SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-15, 11:41 AM   #211
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Really? You STILL do FaceBook?

Talk about an intrusive piece of crap!
A Plan:
Google: Look thoroughly after how to rob a bank
Facebook: Post "I want to rob a bank, any advice?"
Amazon: Buy a ski mask, via your bank account
eBay: Buy a plastic revolver, via PayPal
Facebook: "Will go to this bank on january 21st and rob it, at 11:00 a.m."
(a hundred 'likes')
Use your navihation software, and read a notice of robbing a bank that is much nearer than that you wanted to rob
Win!

Of course such direct notice is not necessary, your metadata will tell them enough. I think to find criminals of any kind today, you need to survey those networks, however how any criminal would use such networks voluntarily, is beyond me

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-15, 12:05 PM   #212
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Really? You STILL do FaceBook?

Talk about an intrusive piece of crap!
It's only intrusive if you allow it to be.
Old 08-21-15, 04:55 PM   #213
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
They're only giving it away free to people who have already paid for an earlier version.
Only for the first year of the release of Windows 10. The end of July next year it will cost you.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 05:42 PM   #214
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I just found one benefit of upgrading. My expired trial for Adobe Illustrator CC is now good for thirty more days.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 07:54 AM   #215
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default How to cure Windows 10's worst headaches

How to cure Windows 10's worst headaches
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29752...headaches.html

Of special interest to me,
Quote:
Windows 10 home users are now pretty much required to accept and install updates at the time and choosing of Microsoft. This can be disastrous if you get a bad update that bricks your system or puts it in an endless reboot cycle, or if you have to download updates on a metered connection.

Luckily, there are solutions for both.
Old 08-26-15, 08:52 AM   #216
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Ta for the link...still undecided on upgrading though.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 09:01 AM   #217
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Ta for the link...still undecided on upgrading though.
Have it on the work computer, it's the guinea pig for 10 .

Will wait for awhile on the home one. No rush really.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 10:11 AM   #218
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Have it on the work computer, it's the guinea pig for 10 .

Will wait for awhile on the home one. No rush really.
Rgr that matey, although feedback thus far seems to be divided between good and bad. Have till July to decide.

Old 08-26-15, 11:01 AM   #219
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Rgr that matey, although feedback thus far seems to be divided between good and bad. Have till July to decide.

Very short list of minor issues that have a correctable/adjustable solution.

Jim, thus far, other than the learning curve of finding were things are located now, 10 works very well on my machine. I do enjoy features that MS offers for the Windows Phone(that I have) and Windows 10. File share is great between my devices. No more emailing a picture I have taken from my phone to my email address so I can download it for use on my computer. My pictures go to my Cloud automatically(I set it up that way). When I turn on my computer the picture is there. My music is also found on the cloud that I can access from all my Windows devices.

I have gotten to a point in my life were needing to know how Apple, Chromebook, Android and MS operating systems work is getting tiresome. I wanted to stick with one. Microsoft was the one. Windows 10 has simplified my digital world just a little more.
Old 08-26-15, 01:12 PM   #220
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post

Thank also for the link. I've just basically been winging it on the Win 10 upgrade I did. Since the upgrade process was very easy, I haven't had to make very many tweaks, but it is good to have a list of more common tweaks to which you can refer. I think a lot of the negative comments boil down to either the "orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages" sort of reaction or the expectations by some that Win 10 will solve all of their problems when, like any other OS, it can't be all things to all people. Given the nearly infinite combinations and/or variations of hardware and software any Windows OS has to deal with and accommodate, I'd have to say they are doing an admirable job so far. The use of the upgrade I did is happy so far and so are other persons whom I have heard from...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-26-15 at 09:12 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 10:33 AM   #221
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post

Jim, thus far, other than the learning curve of finding were things are located now, 10 works very well on my machine. I do enjoy features that MS offers for the Windows Phone(that I have) and Windows 10. File share is great between my devices. No more emailing a picture I have taken from my phone to my email address so I can download it for use on my computer. My pictures go to my Cloud automatically(I set it up that way). When I turn on my computer the picture is there. My music is also found on the cloud that I can access from all my Windows devices.

I have gotten to a point in my life were needing to know how Apple, Chromebook, Android and MS operating systems work is getting tiresome. I wanted to stick with one. Microsoft was the one. Windows 10 has simplified my digital world just a little more.
Thanks for the info Chris....certainly adds weight to my 'Go for it' side

Old 08-27-15, 05:43 PM   #222
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

This might help those who are worried about Microsoft spying on them through Windows 10...or at least explain a few things.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-micr...th-windows-10/

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 11:23 AM   #223
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post

But it's much, much worse than we thought and there is so much that we don't know yet. You may be able to fix those items Microsoft has given us switches for, but their EULA makes it crystal clear that switching them off is no protection. Microsoft claims the right to every piece of programming or information you have in your unshared private folders anywhere on your computer, and reserves the right to collect, preserve and distribute any of it as they see fit.

From the EULA: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your e-mails, other private communications, or files in private folders) when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

There is much more, but that is all you need to know: that they boldly and openly remove all rights to your personal property when you consent to use Windows 10. This is not only not wise but it is illegal in the EU and probably in the US as well, as they have some obligation to protect the privacy rights of people who cannot protect themselves. The only good thing you can say about Microsoft is that their EULA, which nobody will read, is open, clear and non-legalistic about telling you that the cost of using Windows 10 is that everything about you is fair game and can be kept forever for any use to which Microsoft or any "partners" see fit.

You will notice that they don't say that they have those rights unless you opt out with the privacy options. You give them those rights ANYWAY. There is a reason for that and it's not in your best interest. It's a stark and boldly naked admission that after you shut down all the privacy options they will still have access to everything and reserve the right to use it as they see fit. You have no remaining ownership rights to your computer.

People should take a permanent pass on Windows 10 no matter how "wonderful" it seems because the price far outweighs any personal benefit from using it. It is a Trojan horse, all glittery and pretty as a lure for you to voluntarily give them your personal property so they can profit from your efforts and you get nothing good in return.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-28-15 at 02:56 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 12:55 PM   #224
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
But it's much, much worse than we thought and there is so much that we don't know yet. You may be able to fix those items Microsoft has given us switches for, but their EULA makes it crystal clear that switching them off is no protection. Microsoft claims the right to every piece of programming or information you have in your unshared private folders anywhere on your computer, and reserves the right to collect, preserve and distribute any of it as they see fit.

From the EULA: "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your e-mails, other private communications, or files in private folders) when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

There is much more, but that is all you need to know: that they boldly and openly remove all rights to your personal property when you consent to use Windows 10. This is not only not wise but it is illegal in the EU and probably in the US as well, as they have some obligation to protect the privacy rights of people who cannot protect themselves. The only good thing you can say about Microsoft is that their EULA, which nobody will read, is open, clear and non-legalistic about telling you that the cost of using Windows 10 is that everything about you is fair game and can be kept forever for any use to which Microsoft or any "partners" see fit.

You will notice that they don't say that they have those rights unless you opt out with the privacy options. You give them those rights ANYWAY. There is a reason for that and it's not in your best interest. It's a stark and boldly naked admission that after you shut down all the privacy options they will still have access to everything and reserve the right to use it as they see fit. You have no remaining ownership rights to your computer.

People should take a permanent pass on Windows 10 no matter how "wonderful" it seems because the price far outweighs any personal benefit from using it. It is a Trojan horse, all glittery and pretty as a lure for you to voluntarily give them your personal property so they can profit from your efforts and you get nothing good in return.

Here is the thing RR, I don't care. My information has been mined since my very first Windows 98 Acer 550 Monster. I can find everything about me by a simple google of my name. Places I lived, family members and places of employment.

There is nothing on my computer or digital life that MS can profit from.

If this new OS does not appeal to the user because of privacy issues then stay with the OS that works best. But, MS already has a lot on their users already. I don't think MS will get much more on me other than my obituaries one day.
Old 08-28-15, 01:10 PM   #225
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Then you would be one of the very few exceptions out there who do not agree that giving out the key to your house, your bank account numbers, your credit card numbers, all personal communications, even any software you have installed on your machine to a company who says they will use all that as they see fit, store it forever, disperse it to any and all "partners." If the EULA didn't say it I'd be accused of wearing a tin foil hat, but read it and weep. Your computer is theirs to use as they see fit and you no longer own it.

Your information has never been mined like this before unless a court ordered subpeona has been delivered to your door. But what the legal system must jump through hoops designed to protect your privacy for, you wish to just give away? Eveyone has grave harm that can be done to them if their personal information gets in the wrong hands. You have credit scores to trash, bank accounts to drain, work communications that are supposed to be confidential, passwords, you can go on and on. When you install Windows 10 you give Microsoft unlimited access to all of that PLUS the right to disperse the information to whoever they choose without notice to you or permission from you.....talk about unreasonable search and seizure!

Not seeing danger in that is incomprehensible to me. Criminals need guns and brass knuckles to get some of that info. Microsoft buys you with a "free" operating system. It's so far beyond the pale that people should go to prison for a long time. It's a mugging with a smile and "I've got your back."

No Windows 10 for me. It's as dangerous as walking around with your checkbook in your pocket.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-28-15 at 02:58 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows