SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-22, 08:46 PM   #1
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Beyond August 1945

I was wondering if SH 4 can be played/moddded beyond the end of WWII?

Thinking cold war smoke boats before The Nuke boats and including Korea. Wonder if theres any interest?

Frank
Old 07-22-22, 08:53 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

If it can be done... then, seeing of a career... using the subs from the end of WW2, to before the advent of the 'nuke boats' era, would be of interest to Me.

M. M.
Old 07-23-22, 01:17 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
I was wondering if SH 4 can be played/moddded beyond the end of WWII?

Thinking cold war smoke boats before The Nuke boats and including Korea. Wonder if theres any interest?

Frank

Currently, can not be done as SH 4 is hard coded to end August 1945. Now, if SH 4 community were to ever access the code, could possibly do hard coded fixes way SH 4 and SH 5 have and possibly extend it, which would be great to let war end then progress into immediate years after the war, maybe into Korea, where could reach flag rank and retired, career over. This could be accomplished possibly. in addition to changing many things currently can not but as of now, it is what it is. (I say this somewhat hesitantly, as I as DO NOT want to start up the whole discussion about accessing the code again lol)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 08:28 PM   #4
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Currently, can not be done as SH 4 is hard coded to end August 1945. Now, if SH 4 community were to ever access the code, could possibly do hard coded fixes way SH 4 and SH 5 have and possibly extend it, which would be great to let war end then progress into immediate years after the war, maybe into Korea, where could reach flag rank and retired, career over. This could be accomplished possibly. in addition to changing many things currently can not but as of now, it is what it is. (I say this somewhat hesitantly, as I as DO NOT want to start up the whole discussion about accessing the code again lol)
So the dates we see in game are the dates the code uses? Is there a way to change what dates the player sees?

I would imagine one could simply look at 1942 and realize it means 1952 but then that would only give us 3 years to work with

How does The Kaiser WWI mod fix the date problem?

It wouldnt be a terribly "exciting" mod as not much torpedoing was taking place. LOL More covert Ops, Photo ops, cable taps, etc. But getting caught could cause a rain of fury to come down upon one. The Boats would need new sails, snorkel mast, no topside guns (GUPPY MOD)

Frank
Old 07-23-22, 09:55 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You want - no, you NEED

USS Requin GUPPY I Submarine
and
USS Corporal GUPPY III Version 1.0

Both by JesterV2. There was a thread here somewhere on their development...

found the one REL thread:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...68#post2457468

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:33 PM   #6
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You want - no, you NEED

USS Requin GUPPY I Submarine
and
USS Corporal GUPPY III Version 1.0

Both by JesterV2. There was a thread here somewhere on their development...

found the one REL thread:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...68#post2457468
Definitely! If only the years could get adjusted somehow as these years are as absent from subsims as much as WWI subsims are. Maybe late 50's Introduce the MK-45 ....lol
Old 07-23-22, 10:34 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
So the dates we see in game are the dates the code uses? Is there a way to change what dates the player sees?

I would imagine one could simply look at 1942 and realize it means 1952 but then that would only give us 3 years to work with

How does The Kaiser WWI mod fix the date problem?

It wouldnt be a terribly "exciting" mod as not much torpedoing was taking place. LOL More covert Ops, Photo ops, cable taps, etc. But getting caught could cause a rain of fury to come down upon one. The Boats would need new sails, snorkel mast, no topside guns (GUPPY MOD)

Frank

For Wolves of the Kaiser mod, the dev(s) just went back, not sure how far can set the date backwards, but apparently can at least 20 years.. Kind of how pre pearl harbor mod was created by Fed. Based on that concept, I expanded in my mod for TMO campaign to include a Pre War campaign to starting June 1941. Technically, could do a whole peace time career but that would probably get boring, so just had it started in June 41, so player get a few peace time exercises/patrols in. I may do it for the Tambor class new construction at some point.

However, the game is coded to end in August 1945, so you can go back because can change dates in the campaign/upc files, but can not, without the code, go beyond August 1945.
Old 07-24-22, 11:27 AM   #8
propbeanie

If KaleunMarco remember his noodlings with the flotillas in OM/Dark Waters, and the game will indeed go to December 31, 1999 - YEAR 2000!!! Look-out, the world as we know it will come to an end that day, because a computer can't run beyond that!!!

I am reasonably certain you can go beyond the end of WWII - not 100% though... ETR3(SS) or jhapprich (among others) could probably tell you for certain. I do not recall the "trigger" for the end of the Stock game sequence. But it is a bit of a bother to find all of the limiting date factors, and to make all of the "messaging" and other aspects of the game conform. iambecomelife has spent a good deal of his time in Wolves of the Kaiser doing 3D modeling, but I'm sure he has spent a considerable amount of time on the "date" issue also.

Old 07-25-22, 06:17 PM   #9
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

Now this is where the Cold Waters and Silent Hunter 4 communities converge.

DotMod's Discord server had an interesting conversation about doing a very early Cold War campaign (late 1940s-early 1950s) for Cold Waters. Silent Hunter 4 would be the much better game for this.

There would be new and better torpedoes. The Mark 16 would be low renown to free as it became standard sometime after WW2. Mark 28, which was an upgraded, passive acoustic homing Mark 18, would be available for a few hundred renown per shot. Original Mk 18 would be free. Guided ASW torpedoes were just starting to come early 1950s. Otherwise, it would largely play the same.

Overall, the game would be kinda play like late-war U-boats but harder.

Hunting enemy submarines would be an interesting endeavor to carry out in SH4. For that, the Mark 24 torpedo and the Barracuda-class SSKs would be ideal platforms. However, you'd have to stay undetected because of the12-knot speed of the Mark 24.

This would be somewhat more difficult than IJN on both sides, especially if you played as the Soviets. ASW capabilities would be roughly noticeably better than the IJN.

Cold Waters could've been a much better game that could've potentially done all this stuff. However, less-than-ideal programming practices have held it back, and Cold Waters modding is not as extensive as SH4 modding, albeit somewhat easier. I also prefer SH4's environment. You get to actually hear different ships instead of scroll through PNGs of ship and sub profiles. SH4 was better searching for ships via sonar too because you could do it yourself instead of hoping for regaining contact or banging active sonar (on lower-end vessels). Torpedo evasion while playing in the interior would be more of a challenge as well. Code changes to Silent Hunter 4 would be an immense breakthrough that could allow for a rewriting to properly support modern hardware and enhance the game further.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 07:30 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
If KaleunMarco remember his noodlings with the flotillas in OM/Dark Waters, and the game will indeed go to December 31, 1999 - YEAR 2000!!! Look-out, the world as we know it will come to an end that day, because a computer can't run beyond that!!!
yes, i do remember.

Quote:
I am reasonably certain you can go beyond the end of WWII - not 100% though... ETR3(SS) or jhapprich (among others) could probably tell you for certain. I do not recall the "trigger" for the end of the Stock game sequence. But it is a bit of a bother to find all of the limiting date factors, and to make all of the "messaging" and other aspects of the game conform. iambecomelife has spent a good deal of his time in Wolves of the Kaiser doing 3D modeling, but I'm sure he has spent a considerable amount of time on the "date" issue also.
actually, no, you cannot go beyond August 14-15, 1945 in Career Mode.
may be you can design some single missions beyond that August 1945 date but the career engine stops dead.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 09:44 PM   #11
propbeanie

Well, here's something I threw together in about five minutes...

Now, it did crash as it was loading the mission, but I probably forgot something on the submarines themselves, or one of the other files. That was just a quick Flotilla, CareerStart, PatrolObjective and one mission assignment edit. I am almost positive that jhapprich or some one of the boomer modders did this already. You just have to date things specifically, even little things you never notice. You cannot use NULL. It might be that they fooled the "calendar" in the game and made it look like it was 1952 instead of 1942??? dunno, but someone has already done it, unless I was dreaming... ??

Old 07-26-22, 01:16 AM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Well, here's something I threw together in about five minutes...

Now, it did crash as it was loading the mission, but I probably forgot something on the submarines themselves, or one of the other files. That was just a quick Flotilla, CareerStart, PatrolObjective and one mission assignment edit. I am almost positive that jhapprich or some one of the boomer modders did this already. You just have to date things specifically, even little things you never notice. You cannot use NULL. It might be that they fooled the "calendar" in the game and made it look like it was 1952 instead of 1942??? dunno, but someone has already done it, unless I was dreaming... ??

All these years, has been said this could not be done. Now, if could get it to work without CTD, well, could prove interesting.
Old 07-26-22, 07:49 AM   #13
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
actually, no, you cannot go beyond August 14-15, 1945 in Career Mode.
may be you can design some single missions beyond that August 1945 date but the career engine stops dead.

OK - I found it in my mods "collection"... and it is a train wreck of a mess. I do not remember the original author, or where I got it, but what happens, is you can change the dates in a text editor, go to run it, the game loads and takes you to the office as above, but as soon as you enter the "world", the dates all re-set to "valid" values, and will generally get set to 1940-01-01 and then it crashes... So you guys are correct - it will NOT do it, and my "dream" is a in reality, a nightmare... how quickly we forget - sigh - just remember kids, this is what happens when you get old... everything takes on a glint of gold, and your eye glasses are rose-colored...

Old 07-26-22, 06:08 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
OK - I found it in my mods "collection"... and it is a train wreck of a mess. I do not remember the original author, or where I got it, but what happens, is you can change the dates in a text editor, go to run it, the game loads and takes you to the office as above, but as soon as you enter the "world", the dates all re-set to "valid" values, and will generally get set to 1940-01-01 and then it crashes... So you guys are correct - it will NOT do it, and my "dream" is a in reality, a nightmare... how quickly we forget - sigh - just remember kids, this is what happens when you get old... everything takes on a glint of gold, and your eye glasses are rose-colored...
Exactly, or
as BH so elegantly put it: Now, if we could get it to work without CTD.

and if pigs had wings.....

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 10:24 PM   #15
Torpex77
Helmsman

Bummer, but Thanks everyone for reviewing, trying, and thinking on it!

This is where I say that the "holders of the code" really need to get real and give it up.

Frank