello everybody!
I've made an account just for this mod

I'm having the exact same issue as Brooksie mentioned here above.
Same error message with the fog (which is now deactivated) and the game blackscreens the moment you'd appear in your submarine. Sometimes a small error message pops up after the blackscreen which just says error.

I am also using the Steam version 1.5 of SH4 - U-boat missions.
I've made sure to install the game on a separate drive and deleted everything in documents/SH4 prior and after mod activation.
SH4 1.5 runs fine without the mod.

Thanks and kind regards!
Swissup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 02:45 PM   #5121
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
I'm in a Balao out of Guam in late 1944. After last patrol, I purchased the available 5 inch deck gun upgrade that offers both a bow and a stern gun. I've done this in past careers and don't recall if I had (or even noticed) an issue with the gun crews. The bow gun has slot for 4 crew on the crew page. The stern gun only has slots for 3 crew. I've checked the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file and both guns reflect crew slots for 4. Hoping maybe PropBeanie has an idea of whether this is an issue or intended behavior for one gun to only have 3 crew members. If that is the case, I wonder why the file reflects 4 slots for both the bow and stern guns?
Never mind PB. I got it resolved. 4 crew members for both deck guns now.
Old 11-09-22, 09:45 PM   #5122
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissup View Post
Hello everybody!
I've made an account just for this mod

I'm having the exact same issue as Brooksie mentioned here above.
Same error message with the fog (which is now deactivated) and the game blackscreens the moment you'd appear in your submarine. Sometimes a small error message pops up after the blackscreen which just says error.

I am also using the Steam version 1.5 of SH4 - U-boat missions.
I've made sure to install the game on a separate drive and deleted everything in documents/SH4 prior and after mod activation.
SH4 1.5 runs fine without the mod.

Thanks and kind regards!
Be sure you are using the correct Steam start for the game. You want the U-Boat Missions start. Once the game loads, look at the menu, and if you do not have a choice for a German career, then you have the "plain" Wolves of the Pacific starting. FotRSU will not run in the older versions of SH4. Steam used to install the DirectX v9.0c files and codecs without prompting the player, but when I did a re-install of my Steam SH5 the other day, it did NOT do it automatically. Do not bypass that. The game needs the additional dll files of v9 to be able to run SH4. Also, look at Post #204 in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10 thread, and see if experimenting with the Properties of the SH4.exe helps. Navigate into the game folder, right-click the SH4.exe file, and then choose "Properties" from the bottom of the context menu. That will open the middle window you'll find in the image. Clicking on "Change high DPI settings" button gets you the top window. You want the "native" resolution of your display monitor set in Windows, which will show as " (recommended)" in the display resolution dialog. Set the game to that same resolution.

Quote:
Never mind PB. I got it resolved. 4 crew members for both deck guns now.
What did you find amiss with it?

Old 11-10-22, 08:02 AM   #5123
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Quote:
What did you find amiss with it?
Still not exactly sure what was off in the upc file I shared above. I looked over the Compartment 7 and 8 data numerous times and couldn't find any obvious reason the 4th crew member wasn't showing for aft gun in dual gun mode. The way I resolved it was to go back to my entering port save when I last returned from patrol with my existing single 5 inch bow gun. I then switched to single aft gun from single bow gun while in port and saved. At this point, the aft gun crew members showed the proper 4 positions in the crew page. I then purchased the dual deck guns again, but now with existing stern gun instead of bow gun as the starting point. The 4 aft crew member slots still showed properly, but no slots for additional bow gun. I saved again, opened the upc and removed all the additional repository comments from the entries for the bow gun crew in compartment 8, reloaded the saved game with the dual deck guns, and then all 8 crew slots for bow and stern guns appeared appropriately on the crew page. I started the next mission, manned up both 5 inch deck guns and both twin 40mm AA guns, everyone appeared where they should, and all was good. I printed out the current active player upc and will sit down when I have time and do a line by line comparison with the original (bad) upc posted above to see if I can find what's different between the 2 versions in sections 7 and 8. Will let you know.
Old 11-10-22, 09:05 AM   #5124
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Quote:
Still not exactly sure what was off in the upc file I shared above. I looked over the Compartment 7 and 8 data numerous times and couldn't find any obvious reason the 4th crew member wasn't showing for aft gun in dual gun mode. The way I resolved it was to go back to my entering port save when I last returned from patrol with my existing single 5 inch bow gun. I then switched to single aft gun from single bow gun while in port and saved. At this point, the aft gun crew members showed the proper 4 positions in the crew page. I then purchased the dual deck guns again, but now with existing stern gun instead of bow gun as the starting point. The 4 aft crew member slots still showed properly, but no slots for additional bow gun. I saved again, opened the upc and removed all the additional repository comments from the entries for the bow gun crew in compartment 8, reloaded the saved game with the dual deck guns, and then all 8 crew slots for bow and stern guns appeared appropriately on the crew page. I started the next mission, manned up both 5 inch deck guns and both twin 40mm AA guns, everyone appeared where they should, and all was good. I printed out the current active player upc and will sit down when I have time and do a line by line comparison with the original (bad) upc posted above to see if I can find what's different between the 2 versions in sections 7 and 8. Will let you know.
Can't find any obvious reason why the 4th crew slot didn't show on aft gun originally and now can't replicate it. Using same starting point as before (port arrival save upon mission completion), I again purchased dual deck guns to replace single bow gun and this time NO aft gun crew slots showed. Went into upc and removed additional repository entries for aft gun crews and they all then appeared as expected. No idea why just that 4th crew slot originally failed to show up.
Old 11-10-22, 09:20 AM   #5125
propbeanie

I also did not see any "AdditionalRepository" entry in your Compartment 7, which is the Aft gun. This is part of the problem with the game, in that you sometimes just never know when it will flip a couple of bits in the Save data that just messes with our heads, and you might never find the issue, since maybe it was a alloc / malloc problem. Who knows.

One thing we do know is that if a submarine came with an Aft gun, is that if you previously moved the gun forward to a bow mount, that anytime you go to do an "upgrade", it is a good idea to move the gun back to the aft mount before proceeding with an upgrade. You are also advised to remove the gun crew from ALL guns and place them back in their original locations, or in the Damage Control Team slots for "safe-keeping". It does not happen as often as it used to, but back when, you might lose the gun crew altogether somewhere in the digital etherworld of nowheresville. All of this was the idea behind placing reminder green circles around the sub ports, in that if you save outside that "busy" area when coming into port, you have something to fall back on. We should - forgiving the RAM-state of the grey matter at this end of the mod - have the circles around all potential home ports for the next release, and a combined User's Manual with a TOC and Index (we hope). That would have a section devoted to this issue and other frustrating aspects of the SH4 game.

Old 11-10-22, 02:08 PM   #5126
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Quote:
I also did not see any "AdditionalRepository" entry in your Compartment 7, which is the Aft gun. This is part of the problem with the game, in that you sometimes just never know when it will flip a couple of bits in the Save data that just messes with our heads, and you might never find the issue, since maybe it was a alloc / malloc problem. Who knows.

One thing we do know is that if a submarine came with an Aft gun, is that if you previously moved the gun forward to a bow mount, that anytime you go to do an "upgrade", it is a good idea to move the gun back to the aft mount before proceeding with an upgrade. You are also advised to remove the gun crew from ALL guns and place them back in their original locations, or in the Damage Control Team slots for "safe-keeping". It does not happen as often as it used to, but back when, you might lose the gun crew altogether somewhere in the digital etherworld of nowheresville. All of this was the idea behind placing reminder green circles around the sub ports, in that if you save outside that "busy" area when coming into port, you have something to fall back on. We should - forgiving the RAM-state of the grey matter at this end of the mod - have the circles around all potential home ports for the next release, and a combined User's Manual with a TOC and Index (we hope). That would have a section devoted to this issue and other frustrating aspects of the SH4 game.

Yeah. The original issue of the one missing crew member for the aft gun wasn't an "additionalrepository" issue. That was actually what I was expecting when I first looked in the file...to just find one of the crewman positions with additional repository text in it. Anyway, basically did what you said; I went back in time and swapped deck gun back to original aft position first, then purchased dual guns again. This time I got the guns, but only crew for one gun, but was able to quickly fix that through removal of additionalrepository from the crew positions in the second compartment. That I understood, and could resolve. Done it many times. However, the one completely missing crewman from my original post is still just a great mystery that Sherlock friggin' Holmes could probably never solve.
Old 11-12-22, 12:31 AM   #5127
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

I just noticed that there is no exhaust smoke in as much that the Balao is concerned. I don't know about the other classes. It's the case for both regular skin's and the 4k skin's. Did anyone notice this before?
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-22, 06:32 AM   #5128
teckel
Nub

Downloads: 7
Default Torrent option

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was a way to add a torrent option for FOTRSU. I am currently posted somewhere that has power supply issues and the traditional download is reset whenever the power goes out due to lost internet connection.

If not, I'll keep trying the traditional way. Thank you for your time in compiling this great mod.
teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-22, 10:27 AM   #5129
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I just noticed that there is no exhaust smoke in as much that the Balao is concerned. I don't know about the other classes. It's the case for both regular skin's and the 4k skin's. Did anyone notice this before?
Here is my Balao leaving Pearl Jan 1944, and the exhaust is fine while sitting at idle:

I have the interiors, NM, NK and a few other add-in mods in my mod set. What mods do you have loaded J0313?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckel View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering if there was a way to add a torrent option for FOTRSU. I am currently posted somewhere that has power supply issues and the traditional download is reset whenever the power goes out due to lost internet connection.

If not, I'll keep trying the traditional way. Thank you for your time in compiling this great mod.
At this point, we do not. I can build a split archive easily enough though, if that would help some. I'll PM you when we have it up. In the meantime, have you tried a download manager app teckel? Those are older apps, but some of those have a "restore" or streaming feature in them. I have not used one in quite a while, but perhaps someone else here has a recommendation?? If you go to download one, just be aware that AV scanners will flag some of them, and that some of their install apps will "piggyback" other apps, such as browser toolbars and such, along with an otherwise good app...

Old 11-12-22, 03:09 PM   #5130
teckel
Nub

Downloads: 7

Quote:

At this point, we do not. I can build a split archive easily enough though, if that would help some. I'll PM you when we have it up. In the meantime, have you tried a download manager app teckel? Those are older apps, but some of those have a "restore" or streaming feature in them. I have not used one in quite a while, but perhaps someone else here has a recommendation?? If you go to download one, just be aware that AV scanners will flag some of them, and that some of their install apps will "piggyback" other apps, such as browser toolbars and such, along with an otherwise good app...

Thank you, I would appreciate it. I haven't tried using a download manager, but the split archive would be helpful. I have fast internet, through the Subsim servers I get normally ~100 kb/s, which means the power goes out long before it's finished.

Thank you again.
teckel is offline   Reply With Quote