SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-24, 08:14 AM   #1
Plumber1
Seaman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Onealex CTD on first mission start

Hi all,

As the title suggests I am struggling to get GWXOnealex (1.53) to run. All appears correct until I hit "start" on career mission 1. It constantly CTD's after about 10 seconds of the red loading bar finishing (which incidentally seems to be happening very fast - less than 5 seconds to complete the mission loading!). I am on a new build Win10 and have followed the instructions in the readme and the YouTube video by Abulia.

The game is located in a separate SSD to the OS but is outside of the Steam folder (I have the game in steam but don't have it downloaded to my PC).

I have no mods enabled at all and, after this kept happening I downloaded the 4Gb patch and ran it on the SH3.exe (even though I believe Onealex has already incorporated this into his mod) but still no luck.

I get no error messages at all, just back to the desktop.

System details are:
AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
Radeon RX 6500 XT
2x 16Gb DDR4 3600MHz

I have Norton AV but have excluded the SH3 folder from scans and from auto protect, script control, behavioural protection and download intelligence protection.

Please help.

p.s.
I don't understand why, when I was running SH3 (GWX Gold) on a previous Win7 PC I had to do it in XP (SP3) compatibility mode, but now I'm running Win 10 I have to run this in Win7 compatibility?
Old 02-04-24, 12:22 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

plumber1!...back on the surface after 5 years' 'silent running'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-24, 05:04 PM   #3
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

hey Plumber1 greetings.. welcome to Subsim
Did you keep the mod zip file? if yes you delete sh3.exe from your installation..
then you go to your anti virus you deactivate it... then you go to your download mod zip.. you extract it again in your install..do not activate your antivirus when you play otherwise it will will detect again..
you don't need to patch 4go it's already there..read the doc thank you
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-24, 06:37 AM   #4
Plumber1
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
hey Plumber1 greetings.. welcome to Subsim
Did you keep the mod zip file? if yes you delete sh3.exe from your installation..
then you go to your anti virus you deactivate it... then you go to your download mod zip.. you extract it again in your install..do not activate your antivirus when you play otherwise it will will detect again..
you don't need to patch 4go it's already there..read the doc thank you
Thanks mate. I've just tried your advise but the same thing is happening all the time. Unfortunately Norton, it seems, can't just be turned on or off. I've turned off all the selectable options in it. I haven't repatched to 4Gb this time (I was pretty sure it was incorporated but it was just something else to try before coming here).

Is it something to do with the graphics card settings maybe?

For me the fact that the red loading bar takes less than 5 seconds to fully load is a massive indication that something fundamental in the game structure is wrong. Having played GWXGold on a previous Win7 build I remember it taking almost a minute to fully load the missions.

Last edited by Plumber1; 02-05-24 at 06:49 AM.
Plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-24, 08:06 AM   #5
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber1 View Post
Thanks mate. I've just tried your advise but the same thing is happening all the time. Unfortunately Norton, it seems, can't just be turned on or off. I've turned off all the selectable options in it. I haven't repatched to 4Gb this time (I was pretty sure it was incorporated but it was just something else to try before coming here).

Is it something to do with the graphics card settings maybe?

For me the fact that the red loading bar takes less than 5 seconds to fully load is a massive indication that something fundamental in the game structure is wrong. Having played GWXGold on a previous Win7 build I remember it taking almost a minute to fully load the missions.
Hey Plumber1
your graphics card is very good for this game..
try redownloading the mod..
do not install it in C program file x86...
Example of install D:\Sh3\SilentHunterIIIOneAlex
put the parameters of your exe like this

Check in the properties of your Sh3 exe 1.32 MB (1 384 448 octets)

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 02-05-24 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-06-24, 07:27 AM   #6
Plumber1
Seaman

Thanks Kal_Maximus_U669 for the help so-far. The sh3 folder is already in a separate drive to the OS and all 3 exe's are set to Win7 compatibility and are run as admin.

After reading some earlier threads I set the high DPI settings as you have them already.

It is doing something different now though; after getting bored I played a training mission and on exiting that I had another go at starting a career game and this time the red loading bar was noticeably slower, only got to about 3/4 full before CTD.

Still a CTD but this feels like progress.
Old 02-06-24, 11:37 AM   #7
Plumber1
Seaman

Success!

Completely removed all traces of SH3 including the save folder in my documents and downloaded another copy of the mod from discord here: https://discord.com/channels/9071959...82655043706930

Turned off as much of Norton as possible and unzipped to the same drive I had it it before and followed the set-up instructions again and this time it worked!

I can only assume the first copy of the mod I downloaded (not from OneAlex's discord) was corrupted.

Thanks again Kal_Maximus_U669 for taking the time to try and help, much appreciated.
Old 02-08-24, 07:59 AM   #8
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber1 View Post
Success!

Completely removed all traces of SH3 including the save folder in my documents and downloaded another copy of the mod from discord here: https://discord.com/channels/9071959...82655043706930

Turned off as much of Norton as possible and unzipped to the same drive I had it it before and followed the set-up instructions again and this time it worked!

I can only assume the first copy of the mod I downloaded (not from OneAlex's discord) was corrupted.

Thanks again Kal_Maximus_U669 for taking the time to try and help, much appreciated.
Sorry but I took a little time...
I knew it from the beginning about the anti virus... Something that I didn't understand you told me you couldn't deactivate it completely... Personally I don't use anti virus I find that it slows down the system unnecessarily... good firewall and window defender, adjust its very well...
Yes for that and help it seems to me that I helped you..lol..I didn't try to help you that we agree.
I'm delighted that you can finally play and wish you lots of fun.uais: