SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-21, 06:01 PM   #3556
AviatorMan
Watch

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

So I've narrowed my issue to belonging only to Nippon Maru as uninstalling that fixed the issue. I'll give it a little more effort, but since NM is basically just a renaming mod as far as I can tell, I'm just leaning toward not using it.
AviatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 06:10 PM   #3557
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorMan View Post
So I've narrowed my issue to belonging only to Nippon Maru as uninstalling that fixed the issue. I'll give it a little more effort, but since NM is basically just a renaming mod as far as I can tell, I'm just leaning toward not using it.

The issue I believe, is NM clones ships. When I clone certain vessels in TMO, i get the black vessels as well. Texture does not display properly, not on all but some .
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 06:30 PM   #3558
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The issue I believe, is NM clones ships. When I clone certain vessels in TMO, i get the black vessels as well. Texture does not display properly, not on all but some .
That sounds exactly like what I'm seeing, most ships are fine, but this specific one is not. Were you ever able to find a fix for this?
Old 06-28-21, 08:19 PM   #3559
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds exactly like what I'm seeing, most ships are fine, but this specific one is not. Were you ever able to find a fix for this?
We'll try one more time... What date is it when you do not see a skin on the Heiyo Maru? There are 10 texture files listed for the ship. I did at least a dozen runs through several missions yesterday and a similar number the day before. All I saw were examples like this:

and

The first pik is December 1941, and there are two other Heiyo Marus out of the picture to the left, with "blue" hulls. I have several different shots there. I have video. I have pictures from June and December 1942. I have pictures from June and December 1943. I have pictures from June and December 1944 (the Razzle Dazzle above) and I have pictures from June 1945, all with various Razzle Dazzle schemes in various colors. I never did see the ship without a skin. I looked at them from a distance, as in the first shot and close, as in the 2nd. I shot torpedoes at them. I shot the deck gun at them. No hint of issue. This is NOT to say there might not be something wrong with the ship, but to say "there is something wrong with this ship" and then not tell us any more about it does not help. We need to know where you were and what date it was at a minimum. If you have a picture, even better. Next, my mod list for the above:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\NewFotRSUv14\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
399c_NoScrollNavMap - Same Sized Dials
801_UMark Smaller
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
CAG_Test
"CAG Test" is a set of test missions for an upcoming FotRSU release, and is just submarine related, nothing in the Sea nor Roster folders. You have four "sound" files at least, plus the radio mod. Make certain that is all that they do. You also have 3 mods at least that were not written for the FotRSU v1.x mods. Probably none of those are an issue, but... do you know that? Have you run just FotRSU and Nippon Maru? The Heiyo Maru points at the NPL_Hap, so if there is a trouble with the Heiyo Maru, there might also be issues seen on the Troopship Modern Class of other navies - depending upon which skin they use and the date. So if you can at least get us a date and location to trouble-shoot in more detail...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 08:47 PM   #3560
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29
Default Install Nightmares

Can anyone tell me - precisely - how to install SH4 from Steam, clean install, and then install this mod? I can't even get SH4 to run from Steam, clean. I get to the title move, click or space and get black screen. Reso issue? 3440 x 1440? Only one hard drive, so can't aim Steam at a non- Program Files location, so how do I just 'move' the game? Is there a link to a step-by-step? Didn't there used to be a .pdf somewhere? I just can't hit restart again. Its killing me.
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 09:34 PM   #3561
AviatorMan
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We'll try one more time... Snip

To begin with, this is the first anyone's asked me for more than some of the game settings and I'm happy to provide as much as you need to help sort this out.

Anyway, here's the where / where:

As of this time, this is the only convoy I know off of the top of my head when and where to intercept, but as you can see, this in just north of Saigon on the coast of Indochina on Dec 13th.

Here is what the ships look like:

And as you can see here, all 4 of the Heiyo Marus in this convoy have the same issue:

Finally this is with only FOTRSU 1.46 and Nippon Maru installed:
Code:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
I've removed all other mods for this process (and had already done so prior to this if you look at my previous post), so while yes, in my previous list I'd shown quite a few other mods, the pictures above were taken with only the two listed mods here. Additionally, I uninstalled them and deleted the contents of my saves folder prior to reinstalling them and starting a new career to intercept this convoy.

Anyway, if you need anything else from me to help sort this out (i.e. save files, other computer specs, etc) please let me know.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I do not get this behavior with only FOTRS installed. It only appears after adding NM.

EDIT2: Some potentially relevant information...

This is the system / settings I'm using:
-Windows 10 Pro
-I7-4770K
-32GB RAM
-GTX 2080S
-Game installed on an SSD
-SH4 version 1.5
-All graphical settings maxed

And finally, I was exploring the files in Nippon Maru for the Heiyo Maru and the config in the roster for it refers to TGA files instead of DDS files while all of the texture files I could find in the NP_HAP folder were DDS. I don't know if this is an issue at all as some games don't really care what the extension is as long as the name is right and the format is one the engine recognizes, but I thought I'd mention it just in case its relevant.

EDIT3: Final note... the images above were taken at extreme sonar range, but I did allow the the convoy to literally run me over (I was parked exactly in front of the easter column of the convoy) and sink me and the textures never resolved into anything other than what you see above.

Last edited by AviatorMan; 06-28-21 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 07:56 AM   #3562
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default textures black

Hello to you I have just followed the evolution of your file ... for my part I would lean more for a graphic adjustment ... do you have the HD enabled in the game? or other options it looks a lot like a graphical texture filtering problem I already had this type of problem a long time ago on another config !!! moreover the mod to play at the time was "Ral mods soup" by Ralf Blienter .. moreover to avoid using other mods not "FOTRS" probeanie the precise in these explanations of installation .. but it is still strange I have not these problems there ..! your config is very good .. so it should work !! I give my list again I do not know any problem for the moment elsewhere I will post screens of the boats soon.
it depends on the construction of the mod.
I don't see the point of checking the CR files; data Val Zon or other config .. TGA with photoshop .. with S3D moreover, be extremely careful with the values ​​of these files if you modify them !!! the problem is not here !!!
do not complicate life, this is already difficult ...
My
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN=1
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1=2
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.46_EN=3
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter=4
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod=5
Z01_Flaminus Add-on for FotRSU 1.46=6
Torpedo's No Red Gauges=7
452_MoonlightzSonarLines=8
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=9
DrJester's Environment Overhaul=10
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.46=11
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_FOTR SU=12
Periscope Wake Splash for FOTRSU 1.46=13
Enhanced Sounds for SH4=14
801_UMark Invisible=15
Speech_Overhaul=16
SH4_original_4k_light_gray_less_rust=17
HI RES RED FIN BALAO=18

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-29-21 at 08:11 AM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 08:39 AM   #3563
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hello to you I have just followed the evolution of your file ... for my part I would lean more for a graphic adjustment ... do you have the HD enabled in the game? or other options it looks a lot like a graphical texture filtering problem I already had this type of problem a long time ago on another config !!! moreover the mod to play at the time was "Ral mods soup" by Ralf Blienter .. moreover to avoid using other mods not "FOTRS" probeanie the precise in these explanations of installation .. but it is still strange I have not these problems there ..! your config is very good .. so it should work !! I give my list again I do not know any problem for the moment elsewhere I will post screens of the boats soon.
it depends on the construction of the mod.
I don't see the point of checking the CR files; data Val Zon or other config .. TGA with photoshop .. with S3D moreover, be extremely careful with the values ​​of these files if you modify them !!! the problem is not here !!!
do not complicate life, this is already difficult ...
My
[MODS]
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN=1
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1=2
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.46_EN=3
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter=4
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod=5
Z01_Flaminus Add-on for FotRSU 1.46=6
Torpedo's No Red Gauges=7
452_MoonlightzSonarLines=8
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=9
DrJester's Environment Overhaul=10
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.46=11
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_FOTR SU=12
Periscope Wake Splash for FOTRSU 1.46=13
Enhanced Sounds for SH4=14
801_UMark Invisible=15
Speech_Overhaul=16
SH4_original_4k_light_gray_less_rust=17
HI RES RED FIN BALAO=18

now I will try to find this "Heiyo Marius"
Old 06-29-21, 08:41 AM   #3564
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnzrldr View Post
Can anyone tell me - precisely - how to install SH4 from Steam, clean install, and then install this mod? I can't even get SH4 to run from Steam, clean. I get to the title move, click or space and get black screen. Reso issue? 3440 x 1440? Only one hard drive, so can't aim Steam at a non- Program Files location, so how do I just 'move' the game? Is there a link to a step-by-step? Didn't there used to be a .pdf somewhere? I just can't hit restart again. Its killing me.
One of the "requirements" for modding SH4, and it applies to all mega-mods, and goodly portion of even the simple mods, is that the game cannot be in a "Program Files" folder, even if it is under the Steam folder there. Hopefully, you do not have a lot of Steam games, because with just the one hard drive, you cannot create additional Steam Library folders on your C: drive. What you will have to do is re-install Steam, and when you do that, put it in a folder other than Program Files. When I installed Steam on my computer here, I took the Install Path of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam..." and changed it to "C:\Games \Steam...", which then installs Silent Hunter below that. Steam will still use "Program Files (x86)" for most of its "Steam" app files, but the Library is now in "Games\Steam", and Windows will no longer interfere with modding attempts. For more, you can read the Steam Knowledge Base article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". Even with just one game though, it is still a painfully slow process.

That said though, the Stock Steam game not starting is telling you something also, in that your computer's "high" resolution display and Windows (again) are interfering with the "old" DirectX v9.0c game Silent Hunter. You will most likely still need to set the Properties on the SH4.exe file after you move the Steam Library. You do that by going into the game folder (ie: "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...") and right-click the "Sh4.exe" file, which will bring up a context menu. Choose "Properties" at the bottom of that list, and then click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top, which will take you to the "back" portion of the image:

The little window popped-out in front of the "Properties" tab there is from clicking on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the Properties "Compatibility" page. You might have to use both the "Program DPI" and "High DPI scaling override" sections on that page, in addition to what is shown on the Properties page itself. You will have to experiment with those settings.

Quote:
To begin with, this is the first anyone's asked me for more than some of the game settings and I'm happy to provide as much as you need to help sort this out.

Anyway, here's the where / where:
[pic]
As of this time, this is the only convoy I know off of the top of my head when and where to intercept, but as you can see, this in just north of Saigon on the coast of Indochina on Dec 13th.

Here is what the ships look like:
[pic]

And as you can see here, all 4 of the Heiyo Marus in this convoy have the same issue:
[pic]

Finally this is with only FOTRSU 1.46 and Nippon Maru installed...

I've removed all other mods for this process (and had already done so prior to this if you look at my previous post), so while yes, in my previous list I'd shown quite a few other mods, the pictures above were taken with only the two listed mods here. Additionally, I uninstalled them and deleted the contents of my saves folder prior to reinstalling them and starting a new career to intercept this convoy.

Anyway, if you need anything else from me to help sort this out (i.e. save files, other computer specs, etc) please let me know.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I do not get this behavior with only FOTRS installed. It only appears after adding NM.

EDIT2: Some potentially relevant information...

This is the system / settings I'm using:
-Windows 10 Pro
-I7-4770K
-32GB RAM
-GTX 2080S
-Game installed on an SSD
-SH4 version 1.5
-All graphical settings maxed

And finally, I was exploring the files in Nippon Maru for the Heiyo Maru and the config in the roster for it refers to TGA files instead of DDS files while all of the texture files I could find in the NP_HAP folder were DDS. I don't know if this is an issue at all as some games don't really care what the extension is as long as the name is right and the format is one the engine recognizes, but I thought I'd mention it just in case its relevant.

EDIT3: Final note... the images above were taken at extreme sonar range, but I did allow the the convoy to literally run me over (I was parked exactly in front of the easter column of the convoy) and sink me and the textures never resolved into anything other than what you see above.
Thank you for the additional information, and the pictures. That helps immensely. The file extensions do not matter, other than they do have to be either tga for SH3 and dds for SH4, but as you mention, the extension "names" are not actually necessary. After looking at a few more things, I'll do some specific testing this morning, and might be able to post something for you to try later today.

Old 06-29-21, 09:44 AM   #3565
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Default Heiyo Maru

just went to the museum first, this is what we see there

now could you tell me campaign? or mission? but it seems to me that you are in the countryside, right?
Old 06-29-21, 02:42 PM   #3566
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Default patience

Well, I decided to give you a boost so fresh install .. we start here by adjusting our graphics card ... to do this we open our "Nvidia panel" see screens

You may have additional options but I doubt it because your card is close to mine 1080 gtx...
now we install "nvidiaInspector"
"https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html"
then we install our game example: (D: \ Sh4 \ Sh4FORTS)
We adjust our screen

I would not come back to the comments of probeanie or Mad Mardigan who we contribute to the efforts here (see their posts on the subject which is very well developed)
We install the FoRtS mods in our game .. neither will I come back to the explanations provided which "abounds" on the forum .. which only asks to be read .... eh ... is not it? ..
once the said mods install we will in JSGME activate the main mod 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46_EN Nothing else I insist ...
Now we will create a profile on inspector see screen

here the profile is to create the red dashes indicates to you where are the particular parameters ... not to be taken lightly ...

once all these adjustments are made we adjust the graphic parameters in the game

Ditto here ... be careful with these parameters which are often the cause of problems ...

are we finally installing my mod list if you want
I wish you good luck KM_U669
Old 06-29-21, 03:01 PM   #3567
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Odd Start to a Sargo career

has anyone experienced this type of start with a Sargo?
Running 1.46 Preview with the Fix and Nippon Maru 1.2.1.
i would have pasted the JsGME config but SH4 is still in use on my other system.

Started a Sargo career out of Brisbane, Mid-1944.
before shoving off, we transferred to Manus Island.
also before shoving off, i noticed that we had only two stern torpedo tubes, which is different from the previous version of 1.46, but i figured someone did some research and made a change so i just went with it.
on the way to the patrol station, i inspected the stern torpedo room and to my surprise i found four tubes and two of them had German torpedoes. silver/gray engine with light blue warhead. no description given.

anyone else experience this phenomenon?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 03:59 PM   #3568
propbeanie

In relation to AviatorMan's report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... Thank you for the additional information, and the pictures. That helps immensely. The file extensions do not matter, other than they do have to be either tga for SH3 and dds for SH4, but as you mention, the extension "names" are not actually necessary. After looking at a few more things, I'll do some specific testing this morning, and might be able to post something for you to try later today.
... there is the possibility of the Heiyo Maru slipping through the "date" net of the game, wherein the ship is "active" on the Roster 19390516, yet the game can and does grab the date of 19380101 for the ship configuration date (in spite of the mod start date of 19411207) - at least, that's what we are thinking is happening... Anyway, there are no skins dated that early, so for an attempted "fix", you all can try to put this on top of either v1.46 FotRSU and Nippon Maru, or the Preview and Nippon Maru:

HeiyoMaruQF.7z

It will not harm FotRSU by itself, other than there is a Roster file for a non-existent ship, which will throw errors - so Nippon Maru users only... I never did get what AviatorMan did, but there are also no ill effects from using that "QuickFix" above. Just make certain you put it on top of Nippon Maru. We will have a more extensive set of edits for s7rikeback for the next release of Nippon Maru. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH THIS, let propbeanie know, do NOT bother s7rikeback. He is busy with other tasks, and propbeanie is the person who did the "Quick Fix"... Let me know how it goes...

Now, Kal_Maximus_U669's tuning of the nVidia video card can really improve things in the game. If a person takes the time to adjust the settings, they can get pictures and in-game display like he has there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i would have pasted the JsGME config but SH4 is still in use on my other system.

also before shoving off, i noticed that we had only two stern torpedo tubes, which is different from the previous version of 1.46, but i figured someone did some research and made a change so i just went with it.
on the way to the patrol station, i inspected the stern torpedo room and to my surprise i found four tubes and two of them had German torpedoes. silver/gray engine with light blue warhead. no description given.

I have not seen that, but I do not remember attempting a set of circumstances like you have, so I will head there next...

Old 06-29-21, 04:00 PM   #3569
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:

KM...

As it goes.. I have the preview set up (with a few other bells & whistles than AviatorMan, but.. know that they are slated for use with FotRS) &... I am skippering a Sargo class boat (USS Sargo, to be more precise... )

I started off on the career I am in with it, a lot earlier on than you... & can't categorically say that I had any issues with being informed of only having 2 aft tubes.

I will on reload of the last save, take a gander at the torp info screen & see if there are any odd ball torps showing up in the stock pile or in the tubes on reload. Not that I am sure that any will indeed be there... on the basis of the different time starts for careers as there is with yours & Mine... but... I shall endeavor to check, none the less.

I may, even go so far.. as to set up a career run using the basic info set of what you are with, in terms of a career.. to see if I can replicate the end results you are now seeing.

I shall report back on what findings I can come up with, on either being able to replicate the end results... or failing to do so.. either way, I shall report back, a.s.a.p.

M. M.

Old 06-29-21, 04:28 PM   #3570
propbeanie

Quote:

Apparently, this has been going on a while... I cannot find (yet) where the configuration went wrong... There is an issue with the Sargo AFTER the January 1944 start - which is the part I don't understand... Be back in a while - maybe... lol

Edit: I think I found it KM... In the NSS_Sargo.upc file, under "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 1.WeaponSlot 1" (Torpedo 5) you will find a line "IDLinkWeaponIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1944-02-28, TorpedoTube21inUS, Mk14Torpedo" and the line below it is "IDLinkWeaponIntervalDefault1= 1944-03-01, NULL, TorpedoTube21inUS, Mk18Torpedo" change that second line to "IDLinkWeaponIntervalDefault2= 1944-03-01, NULL, TorpedoTube21inUS, Mk18Torpedo" and do the same thing for WeaponSlot 2, which is Torpedo 6... You will probably have to populate your Save data with that also. That is a "new" phenomenon... That will be in the final release.

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-29-21 at 04:42 PM. Reason: The "fix" is in...