SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-21, 08:47 PM   #3406
Chazz
Watch

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

I'm getting CTD when going to the bridge. Windows 10, ubisoft download installation.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 09:00 PM   #3407
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I'm getting CTD when going to the bridge. Windows 10, ubisoft download installation.
Did you apply LAA or 4Gb Patch on sh4.exe? LAA is included in the Extras of FOTRSU.

Remember FOTRSU is for SH4 1.5, not SH4 1.4. If the UBI download is SH4 1.4, you will need 1.5 update.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 09:09 PM   #3408
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
For me, Sibutu Passage has been replete with patrols, but minimal merchant traffic in Jan / Feb 1942. I have encountered one AuxCru, innumerable fishing boats, probably over a dozen patrol craft with 2-4 at a time in the area, ranging from the ineffective, all the way through the "killer" category, with multiple throwers and racks, of which we might try to decrease the throwers so early in the war - but I digress... since editing the H6 radar, the airplanes are not near as persistent as before, so if there is nothing else I've learned from this and the Guadalcanal tests, it's that the airplanes are much more well-behaved for early and mid-war for the next release. The Attu area though, does not have many planes, and I therefore doubt if airplanes play a part. I also saw very little other traffic there. I am wondering about the amount of Save data though. I do remember doing a Save after maybe the sixth Objective, five of which I had done a Status Update to get, and the Save took a while to write. I should have Saved the Save, looking back on it... I don't even know how big it was... I'm going back in for another attempt. Last round failed to fail, and I am on the little laptop...

Edit 1700 Hours: Now I can't get it to break... which is OK also, I suppose... I'll keep trying.
Beginning to wonder, if what I experienced... wasn't a 1 off fluke... at this rate, I don't know what to say... other than I know it happened, but know that now... the objective is in the bag...

As it stands, have 7 completed objectives... & am beating feet back to Surabaya (before it gets abandoned... that is, if it doesn't before I get there... in which case will head for Freemantle I think it was that boats were told to go to after Surabaya was abandoned.)

In the bag, are 7 ships sunk, thus far... 4 merchie's & 3 warships, for a total of close to 30K tonnage... not bad, if I say so Myself... & I haven't hit base... yet, so I could possibly bag a couple more before then.

M. M.

Old 06-14-21, 09:14 PM   #3409
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Did you apply LAA or 4Gb Patch on sh4.exe? LAA is included in the Extras of FOTRSU.

Remember FOTRSU is for SH4 1.5, not SH4 1.4. If the UBI download is SH4 1.4, you will need 1.5 update.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Also important, is where do they have SH4 installed & what is there mod list.

That info can be posted by clicking on jsgme task, scroll down the menu until they get to export, hover there & let the sub menu open then select clipboard.

They can then paste that in with their reply response, back here.

Ubi's SH4 is Gold edition, which is v1.5 SH4, Fitz...

M. M.

Old 06-14-21, 09:42 PM   #3410
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Good evening Gentlemen,
Propbeanie,
I have a total complement of 100 torpedoes. 76 in front, 24 in rear. The torpedoes are mk48's that are based on German t11's. My deck gun ammo is 9,999 when full. The torpedoes were at 61 in front and 18 in the rear. my deck gun ammo was at 9,809. Like I have said before, The Normandy can level a playing field. I do use TC at times, but only up to 512. I normally never go beyond this. The exception is if I am leave from Pearl, I will use 1024 to cross the open ocean in a short amount of time. I use unlimited fuel due to the thurst the Titan has. LOL Hope this helps.

On another note, I am enjoying the direction FOTRS is going. I have done multiplayer. The bloody destroyers let go with the torpedoes, I have had at least 6 coming at me at a time. You gotta be quick and a keen eye to dive fast enough not to be hit. Those planes, wow even in normal play will not leave me alone even at night! Great job Mod team! keep it up.

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 10:39 PM   #3411
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Also important, is where do they have SH4 installed & what is there mod list.

That info can be posted by clicking on jsgme task, scroll down the menu until they get to export, hover there & let the sub menu open then select clipboard.

They can then paste that in with their reply response, back here.

Ubi's SH4 is Gold edition, which is v1.5 SH4, Fitz...

M. M.

Yes, 1.5 is Gold....But I have the original DVD 1.0 boxed (2007) and the update 1 5 Uboat missions downloaded (bought) some years ago from UBI (2008? 2009?)

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 06-15-21, 10:14 AM   #3412
HunterStriker777
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 69

Hello

I'm having issues trying to download the mod, it opens a new tab and quickly closes, but doesn't start downloading. I'm a donor, so I don't think that it's my download limit.

Many Thanks
HS777
HunterStriker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 12:03 PM   #3413
bleuduck
Nub

Downloads: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterStriker777 View Post
Hello

I'm having issues trying to download the mod, it opens a new tab and quickly closes, but doesn't start downloading. I'm a donor, so I don't think that it's my download limit.

Many Thanks
HS777
I had this problem using Google as my browser. I opened it up in Microsoft Edge and it downloaded fine.
Steve
bleuduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-21, 12:07 PM   #3414
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuduck View Post
I had this problem using Google as my browser. I opened it up in Microsoft Edge and it downloaded fine.
Steve
Yes. With Explorer or Edge works.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 06-15-21, 12:51 PM   #3415
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Yes, 1.5 is Gold....But I have the original DVD 1.0 boxed (2007) and the update 1 5 Uboat missions downloaded (bought) some years ago from UBI (2008? 2009?)

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Ahoy, Fitz..

All good chum, was mentioned as I was not sure if you were aware of that pertinent bit of info..

On that note, Steam's copy selection (for those NOT aware), is they have 2 different versions of SH4 on their end. Sh4 v1.4 & SH4 v1.5, so any that go through them to grab a copy of SH4 should be aware of this, so as to know that they are grabbing the appropriate copy to use with FotRS, & a host of other meg mods besides just FotRS.

I know that there are still some of the older flavor flaves of mod sets that do utilize v1.4 which it also behooves the user to make sure of what they are grabbing when they grab those mods, just as well as knowing what copy of SH4...
Forewarned, is forearmed, as the expression goes... & just putting that out there, in the hopes of saving them (other sub sim players & mod users, so that they are indeed aware of this pertinent info...) any grief they may face when they go to wondering why things are not working as they should.

As always, I hope that this info is found to be helpful.

Sincerely...

M. M.

Old 06-15-21, 11:39 PM   #3416
GrayWolf3rdXO
Watch

Downloads: 35
Default Help with installing

Wher do I put the files? Im so confused!
Old 06-16-21, 12:43 AM   #3417
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

HunterStriker777! & bleuduck!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:45 PM   #3418
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf3rdXO View Post
Wher do I put the files? Im so confused!
Doing mods can be confusing initially. You'll be an old-hand at it before long though.

First of all, for all new downloaders / players, there are instructions on the first page of the thread here, also on the download page, and there are pdf files in the Support folder of the mod, and you should be able to find all levels of 'detail' from "not enough", all the way beyond "verbosity reigns supreme". All of that said, there are a few pre-requisites to deal with:
1. The game must be v1.5 - with the U-Boats - if you don't have a choice for a German Career on the menu, then you have the wrong version of SH4.
2. You must not install the game in a Windows "Program Files" folder, but rather in a folder outside of that, even if you have a Steam version - you must move the game out of "Program Files".
3. You MUST have DirectX 9.0c and its Codecs installed. If not, run the game's installation routine again and install those components also. You do NOT need Game Shadow nor Adobe Acrobat.
If all of the above applies, then either navigate into the game folder (ie: "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4") and create a "MODS" folder, or run JSGME if you have it available, and create a MODS folder there. Download or copy the 7zip mod file there. Extract the file with 7-zip, which will take a couple of minutes. Once it is finished extracting, open the FotRSU mod folder, then the "Extras" folder, and find the copy of JSGME.exe there. Copy it, and then paste it into the game folder, where the SH4.exe file is. Run JSGME, and if you hadn't already, point it to the MODS folder with the FotRSU mod you extracted. Select the mod name in the left window, and press the ">" right arrow in the middle of the JSGME window, and it will start the activation process. This will take several minutes. You have time to go get a cup of coffee. Maybe even brew a pot, if your computer and drives are a pinch on the slow side. After that, you need to make certain that the SH4.exe file is not "Read-only", as found on its "Properties" settings (right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties" from that menu). If it is properly write-enabled, then use "Large Address Aware.exe", which JSGME should have placed in the game folder, and direct to the SH4.exe file, and set the SH4 file to "True", so that Windows will allow it more of your RAM.

If you have previously played the game, you will have to empty the Save folder, which is usually "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", so that the game will create a new version with the mod information applied. Using MultiSH4 will allow you to assign a unique name to a Save folder so that you can have several copies of SH4 on the same machine, and each have its own Save folder. Any other questions, just "shout", and someone will help.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:56 PM   #3419
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Question..

Ahoy, propbeanie...
Am on patrol 3, same boat, Sargo class, sailed out from Surabaya, right before the shake up with sub command (SowWestPac, falling under ComSubsSowWesPac iirc that message, exactly.. ) right after that, got message stating that Surabaya had been abandoned. Before sailing, got orders to go to area E3 & await further orders.

On arrival in the area (close enough to trigger a flash radio traffic message, that is...) got orders to sink enemy targets & on having full autonomy in order to accomplish said task.

Ok, now that this info is out of the way & disclosed... My query is this...

With said orders, do I have to stay in that general area, to sink a ship (preferably big enough to trigger the completion bell on it, that is... ) & complete that objective.? Or, can you motivate to any other areas to complete said task objective..?

Inquiring minds, wanna know...

As it is, is a lot of area there, that is not deep enough to go to even peri depth... much less area big enough... (much less deep enough, to even attempt to crash dive... ) & had encounters with 2... F1M Pete's, thus far... managed to shoot 1 down... the other danced away, looking like the Burning Man... & laughing at Me the entirety of its exiting the area.

1 bone of contention I have on this... & know that there is some failings on Ubi's part here... is that aircraft, afire... have a high propensity, to do that maneuver... fly off into the sunset blazing like a Viking funeral pyre... & not die... Ugh.

As I recall, some ships end up doing that very same thing. As if that, in itself, was NOT bad enough... then there is the crewman you tell to man the flak gun... just firing off 1 short burst... & then, sits there, like a bump on a log, just staring away at the incoming aircraft... the guy's rated like 91 on Guns.. yet... does that. Ugh, if I didn't know better, would swear they were an IJN sympathizer...

As I recall, didn't TDW do a mod that was supposed to make it where aircraft & ships, didn't just dance away, scot free from blowing up or sinking from fire damage... but would either crash in the case with aircraft, or sink in the case for ships... *sighs*

sorry, it's... just frustrating, to watch a target just dance off into the sunset, burning away fiercely & having it not die... after you risked damages to shot the sucker down... when you aren't able to do the submerge & hide maneuver...

Any way, any info on that, would be greatly appreciated on the sink with autonomy query...

Thanks...

M. M.

Old 06-16-21, 02:14 PM   #3420
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

@ Comder and Mad Mardigan, as well as all others interested:

I think I found the issue... After giving up on the testing yesterday evening, attempting to find the issue with Objectives not completing, and failing, I went back to testing for a Preview Release of the next version. Yesterday evening and night, I never had a fail the whole time, quitting after testing a mid-war Salmon. This morning, I continued with the Salmon testing, no problems, and moved to the Sargo. Two tries and "boom!" - CTD. Hmmm... Checked the mission - all OK. Check the sub - all OK. Check the conn - all OK. Check the guns etc. - all OK... Re-start the game, do the same Start, boat, date, etc., and no problem

Continued testing. No further issue with the Sargo, so I went into the Narwhal. Third start test and "Boom!" - CTD... what thuh?... same tests as for the Sargo, and all looks fine. Re-start the game, same Start and all ran fine...

So I dug further into the files, double & triple checking them all... nothing. So I started at the beginning with the Narwhal again, doing a Jan 42 start, then a July 42, Jan 43, Oct 43 and all are fine... then a Jan 44 start and "Boom!" - CTD!!! Then it dawns on me... I have not been re-starting the game between these starts. If I do re-starts, I never have a bit of trouble. This is similar to if you change game "modes". You should not go from Single Mission to War Patrol, or Museum to Career, etc., so it stands to reason that doing several "Starts" in a row would be similar. I was overloading the game's memory. The Narwhal seems to be a bit of a memory hog, and it really pushes things to the limit...

So I went back into the game, did four starts without exiting, then I did my big "Test" mission, and presto! It did not complete the 2nd mission Objective. So I did a re-start, and low and behold, no problem. If I exit the game after every Save, I have no problem. So think back on your game play, and see if you can remember how often you did a re-start... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote