SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-16, 02:40 PM   #1
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Default USS Gar Patrol Ending

Ahoy Captains!

The date/time is July 25, 1943, 17:00 hrs, Long 141 57' E. Lat 37 51' N. I send a status report earlier to HQ. Receive message to RTB or patrol another area. I have one Mark 14 torpedo in forward tubes and one in the aft tubes. I decide to return to my base at Midway, since I' m low on ordnance and enough fuel to get back to back to base. It's been a great patrol with six cargo and one tanker sunk. When I get to the date/ time above, the game stops. The first time I was at 512 time compression when it crashed. Reloaded last save and when I got to the date and time again, the game crashed. I was at normal time compression, on the surface with no air or surface contacts. I reloaded again, and I was at a depth of 250 feet with the same results. Each time I was in the control room with the clock showing. The fan blades would stop and the second hand on the clock would be at 17:00 hrs. I know it can't be the Bermuda Triangle because I was on the other side of the world. lol When I save a game, I always go to the control room (F2), stop the engines, pause the game before saving. I have had less problems when I save the game like this. And I don't keep more than three saves. The only way I could save my career, was go to an earlier save and reload. I got back to base before the date and was offered a new submarine, a Balo class. Don't have any ideas to what happen. Any suggestions to was caused the CTD are welcome. And thanks in advance for your help. My mod soup is:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5_OTC for 5 to 4 Aspect Ratio_TMO
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 5 to 4_TMO
1.5_OTC_US Radar from Start for TMO
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1280x)
Nav Map Make-Over v. 2.0
NMMO Airbase Add-on
Office Images
Hiryu Mission Test
Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod
Bigger Better Protractors
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_Performance
TMO Smoke Mod
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 09:45 PM   #2
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Hi~ the CTD and other save-game issues seem to be very common for this game, sorry i' have not met your problem yet but i encountered others, and we share the similar mod soup.

BTW, the "navigation map make over" mod is updated to 2.1 and there is also a 2.1 patch for that, maybe that would change something.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 06:36 AM   #3
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Larrywb57, have you applied the Large Address Aware modification? Here is a link an explanation of what it does.

(http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556)
Old 05-02-16, 06:53 AM   #4
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Icon1

Thanks Flaminus for your quick reply!

I have downloaded both of the 'Navigation Map Make-over v.2.1' and patch mods and put them in my 'Mod" folder. When I return to my base, I will make the changes.
Old 05-02-16, 07:41 AM   #5
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Large Address Aware

I strongly recommend you run this program. I have not had a single game crash over several years since adding SH4 to the program.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 10:54 AM   #6
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Icon14

Thanks jldjs & Torpedobait for your reply's,

My rig is a Intel 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2.0 GB of RAM. Also my video card is Geforce 8400GS with DirectX 11.0. (I loaded the DirectX 9 from the SH4, Gold Edition CD first). The OS is Window Home Premium 32-bit. When I installed the SH4, I had to get the video card in order just to start the game. I know just enough about computers not to make changes without asking a lot of questions. If I added the 'Large Address Aware' would it help me from having game crashes? I normally don't have that many, but once a year. Thanks for suggestions Captains. I will look at the website that you sent in your post, jldjs.
Old 05-03-16, 06:25 AM   #7
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The link I gave is not working, sorry, try this one;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3634
Old 05-03-16, 04:06 PM   #8
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Large Address Aware

Based on the amount of memory you have, I don't think LAA alone will fix your problem with crashes. LAA lets the game use more than the built-in 2Gb limit. Since you "only" have 2Gb I don't think it will help much. You may need to add RAM and then run LAA to prevent the crashes you've been seeing. My rig has more memory than needed for sure, but I had the same problems you are seeing until I ran LAA. I also run a free download (don't have a link right offhand) for a program called Game Booster 3. That one lets you add your game, and when you execute the game from there it closes all the unnecessary crap that all computers seem to run and frees up the memory. You can control which programs and services it will close. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. It stops things like automatic Windows updates and the like that can interrupt you mid-mission. When you exit the game, Game Booster 3 restores everything to active status. Pretty neat, and it is free. I've been using it for several years now, and recommend it as added insurance my sims have sufficient free memory. Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote