SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-23, 08:08 PM   #4696
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

10 June 1864, Maximilian I of Austria becomes Mexican Emperor. France's Napoleon III offered it to him after the 1861 French invasion. He ruled until June 19, 1867.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-23, 10:43 AM   #4697
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 1944, Douet area, France. D-Day + 5. Private Wheatley from 6 Durham Light Infantry firing his Bren gun.

Google maps present day

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-11-23 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-11-23, 10:48 AM   #4698
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 1775: The first naval battle of American Revolutionary War occurs. The Yanks capture the Margaretta at Battle of Machias in Maine.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-11-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-11-23, 10:57 AM   #4699
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 173. During the First Marcomannic War, Marcus Aurelius defeats the Quadi after the "miracle of rain." Romans were outnumbered and almost surrendered because of heat and thirst. Rains refreshed the Romans as lightning struck the Quadi army.

Old 06-11-23, 10:59 AM   #4700
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 1902, President Roosevelt spoke at the centennial celebration of West Point. “During that century no other educational institution in the land has contributed as many names as West Point to the honor roll of the nation's greatest citizens.”

Old 06-11-23, 11:12 AM   #4701
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool How to invert a scutum and imbibe 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Rains refreshed the Romans as lightning struck the Quadi army.
Nothing like having a 'thunderbolt from Jupiter' smite the heathen Quadi to raise morale along the Danube... clearly a case of blitzkrieg warfare... The Legio LEGO imbibing:http://www.bricktothepast.com/upload...-2048_orig.jpg
Quote:
"For when the Romans were in peril in the course of the battle, the divine power saved them in a most unexpected manner. The Quadi had surrounded them at a spot favorable for their purpose and the Romans were fighting valiantly with their shields locked together; then the barbarians ceased fighting, expecting to capture them easily as the result of the heat and their thirst. So they posted guards all about and hemmed them in to prevent their getting water anywhere; for the barbarians were far superior in numbers. The Romans, accordingly, were in a terrible plight from fatigue, wounds, the heat of the sun, and thirst, and so could neither fight nor retreat, but were standing and the line and at their several posts, scorched by the heat, when suddenly many clouds gathered and a mighty rain, not without divine interposition, burst upon them. Indeed, there is a story to the effect that Harnuphis, an Egyptian magician, who was a companion of Marcus, had invoked by means of enchantments various deities and in particular Mercury, the god of the air, and by this means attracted the rain."
Quote:
Relief on the column of Marcus Aurelius with the whole stage No. XVI commemorating the so-called the “miracle of rain” that took place during the battle fought by the Romans with the barbaric Quadi during the Marcomannic Wars. On the right side, there is a bearded figure floating in the air with wings spread wide (arms) from which streams of water flow down for thirsty Roman soldiers. On the left, on the left, are Roman legionaries catching rain falling on inverted shields.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-11-23 at 11:50 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-23, 12:28 PM   #4702
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1900 David Beatty and 150 men from HMS Barfleur land as part of a force of 2,400 defending Tientsin from 15,000 Chinese troops plus Boxers.

1939 King and Queen of England taste 1st "hot dogs" at FDR's party.

1940 World War II: First attack of the Italian Air force on the island of Malta.

1944 15 US aircraft carriers attack Japanese bases on Marianas.

1987 Margaret Thatcher is 1st British Prime Minister in 160 years to win a third consecutive term.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-23, 03:29 PM   #4703
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 1509: English King Henry VIII marries his first of six wives, Catherine of Aragon. Henry’s attempt to have the marriage annulled led to the English Reformation and the separation of the Church of England from Rome.

This mug shot reminds of those Aktungbby posted of himself

Old 06-11-23, 06:47 PM   #4704
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

11 June 1776, the Continental Congress appointed John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Robert Livingston and Roger Sherman to a committee to draft a declaration of independence.

Old 06-11-23, 06:50 PM   #4705
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Fraction is inevitable, it’s only common decency which holds things together by a thread.

“[The spirit of party] agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection.” - President Washington in his Farewell Address, 1796

Old 06-11-23, 08:16 PM   #4706
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar

This mug shot reminds of those Aktungbby posted of himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Fraction is inevitable, it’s only common decency which holds things together by a thread.
not in this thread it seems!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-23, 08:43 AM   #4707
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

12 June 1665: New Amsterdam becomes an English colony and is reincorporated as New York City. On Sept. 8, 1664, the Dutch gave up the settlement after British troops occupied it. It was named after the English Duke of York, who becomes King James II.

1939, The term "World War I" is coined by Time magazine. In the same article, the term "World War II" is first used to describe what many thought was the upcoming war.

1939, Baseball Hall of Fame is dedicated in Cooperstown, NY. Hotelier Stephen Clark opened it to bring tourists to the city hurt by the Depression. First inductees were Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, and Walter Johnson.

Old 06-12-23, 08:54 AM   #4708
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
not in this thread it seems!
It’s the beard

Old 06-12-23, 12:20 PM   #4709
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1665 New Amsterdam legally becomes an English colony and renamed New York after English Duke of York.

1908 Lusitania crosses Atlantic in record 4 days 15 hours (NYC)

1944 1st V-1 rocket assault on London.

1942 Anne Frank gets her diary as a birthday present in Amsterdam.

1964 Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life in prison in South Africa.

1973 Coleraine bombings: six Protestant civilians were killed and 33 wounded by a Provisional Irish Republican Army car bomb in Coleraine, County Londonderry.

1982 Battle of Mount Longdon Falkland Islands.

2018 Singapore summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump - first time a North Korean leader and an incumbent US President have ever met.

Old 06-13-23, 08:51 AM   #4710
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1881 The USS Jeannette, under the command of George Washington De Long, sinks in the Arctic circle following 21 months of drifting after becoming trapped in the ice.

1917 World War I: the deadliest German air raid on London during World War I is carried out by Gotha G bombers and results in 162 deaths, including 46 children with 432 injuries.

1920 US Post Office says children cannot be sent by parcel post (after various instances)

1933 German Secret State Police (Gestapo - Geheime Staats Polizei) established by Hermann Goering.

1942 1st V-2 rocket launch, Peenemunde, Germany; reached 1.3 km

1942 Germany lands 4 saboteurs on Long Island.

1951 UN arm forces reach Pyongyang Korea.

1972 The Irish Republican Army invites British Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Willie Whitelaw to 'Free Derry'; Whitelaw rejects offer and reaffirms his policy to not "let part of the United Kingdom ... default from the rule of law"

2000 South Korean President Kim Dae-jung meets leader of North Korea Kim Jong-il, for the beginning of the first ever inter-Korea summit, in the northern capital of Pyongyang.