SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-10, 07:23 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default old habits die hard...

Very used to US TDC, German TDC is a bit confusing.Any advice?

Also, used to great sounds for PTO with EAX sound sim, anything like this for OM? Even with OM and OMEGU, the sounds such as the deck gun are very stock like and boring.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 09:12 PM   #2
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Very used to US TDC, German TDC is a bit confusing.Any advice?
Actually, the SH implentation of the German TDC is easier then the US one in terms of salvo shooting. Where it might be harder is if you had a fondness with the Position keeper - something which the german TDC lacked.

A few of the dials on the german TDC you can ignore, they deal entirely with pattern running torpedo's. Otherwise, its nearly the same.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 04:37 AM   #3
U-Falke
Gunner

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0

Yes. On american TDC´s, you turn on th PK when the target is passing by the vertical line and can shoot moments later. When you shoot, don´t have to worry with the bearing of the periscope since TDC is on. Dont have to set a new range nor AOB if you intend to shoot moments later.
The gernam TDC requires you to set a new range before shooting (increases precision) and not the AOB. Also, if you change the bearing of th scope, the fish will go that way. So if you change the scpope from the aft to the target´bow, the bow will be hit. On the american TDC you will have to use an specific switch to change the path 1-3 degrees to port or starport. If not, the aft will be hit even if you change the scope´s position.
U-Falke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 04:04 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Falke View Post
Yes. On american TDC´s, you turn on th PK when the target is passing by the vertical line and can shoot moments later. When you shoot, don´t have to worry with the bearing of the periscope since TDC is on. Dont have to set a new range nor AOB if you intend to shoot moments later.
The gernam TDC requires you to set a new range before shooting (increases precision) and not the AOB. Also, if you change the bearing of th scope, the fish will go that way. So if you change the scpope from the aft to the target´bow, the bow will be hit. On the american TDC you will have to use an specific switch to change the path 1-3 degrees to port or starport. If not, the aft will be hit even if you change the scope´s position.

Well how I usually shoot when using US fleetboats is aim individual shots...say im firing 3 fish at a mid sized merchant....I aim one amidships, one under the forward mast or just behind it, one aft.i aim by moving the scope and sending a new bearing for each shot.This is how many US skippers did it, easier than using the spread knob, hate that thing.Plus yes I had limited scope exposures since have the PK to track target.

I think my error was speed, not used to metric system so my speed estimation may have been off.I managed to sink a 5 ton tanker in a large convoy I found off coast of Spain when I was heading there in 1940 for the covert refit.Convoy must have came from the Med.

So you dont have to adjust the AOB to the last minute, just range and bearing?

Any quick methods for getting speed? I use the 3 minute rule with fleetboats.Mark a spot on map, time for 3 minutes, mark another spot...900 yards, 300 yards a minute, 9 knots.Not used to metric system.
Old 12-21-10, 07:19 PM   #5
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

metric, if i recall correctly, the "3 minute rule" is the 3 minutes and 15 seconds instead of just 3 minutes.

And U-Falke i think is spot on in his explanation. It's been awhile since i used the german TDC, i forgot about much he said.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 12:09 AM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
metric, if i recall correctly, the "3 minute rule" is the 3 minutes and 15 seconds instead of just 3 minutes.

And U-Falke i think is spot on in his explanation. It's been awhile since i used the german TDC, i forgot about much he said.

I did a quick brush up on metric system earlier, think it'll help.Thanks for the tips Duci and U-Falke.

Can't wait to see what dodging Allied DD's is like versus IJN DD's in game.Heard they can be rather tough.