SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-14, 06:09 PM   #1141
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Testing the U-51 boat in the English Channel, in a variety of sea conditions. I've added leather jackets (in different states of cleanliness) as an option for crew clothing. As usual, this is a work in progress, with simpler parts of the boat being updated & improved.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 06:56 PM   #1142
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Looks great

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 06:17 AM   #1143
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 10:45 PM   #1144
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Fantastic work as usual! I've been on a big WWI history kick over the past couple of months, so I'm excited for this more than ever

Also, Option 2 is my favourite of the bunch - a well-worn, clean desk is exactly the kind of place to make important decisions about your crew!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 11:18 PM   #1145
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the comments and feedback! The crew page screen will probably be #2, with some modifications.

Be aware that the U-51 Class, despite being larger than a WWII Type VII, only has eight torpedoes and two tubes each in the bow and stern for a total of four - this means racking up tonnage will be tough. Plus, dud rates for the early torpedoes were very high (over 50%) - Weddigen was extremely lucky to be able to sink "Aboukir", "Cressy", and "Hogue" with just one miss.

The deck gun will be adjusted to be like NYGM for Silent Hunter III, where many dozens of rounds are needed to sink ships. No 10-15 hit kills, unless you are shelling something like a small sailing ship.

I imagine some people will like the challenge, while others will be eager to get promoted to the U-87 or U-93 Class boats, which had 12-16 torpedoes and four bow tubes.

Of course, I could provide you with an alternate way to sink ships, aside from the torpedoes and deck gun (wink! wink!) Stay tuned for more screenshots very soon.
Old 10-14-14, 11:56 PM   #1146
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
The deck gun will be adjusted to be like NYGM for Silent Hunter III, where many dozens of rounds are needed to sink ships. No 10-15 hit kills, unless you are shelling something like a small sailing ship.
You sure about that? From what I've read most of the top scoring U-Boat aces during WW1 only used the deck gun and needing something like 36+ shells to sink a ship seems excessive. For example Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière who sank the most tonnage of any U-Boat commander in either war with 453,716 tons sunk only used his torps 74 times and hit on 39 of them.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 12:09 AM   #1147
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
You sure about that? From what I've read most of the top scoring U-Boat aces during WW1 only used the deck gun and needing something like 36+ shells to sink a ship seems excessive. For example Lothar von Arnauld de la Perière who sank the most tonnage of any U-Boat commander in either war with 453,716 tons sunk only used his torps 74 times and hit on 39 of them.
Capt. de la Periere was a unique case, because he had a master gunnery officer on board who was freakishly accurate, and could sink smaller ships with about 2 shells. Also, he once loaded about 1000 shells for his sub. From what I've read this would not have been typical of most U-Boats. Typically, they would have had no more than a few hundred shells on board, plus deck officers with average marksmanship.

I guess I should clarify that larger merchants will take dozens of shells (especially if you are on one of the old, kerosene-powered U-Boats with only a 50mm gun). In WOTK there will be lots of smaller vessels like coasters, sailing ships, and trawlers that are less than 2500 tons - these can definitely be sunk with a few shells.
Old 10-15-14, 12:59 AM   #1148
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Capt. de la Periere was a unique case, because he had a master gunnery officer on board who was freakishly accurate, and could sink smaller ships with about 2 shells. Also, he once loaded about 1000 shells for his sub. From what I've read this would not have been typical of most U-Boats. Typically, they would have had no more than a few hundred shells on board, plus deck officers with average marksmanship.
Really? I'm guessing he sacrificed a lot of torps to take that load on board. Will you make a "Take extra shells" loadout option for those who don't like to waste torps on larger merchants especially early in the war?
Old 10-15-14, 09:26 AM   #1149
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

One of the problems I see is that a large number of ships were sunk using neither torpedoes or the deck gun, but scuttling charges, something which is not possible in the game. Not having that ability and having the gun and torpedo limited to historical parameters will leave the player without the prime weapon he needs to accurately play the game.
Old 10-15-14, 10:20 AM   #1150
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
One of the problems I see is that a large number of ships were sunk using neither torpedoes or the deck gun, but scuttling charges, something which is not possible in the game. Not having that ability and having the gun and torpedo limited to historical parameters will leave the player without the prime weapon he needs to accurately play the game.
Well considering IABL has figured out a way to implement prize rules to the point you can get punished for not following them he might be able to figure out a way to do that. Still if he can't giving people a 1000+ shells as a substitute(or at least an option for it) would be nice.
Old 10-15-14, 05:29 PM   #1151
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Sorry to disagree with you Sailor Steve but your criticism of the mod as it is developing is unwarrented and We like to be supportive here for this amazing effort. He is achieving miracles with this development and I applaud his dedication and ingenuity. If you wish to make your own mod you can certainly focus on that detail you mention but frankly history does not always allow us to re create it in total with any sim esp an older one like this. this is truly an amazing achiievement here, and worthy of support and praise and not criticism.

As for Capt. de la Periere, he was loved and somewhat hated by his own crews as he crammed in shells wherever there was any conceivable space, including the usual storage for food, which was packed UNDER or behind the shells requiring the crew to be on meager rations until those shells were epxended. He managed to take aboard far more ordinance than anyone else, and indeed it was frowned upon by the Command ashore and he actually had to use subterfuge for they started inspecting his boat before departure as they knew what he was up to.

He was truly a marvel and not only a great gunnery officer but a fantastic seaman and true sailor man as well. I am glad to see you have reserached with the depth of your experience Iam....and am so impressed with all you are achieving.

I am wondering if someday we may see Zepplins over the lfeet ...sigh i loved those big ships of the sky but they were not a major factor of the war ....tho they were used often with the High Seas Fleet when it was at sea.

thanks so much for this amazing effort, truly one of the uniquely successful major mods I have ever seen. Well done!
Old 10-15-14, 06:19 PM   #1152
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Sorry to disagree with you Sailor Steve but your criticism of the mod as it is developing is unwarrented and We like to be supportive here for this amazing effort. He is achieving miracles with this development and I applaud his dedication and ingenuity. If you wish to make your own mod you can certainly focus on that detail you mention but frankly history does not always allow us to re create it in total with any sim esp an older one like this. this is truly an amazing achiievement here, and worthy of support and praise and not criticism.

As for Capt. de la Periere, he was loved and somewhat hated by his own crews as he crammed in shells wherever there was any conceivable space, including the usual storage for food, which was packed UNDER or behind the shells requiring the crew to be on meager rations until those shells were epxended. He managed to take aboard far more ordinance than anyone else, and indeed it was frowned upon by the Command ashore and he actually had to use subterfuge for they started inspecting his boat before departure as they knew what he was up to.

He was truly a marvel and not only a great gunnery officer but a fantastic seaman and true sailor man as well. I am glad to see you have reserached with the depth of your experience Iam....and am so impressed with all you are achieving.

I am wondering if someday we may see Zepplins over the lfeet ...sigh i loved those big ships of the sky but they were not a major factor of the war ....tho they were used often with the High Seas Fleet when it was at sea.

thanks so much for this amazing effort, truly one of the uniquely successful major mods I have ever seen. Well done!
Thanks for your comments Admiral and good to see you posting here again! Although FYI I'm not offended by Sailor Steve - we're buds and we've corresponded before; he's definitely not trying to be a downer.

Now, speaking of explosive charges ... let's just say I recommend you guys keep watching this thread! More screenshots to come very soon. Thanks to S3ditor I may have some tricks up my sleeve...

I don't know if I want to include a 1000 shell loadout option because it was so exceptional, as you have pointed out. When I read about this I assumed the boat must have been extremely cramped and uncomfortable - your comments confirm it! Thanks for the insights. If I do include this loadout it will require a lot of renown points.

For players who want to sink a lot of ships I can goof with the deck gun values, torpedo explosive power, and torpedo dud rates - creating a "noob friendly" variant of WOTK: 1914-1918 would take no time at all, with the modding tools we have these days.

I found out that some of the Kaiserliche Marine diesel boats that originally had just 6 torpedoes were modified to carry 10 torpedoes or more as the war went on; this will be implemented with entirely new submarine classes as a work-around. For instance, there will be "Early U-31 Class" (6 torpedoes) and "Late U-31 Class (10 torpedoes)", etc to represent these submarines after the offensive loadout was improved with refits.
Old 10-19-14, 07:46 PM   #1153
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586
Default I'm excited!!!!

Finally, a ww1 mod for SH i can't wait for this mod, it sounds awesome! Btw I may be able to provide some historical information. I have the book called, hitler's u boat war by Clay Blair and there's a chapter in the prologue about u boats in WW1.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 08:49 PM   #1154
avers
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 586

Wow, seeing that the 1st post was posted in 2009 and this mod is still
Being worked on, I'm expecting some cool stuff.
avers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 08:02 PM   #1155
Lindley
Medic

Downloads: 377

One of the best books on WW1 Submarine warfare:

Raiders of the Deep by Lowell Thomas.
He also wrote Count Luckner:The Sea Devil.

I highly recommend both books.