SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-08, 02:28 PM   #1
ATR-42
Commodore

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 6
Larger Interface, Tools, dials, buttons? 1920x1200

I run 1920x1200 res on a 24" wide screen. before i updated my video drivers i used to step down the resolution a bit to get larger interface in game.

is there anything out there...or a way, for me to make just the interface larger so i can keep the LCD in its native resolution but get larger dials, map tools, buttons ect?

if theres not, do any of you guys find yourselves in a similar situation? what resolution do you run or possible solution to the issue?

Last edited by ATR-42; 05-16-08 at 02:56 PM.
ATR-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 04:39 PM   #2
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

1920x1200??!

WHOA!

You surely have a powerful machine! I run at 1680x1050 on a 20" widescreen...not great performances, but looks very good. I think the menu.cfg file contains some settings related dimensions ad position of various tools and dials. (at least that's the file almost every mod which changes those things replaces).

But I'm not aware of anything for your porblem, sorry..
Old 05-16-08, 04:53 PM   #3
ATR-42
Commodore

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 6

i may switch back to something like 1680x1200 but its a shame to lose the sharpness over readability.

I think 'supersizing' all the interface items would be a very involved mod....

ATR-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 11:26 AM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR-42
i may switch back to something like 1680x1200 but its a shame to lose the sharpness over readability.

captain cox did some work a long while back trying to resize some of the interfaces but it was a nightmare and he quit trying because even though you move stuff the game still responds like everything was in its original size and place. he got it visually but control wise nothing worked right.
Old 05-17-08, 01:19 PM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR-42

Running at 1920 x 1200 on a 28 in. widescreen, and don't have any more trouble with reading the dials as I did on the old 19 in. at 1024 x 768. The only thing I wish was better, was being able to set a finer course on the compass, or to type in a new heading more accurately when your radar man sends a blip message. It would make interception more refined as you could get more precise headings as opposed to just a general direction heading.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:04 PM   #6
Tuna_caN
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default 360 bearing plotter for 1920x1200?

Greetings all,

I too am running 1920x1200 (using an imac with XP running under bootcamp).

I have done a lot of searching and reading (thanks to Rockin Robbins by the way for opening up the world of manual targeting - I'm starting to get the hang of it) however I would like to use a 360 bearing plotter but have not been able to find one to suit my resolution.

Are we '1920x1200ers' in the minority here? Can I use another one and and ignore the distance scaling error (I could put up with that as I only really want it for bearings) or does our 8:5 aspect ratio distort it too much?

Thanks for your input
Tuna_caN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:52 PM   #7
banjo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 55

I use 1900/1200 on a 22" screen LCD. I have no problem reading any of the dials, plotters, etc. Looks to me about the same size as on my old 19" CRT. The only small thing is the clock is almost off the screen to the right when it first pops up. I have to move it more onto the screen and then it is fine. It must be a function of these new flat screen monitors, but they seem to take less cpu power than the old CRT's. I only have a P4 2.8 gig cpu and I could have never run this game in that high of a res with my old monitor. Everything is really sharp too--I love it.
BTW--I tried different resolutions when I first got it, but the 'native' res was the only one that everything looked right in. In the others dial were a little fat/oblong for example.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 07:44 AM   #8
johnboy1958
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Mods

Hi guys. I have been using sh3 and sh5, for some time. Am now trying sh4 but for some reason I can NOT get any mods to work. I have installed JSGME but the game is not using it. I have only trird "bigger dials at the moment, but it has not worked. Is anything different between sh3 say (which i have a lot of mods installed ) and sh4 ???
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction no pun intended.
Thanks in advance, John
Old 07-20-22, 10:25 AM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

What is the source of your SH4, such as Steam, Ubisoft, or other download, or a disk? What is the path to your install, such as are you in a Program Files folder? You should avoid installing there, if you have, and put the SH games in a folder of your own making, such as "C:\Games\Silent Hunter..." In the meantime, one thing about mods in the SH4 install (probably SH3 also), is that the game runs off of the Save folder data, but JSGME will not overwrite any data there (mostly because it puts the information in the game folder only), and Silent Hunter 4 will not overwrite any file in the Save folder if it exists already, which the Stock dials would already be there. If you are in a good install location, this would be my primary "suspect" here. Navigate into the Save folder (generally C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4) and delete either SH and all it contains, or the cfg folder below that, and all it contains. When you run SH4 again, it will re-create the Save folder data, and populate it with any new information that you have added with a mod. Now, small caveat here... this does wipe-out any campaign or other progress you have made thus far, but by the same token, that information is usually not compatible with the new mod configuration anyway. Just be aware of that.

Where is Aktungbby though? We are really doing the thread-necro here...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 10:42 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

ATR-42, who is still active as of 2020, would be pleased his thread is still active ...after 14 years!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 01:09 AM   #11
VIIC1941
Watch

Downloads: 135

I am using a 3840×2160 monitor. The UI and text of the game are too small to see clearly.
In order to enlarge the UI, I find some tutorials and try to modify the menu_1024_768.ini, but it is too difficult for me, the UIs always looks messed up.
I can only give up this game temporarily. The 4k monitor is an amazing enjoyment, once I've experienced the high resolution, I can't stand the lower resolution anymore.
VIIC1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-22, 06:24 PM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

short of doing a new interface with the menu_1024_768.ini file, the easiest thing to do is to use a divisible setting in the game. Since it is a 16:9 resolution, try setting the game itself to 1920x1080 (leave the Windows settings alone), and see if you notice much of a difference.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 03:12 PM   #13
Razyx
Nub

Downloads: 12

Hello, I think is my first post here hmm, well, time goes by quite fast and probably, in it's day, I was trying to find a fix or something.

Although the topic is old (and maybe even everybody know how to tweak it) the menu works like 'everything' in the game. The parents ID and their dependant items.
The menu, related with the main dials at least, are under the <menu group> of their group.
It starts with the label [G3F I35] and the <menu group> (or parent) named; Heading (ItemID=0x3F1D0000).

I've not digged enough to know everything but if you want to change the size of the dials you only need to change the values of the <main group> and do not touch (at first) the dependant items.
The dependant items position can be changed but a priori not the size (borders instead can change their size tho).

The key line is <zone>
It will look like the next; Zone= 759 120 90 90 0 1 0x3F010018 0.5 -1 0x3F1D0000 -0.5 1 0 30

-The first couple of numbers could be the location of the object but I didnt mess with those because we are looking for a square and regular dimension.
-The next couple of numbers are the ones that will allow you to change the size but, instead of working like the bigger the value the bigger the size, is the other way around. The lower the value the bigger the size.
-The next couple of values no idea (I got no effect but..)
-Later comes an itemID (it's the toggle under which the dials work).
-The next couple of numbers after an itemID move the object up/down, left/right in steps (around 50 pixels or so).
Values like 0, 0.5, 1, or alike are related with some kind of steps to move the object from a 'default center' (the first two values?).
-The last couple of numbers would be for fine tuning (in pixels, I'll say). This last numbers are useful when something is a bit off of the desired place, a marker etc.

I did not look for anything more because I got what I needed.
Hopefully it can be useful for someone.
Razyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-23, 10:39 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Rayzyx! finally on the surface after an 8 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-23, 12:26 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razyx View Post
Hello, I think is my first post here hmm, well, time goes by quite fast and probably, in it's day, I was trying to find a fix or something.

Although the topic is old (and maybe even everybody know how to tweak it) the menu works like 'everything' in the game. The parents ID and their dependant items.
The menu, related with the main dials at least, are under the <menu group> of their group.
It starts with the label [G3F I35] and the <menu group> (or parent) named; Heading (ItemID=0x3F1D0000).

I've not digged enough to know everything but if you want to change the size of the dials you only need to change the values of the <main group> and do not touch (at first) the dependant items.
The dependant items position can be changed but a priori not the size (borders instead can change their size tho).

The key line is <zone>
It will look like the next; Zone= 759 120 90 90 0 1 0x3F010018 0.5 -1 0x3F1D0000 -0.5 1 0 30

-The first couple of numbers could be the location of the object but I didnt mess with those because we are looking for a square and regular dimension.
-The next couple of numbers are the ones that will allow you to change the size but, instead of working like the bigger the value the bigger the size, is the other way around. The lower the value the bigger the size.
-The next couple of values no idea (I got no effect but..)
-Later comes an itemID (it's the toggle under which the dials work).
-The next couple of numbers after an itemID move the object up/down, left/right in steps (around 50 pixels or so).
Values like 0, 0.5, 1, or alike are related with some kind of steps to move the object from a 'default center' (the first two values?).
-The last couple of numbers would be for fine tuning (in pixels, I'll say). This last numbers are useful when something is a bit off of the desired place, a marker etc.

I did not look for anything more because I got what I needed.
Hopefully it can be useful for someone.
Try this link.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=128873

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote