SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-22, 05:55 PM   #5071
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810
Uploads: 0

Default FotRs 1.8 DarkerNightsEnv_V2

Hey boss greetings...
already 6 days of patrol I had good weather bad weather... in bad weather the night is really deep... it will please BH it is on him who likes the night attack.. in normal weather.. . it depends on the moon... but I find it not bad .. but it is necessary to deepen I continue the tests ..
a screenshot of the beginning of the night under water Surabaya 4:00 p.m. 1942-01-14 night falls very well in this region in winter..Hi Beanie...
more soon..
extrait

Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-22, 10:16 PM   #5072
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

On the download page for this mod, should I download the big 1.8 ultimate file only ? Or is the various paks required ?

The "101_FotRSUv18_FixPak" file
Is that something that is to be installed after the 1.8 first link ?

I'm not english so as I'm reading the forum post about FOTRS I am lost and don't understand what to download.

What is Nippon Maru ? What are all those files with links below the FOTRS download link ?!

Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-22, 08:13 AM   #5073
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The only "required" file is the "100 Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v1.8" 7-zip file. Put that in a MODS folder with a fresh SH4 install, unzip it, and activate via JSGME. The "101 FotRSUv1.8 FixPak" edits a few files, but is NOT required. However, it is a small file, and does fix some over-sights missed with the v1.8 release.

The "AddInModzPak" is a set of add-in mods that change certain aspects of the game, as the user desires, such as harder AI response, or easier AI response, more flexible manual targeting, stock NavMap colors, or TMO-style targeting with "dots" on the NavMap instead of ship boxes and shapes, etc. NOT required to have.

Nippon Maru and Nihon Kaigun are add-in mods that are NOT required. The mods alter the Japanese ship naming nomenclature, such that a ship is identified as a "Nippon Maru" instead of the anglicized "plain" names, and with the Nihon Kaigun mod, each of the warship classes are split into separate ships, such as all four of the Furutaka class are identified individually, with period appropriate flagging, such as if an admiral used a specific ship as a flagship, you will see that flag flying from the yardarm. Neither of those mods has any "specific" traffic patterns, but that is planned for the future.

The "Fleetboat Interior - Officer's Quarters" mod combines the player's submarine interior files into one, and adds more sections forward that the player can then "walk" through, such as the officer's mess and bunk rooms. The S-Boat class has a full interior, including forward torpedo room, and the engine / motor rooms. Very cool stuff, but again, NOT required.

One of the original design criteria for the mod was for the player to be able to set things the way they want, as easy or difficult as they'd like, with as many bells and whistles as they'd like. It's not easy getting to that point, and we are definitely not finished. Be sure and notice that the first post in this thread, and the download page both have "Spoiler" tags that can be clicked, which will then display more instructions / information. The mod itself has quite a few pdf files in the Support and other sub-folders to help with install, activation and playing aspects with the mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-22, 09:03 AM   #5074
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Thanks.

Until now I've only played with the stock game.
Gonna try that mod

Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 01:34 PM   #5075
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82
Default Armed sampans

I encountered a sampan with guns.I assumed that because it opened fire on me.Does this WAD? Is this a new feature of the mod?

Also, realistic is having the ability to man the deck gun on stormy weather?If I'm not mistaken, in Silent Hunter 3, you couldn't use the deck gun in such conditions.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 02:12 PM   #5076
propbeanie

Yes, some sampan have no guns, some have a 50 cal machine guns, some have a 20mm cannon. This not new, but has been there all along. Do be careful around them. As for stormy weather, we did bump up the wind speed, but I do not recall the setting now... but yes, you can man the gun in some foul weather, but not the worst. This was due to the fact that even in 6ms winds, you could have a wave wash across the deck, and then you and the entire deck gun crew end up back inside the sub. We had an idea to include a "realistic gun weather" kind of mod to turn that up or down a pinch. As it stands, if you have a 40mm AA gun, that can be used rather effectively against a sampan also, so would be your go-to just-in-case solution...

Old 10-17-22, 08:53 PM   #5077
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Default Deck Crew Hats

My deck crews are wearing funny hats. Anyone else have this problem?
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 11:27 PM   #5078
propbeanie

Are you insinuating that official USN-issued clothing is "funny", mister?... - I am going to guess you are referring to the N3 caps some of the deck and interior crew are sporting, in addition to their canvas caps, officer's caps & helmets?

If there is a way found to "date" them, we will do it, because technically, they didn't show-up on submarines until mid 1943. Here's a little site for reference, http://www.usww2uniforms.com/USN_N3_Utility_Cap.html set to the N3 page. In the FotRSU modded game itself, you will see a couple of "loading" images of real life US submarines with crewmen wearing the N3 hats. Almost all of the gun crew people have the hats, unless you go to Battle Stations, and they will then don their USN issued combat helmets. Most of the watch crew will also wear them, but there are some that do like their canvas hats. The CPOs like their officer-style hats, so most of them keep those, while about half of the officers will wear the N3. The interior crew is variable, in that the game grabs what it wants of the "inventory", so you'll see a lot of hats one time, then the next, no hats whatsoever. You could also watch most any of the Silent Service TV series on ToobYu and see the hats, such as at 1:04 of this one, with "Bones" as the CO... lol

btw, pay no attention to the Spearfishes conn there in 1942... it's a double-cut MS32... kind of like SH4...

If you happen to be seeing a canvas hat shining through a helmet, or an N3, or any combination of hats, let me know what boat you have, where you sailed from, and what the date is please. I'm relatively certain we almost have the doubled hats stamped out... maybe.

Old 10-17-22, 11:57 PM   #5079
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Default Deck Crew Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Are you insinuating that official USN-issued clothing is "funny", mister?... - I am going to guess you are referring to the N3 caps some of the deck and interior crew are sporting, in addition to their canvas caps, officer's caps & helmets?

My deck officers all wear "Dixie cups" and not officer's barracks covers or a cap And, the canvas caps are so badly drawn, I thought they were missing the bitmap.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 10-18-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 08:37 AM   #5080
propbeanie

Interesting Michael Wood. Are you using v1.8 on a fresh install, having emptied the Save folder before running the modded game? Do you have a screen grab of your deck crew? Also, the date, where you are, where you sailed from, and the boat you are on. A list of your activated mods would help also. Did you happen to move any of the watch crew around? Unfortunately, with the way the game is, the hats and some clothing go with the positioning node on-deck in the game, and NOT with the character, so if you move an officer, and a regular crewman takes his place, the regular crewman will assume the hat and jacket the officer was wearing, while the officer will assume the hat and jacket of the position moved to. But it almost sounds like an issue with graphics. Do you have any issues with the interior characters, or are they drawn as in the image above? Thansk

Old 10-18-22, 09:47 AM   #5081
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
My God, Jim, (i mean PB), what the he[[ am I doing in that 20th century death trap?!?!?!?!
Did we go back in time, again?!?!?!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 11:47 AM   #5082
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Interesting Michael Wood. Are you using v1.8 on a fresh install, having emptied the Save folder before running the modded game? Do you have a screen grab of your deck crew? Also, the date, where you are, where you sailed from, and the boat you are on. A list of your activated mods would help also. Did you happen to move any of the watch crew around? Unfortunately, with the way the game is, the hats and some clothing go with the positioning node on-deck in the game, and NOT with the character, so if you move an officer, and a regular crewman takes his place, the regular crewman will assume the hat and jacket the officer was wearing, while the officer will assume the hat and jacket of the position moved to. But it almost sounds like an issue with graphics. Do you have any issues with the interior characters, or are they drawn as in the image above? Thansk
Did some testing. With fresh install of 1.8 and no other mods, after deleting SH4 folder, got the following results for deck crews:

"Single Missions" and "War Patrol" = first slot wears barracks cover.

Starting campaign with fleet boat, first slot wears N3 cap.

Starting campaign with S-Boat, first slot wears Dixie cup.

Do I need to reinstall 1.8 or have others found the same results?

Last edited by Michael Wood; 10-18-22 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-18-22, 03:47 PM   #5083
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
My God, Jim, (i mean PB), what the he[[ am I doing in that 20th century death trap?!?!?!?!
Did we go back in time, again?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
Did some testing. With fresh install of 1.8 and no other mods, after deleting SH4 folder, got the following results for deck crews:

"Single Missions" and "War Patrol" = first slot wears barracks cover.

Starting campaign with fleet boat, first slot wears N3 cap.

Starting campaign with S-Boat, first slot wears Dixie cup.

Do I need to reinstall 1.8 or have others found the same results?
You could try a re-install and emptying of the Save folder if your display is much different than the above images I posted, but If you are just noticing differences between boats, then yes, each boat is slightly different from the next, between each crew shift, and between the different conning towers on the boats sometimes (if you ever manage to coerce a new conning tower out of the game). The interior characters are controlled by the game, while the exterior guys are basically "set" by their slot position. btw, the various Graphic settings in the game can make a difference in the display. If you are using the "Post Process Filters", that adds more color saturation and "fuzz" to an image. The other options below that in that first column will further distort things, but make them "prettier", until you get to the "Volumetric Fog", which make things partially invisible and see-through. Try turning all of those off if you have any on. Likewise, if you have some off, turn them on (except the "Fog" thing - leave it off). Be certain that the "Vertical Sync" is off, else you run a strong risk of Jello water and other anomalies...

Use <Ctrl><F11> to grab a bmp screen shot in-game, and then make it a jpg. The screen grab bmp files are posted into the game's root folder. You could use Paint dot net to edit and then upload it (them) into your SubSim account UserCP "Pictures & Albums", and post a link in you next post, unless your images are similar to the examples I posted above.

Old 10-18-22, 07:34 PM   #5084
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Quote:

You could try a re-install and emptying of the Save folder if your display is much different than the above images I posted, but If you are just noticing differences between boats, then yes, each boat is slightly different from the next, between each crew shift, and between the different conning towers on the boats sometimes (if you ever manage to coerce a new conning tower out of the game). The interior characters are controlled by the game, while the exterior guys are basically "set" by their slot position. btw, the various Graphic settings in the game can make a difference in the display. If you are using the "Post Process Filters", that adds more color saturation and "fuzz" to an image. The other options below that in that first column will further distort things, but make them "prettier", until you get to the "Volumetric Fog", which make things partially invisible and see-through. Try turning all of those off if you have any on. Likewise, if you have some off, turn them on (except the "Fog" thing - leave it off). Be certain that the "Vertical Sync" is off, else you run a strong risk of Jello water and other anomalies...

Use <Ctrl><F11> to grab a bmp screen shot in-game, and then make it a jpg. The screen grab bmp files are posted into the game's root folder. You could use Paint dot net to edit and then upload it (them) into your SubSim account UserCP "Pictures & Albums", and post a link in you next post, unless your images are similar to the examples I posted above.
Deleted SH4 folder. Reinstalled game. Added FOTRS 1.8. Turned off all in left row of graphics options. Started campaign driving S-38 in Manila, December 1941.

Problem persisted. Slot one on deck crew still wears Dixie cup (white hat naval enlsted men wear), which is okay unless I put an officer in that slot.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 10-18-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-19-22, 09:27 AM   #5085
propbeanie

Unless your images are messed-up, that's the way the game functions for the deck crew. The deck crew slots themselves are assigned the binoculars, headphones, hats, etc., so if you move a crewmember, his "clothing" stays, and he assumes the "clothing" of the new position. The characters inside the boat use the game's "automatic" clothing scenario, but can still run afoul of the same issue if they occupy certain positions that take "specialty" clothing or gear, such as the radio, sonar and radar operators. Click on the "spoiler" tag to see some screen shots:

This is the Control Room. All of the hats (or lack thereof) are controlled by the game. The officers will have officer's hats or N3 caps, CPOs will have a CPO hat or N3 cap, enlisted will have the canvas or N3 hat. All of the above might NOT have a hat. It depends upon the "random" roll of the dice.

On the crew page, the "Deck Watch", "Deck Gun" and "Anti-Aircraft Gun" positions have the "set" clothing. This is due to their using binoculars and/or headsets, as well as the fact that the game (for whatever reason) does not put hats on the exterior people very often, as compared to the interior people. You might end up with one out of 19 (in the S18 case) having something on their heads. Almost all deck personnel should have a head covering... With the mod set like that, if you happen to move an officer into the "highlighted" slot here with PO3c Royal Hathaway, the officer would then don the canvas hat that the PO3c is wearing, as in

Each of those crew characters has a line in the submarine's conning tower config like
- "WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects= Binoclu_WCS, sapca_u#Head"
Which calls the "Utility" hat, or it might be "sapca_m#Head" for the canvas hat, "sapca_o#Head" for the officer's hat, or "sapca_cpo#Head" for the CPO's hat. You could go into the game's Save folder, the newest save slot, "ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc" file and edit the "Deck Watch 3rd Leader" line that has that "WatchAssessories..." line. Things get rather complicated fast in that file though, due to the wall of text you encounter... Each time you move someone in the deck crew, you might end up with this issue.

As time passes, the crew changes shift, so in this case, it advances to the first shift at 12N

So in this case, the 1st shift has an officer assigned, and he has his proper hat. The 2nd shift on the S-18 boat is similar to the 1st.

There really isn't much that can be done about this in SH4. The game has restrictions on what can and cannot be done. Some things we want to "date control" are not possible, and we have already found that the game will ignore most date restrictions we attempt to place on it, while at the same time, it restricts us very tightly...