SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-20, 07:51 AM   #1966
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
^I had that no deck gun bug with the balao as well and my home port was Midway, I was using the same fotrs version you're using too, only way to get round it is to reload a save before you entered port and refuse the balao upgrade.
That's what I did this time as well.

IIRC the only functional difference between the Gato and Balao is that the latter has an increased test depth. Not sure whether that's reflected in the game.
Old 10-06-20, 10:37 AM   #1967
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

I feel very sheepish I did not even think to look. Yes it was checked.
Thank you for your guidance. Great mod. Thank you

Now to see if I can get Titan's conning tower to show up

Comder
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 12:24 PM   #1968
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
That's what I did this time as well.

IIRC the only functional difference between the Gato and Balao is that the latter has an increased test depth. Not sure whether that's reflected in the game.
The drive train on some of the later Balao boats was quieter than the Gato's also, with less gearing, less noise... another thing was the conning tower design incorporated all the "cuts" of earlier boats, so the layout was more "logical". A new, quieter trim pump was available sometime in 1944, which was also re-fit on older boats when they came in.

If you fellows Save each time you come in, and are offered a new boat a couple-three patrols later, if you would, give it another go, noting the date, and see what happens. You really should not be having issues with a new Balao in July of 1943 at Midway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
I feel very sheepish I did not even think to look. Yes it was checked.
Thank you for your guidance. Great mod. Thank you

Now to see if I can get Titan's conning tower to show up

Comder
Glad you found it. Each career you might run can have different settings, which while frustrating having to change them each time, can be very flexible... Good luck with the Titan tower! I am lost with the old boats, and I'm not even on the same planet as the new boats...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 05:36 PM   #1969
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

SH4 TMO does not hit the spots like FotRSU does.

I am back at it again, with FotRSU.

I am excited for what is in store for me now.

I just pray that my SH4 game doesn't screw me over this time!!!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 07:43 PM   #1970
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ok, so......to what value did you change the parameters and........most importantly.........was the value change effective in allowing you to add Petty Officers?
I changed them to 24 officers and 70 POs. What I'm seeing n one of Propbeanie's posts above is that the Officers Country mod is overwriting the values.

It must be, because I have changed the values in the last Save File, and in the first folder just below the last save. I'm going to remove the Officers Country mods and try again.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 09:19 PM   #1971
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I changed them to 24 officers and 70 POs. What I'm seeing n one of Propbeanie's posts above is that the Officers Country mod is overwriting the values.

It must be, because I have changed the values in the last Save File, and in the first folder just below the last save. I'm going to remove the Officers Country mods and try again.
ok, great, but i have never seen a mod that continually overwrites the ActiveUserSave file.
let's see what happens when you remove the mod.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 05:15 AM   #1972
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
ok, great, but i have never seen a mod that continually overwrites the ActiveUserSave file.
let's see what happens when you remove the mod.
Ok, this is weird. I exited the game from the Office to the Main Menu to Windows. Then I unloaded the Officers area and compatibility patch, restarted the game, loaded the Save that put me back in the Office, and could NOT add another PO beyond the previous 50 count!

I'm going to forget the whole thing and live with what I get. But thanks for your help and time.

Old 10-07-20, 05:30 AM   #1973
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The split merchants and other vessels have been being scrutinized for "failure to comply", and I have not seen one yet. I have found them near anchorages, of which their settings are proper, either "Docked=true", or the speed is set low. I have not found any in the middle of the ocean. I have seen, especially later in the war when there is more / closer Allied support, where CV-based planes attack convoys, and end up "disabling" a vessel, usually with a resultant fire. I have seen those go dead in the water, but I have not seen any that hadn't had a little extra "help". I have also seen them "run aground" trying to get away from me and my stellar "skill" at attacking ( ) - and missing. I am still looking though, and I am suspecting this might be related to "backward compatibility" not really being 100% between the v1.2x copies of the mod. As witness, the deck gun loss when going to the Balao as an upgrade. I don't know though, since I have been unable to replicate the issue, even when using v1.2 and the v1.26p patch, while doing test career missions that give me a Balao before its time. I still get the boat, and it comes with a deck gun. We will keep trying though, as we're working on the next version, which will NOT be backwards compatible. The next version will take several weeks at a minimum.
I have encountered the stalled Split Merchants perhaps a half-dozen times on various patrols since early 1942. The first was in the Eastern end of the Java Sea after I left Surabaya in a Sargo boat. I am now in March 1944 out of Brisbane in a Gato (I had requested a transfer to TF-42 just for grins after getting the Gato) and sank one that appeared on radar to the South of Davao in one of the known routes from the East coast of Mindanao to the Celebes. Unfortunately I did not mark the date, time, or a more accurate location. It is definitely not a situation where the ships appear damaged, or previously attacked. The ones I've seen have been either stopped or moving at about 1 knot, sometimes all alone out there, but two had companions that sailed off as soon as I torpedoed the Split Merchant.

The next time I see one I will carefully note date, time, location, my boat type, from where I sailed, and my patrol orders. Will you need any other information? Mod List?

Old 10-07-20, 06:04 AM   #1974
WH4K
Frogman

Missing deck gun on upgrade Balao is super consistent. Guarantee I'll get the same result if I load an earlier save and try again.

Haven't tried starting a new career in late enough 1943 to have a Balao. Bet you if I do it will have a deck gun. Suspect the problem is with upgrade in a going career. I'll try it.
Old 10-07-20, 12:24 PM   #1975
propbeanie

Balao with a new career in Jan 1944, no problem, you get a 5" .25cal deck gun. Start with the Test Career I have in September 1943, and have the same thing... I'll do more tests this evening for an upgrade during a career. If you start a new career in January 1944 WH4K, with a Balao, let me know if you do, or do not have a deck, and which end of the boat it is on.

Old 10-07-20, 01:49 PM   #1976
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

May have asked this before and if did, forgive me.

Has it been attempted to make the AA guns act as deck guns? I would be willing to sacrifice crew manned AA guns if they would fire them at ships instead since it cant be both(why the devs didnt make them multi purpose, who knows) . Or is this hard coded?

Fleetboats rarely used their AA guns on aircraft, used them shoot up surface craft, would really add to the sim if could order the deck gun plus 40 and 20 MM target surface vessels together.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 04:09 PM   #1977
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Missing deck gun on upgrade Balao is super consistent. Guarantee I'll get the same result if I load an earlier save and try again.
Super consistent is bloody annoying Mr beanie.

Feb 4 1943 upgraded my Gato to a balao and there isn't a deck gun anywhere, not only that cock up Mr beanie but the game transferred me down to bleeding Brisbane as well, I didn't want to go down to that snake infested country, I had to reload a save just before I got back to Midway.

Ships are sinking in wind 15 as well, 1 sunk before I could identify it and a subchaser burst into flame and sank before I could give it a torpedo. The next day its still wind 15 and two small split merchants came into view and both of them were aflame as well, a torpedo each sent them to davy jones locker. Later that same day and still the same weather and two large split merchants came into view, there was nothing wrong with either of them.
I wonder if its a size thing, 2 small split merchants and a subchaser, hmmmmm, all this happened around 70 miles NE of Formosa.
Old 10-07-20, 05:47 PM   #1978
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Has it been attempted to make the AA guns act as deck guns? I would be willing to sacrifice crew manned AA guns if they would fire them at ships instead since it cant be both(why the devs didnt make them multi purpose, who knows) . Or is this hard coded?

Fleetboats rarely used their AA guns on aircraft, used them shoot up surface craft, would really add to the sim if could order the deck gun plus 40 and 20 MM target surface vessels together.
i believe it is the same concept as having enemy DD's fire torpedoes at player subs.
the launchers are defined as deck guns so they AI will fire them at a player.
i asked this same question of a modder two-three years ago and he replied but i could never make it work.
i'll see if i can find the post and send it to you.

i would also like to use my small weapons vs ships, especially the 40mm vs locals....when they get in the way of regular attacks on ships. bloody nuisance.

Hey PB, who was (is) the resource that showed you how to get DD's to fire torpedoes at player subs? didn't that process include making the torpedo launchers act like guns to enable AI firing?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 10-07-20 at 06:21 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 05:51 PM   #1979
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Balao with a new career in Jan 1944, no problem, you get a 5" .25cal deck gun. Start with the Test Career I have in September 1943, and have the same thing... I'll do more tests this evening for an upgrade during a career. If you start a new career in January 1944 WH4K, with a Balao, let me know if you do, or do not have a deck, and which end of the boat it is on.
Confirmed, starting a new career out of Midway in Jan 1944, my Balao has a stern-mount 5" deck gun.

Something about being awarded a Balao upgrade in mid-1943 seems to be wacky.
Old 10-07-20, 08:23 PM   #1980
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

We've noodled with it, but nothing serious, since it does seem to be set in stone. You change the gun type, and they no longer shoot at planes, and that might just be necessary sometime when you've got 40+% hull damage and cannot submerge. More experiments are anticipated, but who knows when we'll get the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Super consistent is bloody annoying Mr beanie.

Feb 4 1943 upgraded my Gato to a balao and there isn't a deck gun anywhere, not only that cock up Mr beanie but the game transferred me down to bleeding Brisbane as well, I didn't want to go down to that snake infested country, I had to reload a save just before I got back to Midway.

Ships are sinking in wind 15 as well, 1 sunk before I could identify it and a subchaser burst into flame and sank before I could give it a torpedo. The next day its still wind 15 and two small split merchants came into view and both of them were aflame as well, a torpedo each sent them to davy jones locker. Later that same day and still the same weather and two large split merchants came into view, there was nothing wrong with either of them.
I wonder if its a size thing, 2 small split merchants and a subchaser, hmmmmm, all this happened around 70 miles NE of Formosa.
The Balao in February of 1943 is never a good thing, since it is not "active" until July. It didn't start patrolling until early August, and that was from Brisbane. Pearly was late August. Usually, you are sent to San Francisco though, if you are assigned it too early...

The size of the ship does matter - at least, in this case. Make them too sea-worthy, and they won't sink with 3 torpedoes. Kind of stuck with the "damage" system of the game. If the devs would have released some form of "documentation" on collision detection or the damage system (or ~anything~) for modding, it would be easier to set things... but we do know, from example, that the stock game, which we do attempt to emulate usually, also has its own "issues" that should not be copied, such as September 31...

Quote:
i believe it is the same concept as having enemy DD's fire torpedoes at player subs.
the launchers are defined as deck guns so they AI will fire them at a player.
i asked this same question of a modder two-three years ago and he replied but i could never make it work.
i'll see if i can find the post and send it to you.

i would also like to use my small weapons vs ships, especially the 40mm vs locals....when they get in the way of regular attacks on ships. bloody nuisance.

Hey PB, who was (is) the resource that showed you how to get DD's to fire torpedoes at player subs? didn't that process include making the torpedo launchers act like guns to enable AI firing?
Quoting from the first page of this thread:
*Note: The AI Torpedo idea has been hashed around by the likes of DarkFish, jhapprich, Sergbuto, and polyfiller, among others, with all ideas combined by CapnScurvy and s7rikeback to make a fully-functional "device". The "range" of the launch is shortened in FotRSU, both of necessity for accuracy, but also to minimize the complete annihilation of all vessels afloat and submerged...
Experiment with different gun types... The game does seem to have the different "types" hard-coded as to their function. The IJN put AA shells in the main guns of the Yamato, which were ~huge~ flak bursts, but they did tear-up the barrel linings, so any gun could be used for anything, except the guns of SH4... I imagine that the reasoning behind it is for practicality with the game, in that you would NOT want the main guns to shoot at airplanes, because what happens when you encounter an enemy task force?...

Quote:
Confirmed, starting a new career out of Midway in Jan 1944, my Balao has a stern-mount 5" deck gun.

Something about being awarded a Balao upgrade in mid-1943 seems to be wacky.
Still trying to track that down. I just had an "upgrade" from Pearl a bit ago, from a Gato to a Balao, in August 1943, and all was well with it, including radar... I'll try harder to get it a pinch earlier next test run...