SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-17, 02:06 PM   #1
AndyLorentz
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default For the love of all that is holy, can we get time to stop in port?

I've never served in the Navy or on submarines. But I'm pretty sure that by the time the sub docks, the sub commander should be aware enough to order needed repairs and rearming without many hours passing.

Today I was in port with damaged propulsion (16 hour repair, I believe), and I wanted to unload 2 Harpoons (1 hour), and load 8 TASMs (8 hours), 3 MOSS (0.75hr), and 10 Mk 48 (2.5hr). That should have taken 28.25 hours. It took me over 100 hours due to the delay of moving the mouse cursor and clicking the right things.

It simply doesn't make sense to have time pass in port other than what is ordered. And I'd be fine if port ran in real time. If it takes me 10 minutes to decide what my loadout should be, then I lose 10 minutes. Instead, I spend seconds and lose many hours.

If there was some benefit to crew performance for resting extra time, that would at least justify the increased time, but as it stands, I see literally no reason for passing idle time in port.
AndyLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 03:20 PM   #2
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

You can simply edit the config file and set the times you want.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 03:22 PM   #3
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Or they can simply stop the clock and then you can queue up all the work you want done and then when you click apply, it advance the clock. Should be really simple.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 04:11 PM   #4
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
Or they can simply stop the clock and then you can queue up all the work you want done and then when you click apply, it advance the clock. Should be really simple.
Amen to that.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 04:55 PM   #5
AndyLorentz
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardDriver View Post
You can simply edit the config file and set the times you want.
I don't have a problem with the repair or rearming times. I have a problem with the clock running in port when I'm not doing anything. If I can edit that from the config files, I totally will.

Edit: To add to this, when first sitting in port after starting the campaign, no time passes. Why does time pass when returning to port later?

Edit2: I just noticed, unloading Harpoons causes 1 hour to pass, when the display shows 30 mins, and loading TASMs causes 2 hours when the display shows 1.
Old 06-24-17, 05:52 PM   #6
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Seems to be some bug with the times there.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 06:03 PM   #7
AndyLorentz
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Seems to be some bug with the times there.
That's helpful. But is it a bug that time passes as soon as one enters port? For example, I got the SEAL team mission. Headed back to Holy Loch, and between the time I entered port, and the time I (as quickly as I'm capable of) clicked on the repair and rearm, 30 hours have passed. After emptying my magazine to fit the SEALs, 55 hours have passed. I'm totally fine with taking 25 hours to unload my existing gear and loading the SEAL team, but my concern is that even when I know exactly what I want to do, a lot of time passes before I can even make the commands.

Edit: Heck, I'd be happy if there was a "crew fatigue" effect, where spending an extra 16 hours in port or something would improve TMA and detection, and that would degrade the longer one spent away from port. That's probably a lot of extra programming, though.
Old 06-24-17, 06:14 PM   #8
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

There seems to be a problem where even unloading the torpedoes takes 1h each instead of 15 minutes. Loading SEALS seems to take 4h instead of 120 minutes, and so on. So something is not working correctly.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 06:37 PM   #9
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Port activities are modified according to difficulty level, so something that takes 15 mins in casual will take longer depend what difficulty level you're running at.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 11:15 PM   #10
cj95
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141

I'm not navy, but doesn't torpedo loading take much longer irl ? More than a mere 15 minutes per torpedo?

>> USS TEXAS BB-35 Restoration CrewMember <<
cj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-17, 12:20 AM   #11
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Yes! Pubs for the crew!
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-17, 12:59 AM   #12
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Time stops when you enter port.
There is a base time penalty for entering port (for navigation and berthing etc).
If your hull is damaged, it will be auto-repaired and the time required is based on how much damage.
Repairing a subsystem takes the time indicated.
Loading and unloading weapons, Spec Ops also take time.
Note that loading Spec Ops also incurs a time penalty for unloading any other ordnance on board.

There should be no need to rush while in the port. You can read orders, set up tube loadouts and settings. Aside from the enter port and hull repair times (which are automatic), time will not progress unless you perform an action requiring time.

I just verified that the times for loading weapons are working as intended. However the display times by each weapon are not taking into account the difficulty level which is a bug to be fixed.
Old 06-26-17, 05:50 PM   #13
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
I'm not navy, but doesn't torpedo loading take much longer irl ? More than a mere 15 minutes per torpedo?
In real life, it takes a couple of hours to setup the weapon handling system.
If your weapons department is very good, 15min per weapon is about as fast as you can load. Normally (peace time) about an hour per weapon.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:11 AM   #14
Nangleator
Mate

Downloads: 4

I have a suggestion. You know all those missions where you have to attack Soviet resupply ships? How about NATO resupply ships? You have friendly fleets you can visit for a limited amount of re-arming and repair, far better positioned than Scotland.

And that opens up new missions where you have to defend these locations. Fail, and you've lost the resupply point, and will have to return to Holy Loch each time, until a new tender is sent.
Nangleator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 12:14 PM   #15
pakfront
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
Time stops when you enter port.
I'm not sure this is always true. I also just had an incident where the clock was running while I was in port for a reload. I also spent over 100hours just reloading torpedoes!

If it comes up again I will report it as a bug.
pakfront is offline   Reply With Quote