SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-10, 04:23 PM   #1
plymouth
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Simplier Manual Targeting Method?

Hi I have recently started playing SH3 and have been studying the manual targeting method. After a few attempts I noticed its much easier using the TDC screen and just manually adjusting the dials (with the auto update switched off). This way its not necessary to calculate its distance, therefore not necessary to identify the ship, since the target line shows the distance on the map. Also, speed can be set to 0 and the missile fired based on an estimation of the speed of the ship. After a few shots in Naval Academy this method seems to work well. However I don´t know if its 'cheating' and an unrealistic way of playing the game. In GMX 3 the 'Gods view' doesn´t effect the realism (I play at 100%), so I´m only guessing that this method is ok. Does anybody else use this method? Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Also, is it possible to re-base at another location apart from Kiel? Tks!
Old 11-01-10, 05:33 PM   #2
OSU
A-ganger

Downloads: 81

I personally try to stick as close as possible to manual targeting methods. The only thing that I don't pay as close attention to is the range, which really doesn't affect torpedoes that run in a straight line, but I still try to get it as close as possible so I have an accurate time for when the torpedo will hit.

As for your second question, I'm assuming you mean a transfer? Yes, it is possible, you just need enough renown to get the transfer request through.
Philippians 2:14-15

Those things that are precious are saved only by sacrifice.
-Pvt. David Webster

All gave some, some gave all. We will never forget you.

Semper Fi
OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 05:37 PM   #3
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
Hi I have recently started playing SH3 and have been studying the manual targeting method. After a few attempts I noticed its much easier using the TDC screen and just manually adjusting the dials (with the auto update switched off). This way its not necessary to calculate its distance, therefore not necessary to identify the ship, since the target line shows the distance on the map. Also, speed can be set to 0 and the missile fired based on an estimation of the speed of the ship. After a few shots in Naval Academy this method seems to work well. However I don´t know if its 'cheating' and an unrealistic way of playing the game. In GMX 3 the 'Gods view' doesn´t effect the realism (I play at 100%), so I´m only guessing that this method is ok. Does anybody else use this method? Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. Also, is it possible to re-base at another location apart from Kiel? Tks!
If you go to manual input, you are entering data manually. And by turning the dials, you can input whatever you want.

The resulting target line is what you have told the TDC you see.. but it never asks "where did you get this data?" You can think of the TDC as being Uriah Heep 'umbly writing everything you report, but who is never looking through the periscope to confirm.

So, yes, calculating range, speed, angle-on-bow, your own speed, are all important factors when making up a firing solution. I must admit, after five years of playing the game sporadically, I am still a novice. Lots of tutorials out there, though, and I am sure some of the old hands will help you out.

As for changing from Kiel, you can start your career with one of the other Flotillas. it would be a good thing to use SH3 Commander, which makes the pre-war shakedown cruise available and easily picking your flotilla.

Stock Academy is very forgiving, too. It's like paddling around in the kiddie pool.
Old 11-01-10, 05:38 PM   #4
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Welcome Aboard plymouth!

and good luck with your hunt!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 05:52 PM   #5
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU View Post
The only thing that I don't pay as close attention to is the range, which really doesn't affect torpedoes that run in a straight line,
In a perfect world, it wouldn't, but since SH3 has a lot of guesstimates involved, it makes a lot of sense to pay as much attention to range, too, unless it is point blank.
Old 11-01-10, 06:31 PM   #6
plymouth
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

OK! Thanks for your help. I only started using this method cos I´m using the MaGui mod (because of the great widescreen patch), but this mod doesn´t seem to include the notepad. Do you use the Gods View? It seems a little unrealistic when you can see the missile going to its destination. Any ideas why the GMX mod doesn´t deduct using the Gods view from the realism points?
Old 11-01-10, 07:07 PM   #7
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth View Post
Also, is it possible to re-base at another location apart from Kiel? Tks!
Personally I prefer to stay in tht 7/13 as you get to transfer to St. Nazaire once the French bases open without having to make another transfer in order to use that as your base. Around 43 Brest becomes nearly useless as you are a sitting duck for aircraft the moment you leave since you're so close to England, Lorient is a little better but is still bad. St. Nazaire is my personal favorite as it isn't too far south to be able to go to the North Atlantic in a VII (am trying this career using the same boat start to end) and far enough South to head into the Med until La Spezia or Salamis opens up.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual targeting, silent hunter iii