SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-20, 07:23 AM   #3151
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1912 Italian forces are the first to use airships for military purposes, using them for reconnaissance behind Turkish lines.

1915 World War I: The LZ 33, a zeppelin, is damaged by enemy fire and stranded south of Ostend.

1936 Spitfire makes its first flight (Eastleigh Aerodrome in Southampton)

1946 Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech in Fulton, Missouri, popularizes the term and draws attention to the division of Europe.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:36 AM   #3152
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1836 Battle of the Alamo: After 13 days of fighting 1,500-3,000 Mexican soldiers overwhelm the Texan defenders, killing 182-257 Texans including William Travis, Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett.

1918 US naval boat "Cyclops" disappears in Bermuda Triangle.

1988 3 IRA suspects shot dead in Gibraltar by SAS officers.

1990 SR-71 sets a transcontinental record, flying 2,404 miles in 1:08:17

Old 03-07-20, 07:27 AM   #3153
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1912 Roald Amundsen announces discovery of the South Pole.

1918 President Woodrow Wilson authorizes US Army's Distinguished Service Medal.

1936 Adolf Hitler breaks the Treaty of Versailles by sending troops into the Rhineland.

1942 15 Mk-VB Spitfires reach Malta.

1942 First cadets graduated from flying school at Tuskegee.

1945 US 9th Armoured Division attacks Remagen Germany, crosses Rhine.

1946 Bikini Atoll islanders are evacuated by the US government to make way for a nuclear testing site.

1974 "USS Monitor", Union Ship sunk in 1862 during US Civil War, restored at Cape Hatteras.

Old 03-08-20, 09:40 AM   #3154
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 First US navy minelayer, Baltimore, commissioned.

1943 335 allied bombers attack German city of Nuremberg, a centre for military production.

1961 US nuclear submarine Patrick Henry arrives at Scottish naval base of Holy Loch from South Carolina in a record underseas journey of 66 days 22 hrs

2014 Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 with 239 people loses contact and disappears, prompting the most expensive search effort in history and one of the most enduring aviation mysteries.

Old 03-09-20, 09:04 AM   #3155
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1925 Pink's War, the first RAF operation conducted independently of the Army or Navy, begins.

1935 Adolf Hitler publicly announces the creation of a new air force, the Luftwaffe.

1945 334 US B-29 Superfortresses attack Tokyo with 120,000 fire bombs.

1974 Last Japanese soldier, a guerrilla operating in Philippines, surrenders, 29 years after World War II ended.

Old 03-10-20, 02:33 PM   #3156
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1920 Home Rule Act passed by the British Parliament, dividing Ireland into two parts; it is rejected by the southern counties, where the Ango-Irish war continues for a year.

1927 Bavaria lifts ban on Adolf Hitler's speeches.

1944 U-575 sinks British corvette HMS Asphodel in the Atlantic Ocean killing 92 of the 97 men aboard.

1945 Tokyo on fire after night time B-29 bombings, more than 100,000 people die, mostly civilians.

1966 North Vietnamese capture US Green Beret Camp at Ashau Valley.

Old 03-11-20, 10:24 AM   #3157
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 The British declare a blockade of all German ports.

1918 First confirmed cases of the Spanish Flu in the US are reported at Fort Riley, Kansas.

1935 Hermann Goering officially creates the Luftwaffe (German Air Force)

1958 American B-47 accidentally drops nuclear bomb 15,000 ft on a family home in Mars Bluff, South Carolina; creates crater 75 ft across, bomb without its nuclear capsule.

2013 North Korea cuts the phone line with South Korea, breaching the 1953 armistice.

2018 China's National People's Congress approves removal of term limits for a leader, will allow Xi Jinping presidency for life.

Old 03-12-20, 07:36 AM   #3158
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1894 Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time in a candy store in Vicksburg, Mississippi.

1909 Alarmed over increasing German naval strength, Parliament passes a new naval appropriations bill.

1916 French airship mistakenly attacks and sinks British submarine D3 with loss of all hands.

1917 A German submarine sinks an unarmed US merchant ship, the 'Algonquin' on the same day that US President Woodrow Wilson gives executive order to arm US merchant ships.

1940 Finland signs the Moscow Peace Treaty in Moscow, surrendering to Russia and ceding 11% of their pre-WWII territory, ending the "Winter War"

1999 Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO.

2018 British Prime Minister Theresa May says Russia was "highly likely" to have poisoned a Russian spy and his daughter on March 4 with nerve agent.

2019 More than 3,000 ISIS fighters have surrendered amid battle for last ISIS stronghold in Baghouz, Syria, according to Syrian Democratic Forces officials.

Old 03-12-20, 12:01 PM   #3159
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1894 Coca-Cola is sold in bottles for the first time in a candy store in Vicksburg, Mississippi.
106 years later: I still have a glass Coke bottle in the fridge! I re-discovered "the real thing" on a 2010 movie shoot caterer's truck?!, 'Made in Jalisco', Mexico with cane sugar! not with awful American style corn-syrup in aluminum lined cans or disgusting plastic bottles; just like how I recalled from the 50's & 60's of my youth...plus it just goes better with Nelson's Blood rum! Or, over a tall ice-filled glass with a squeezed lemon wedge(from my Louisiana trukkin' days)...and u can recycle the bottles too!
Quote:
Although intended for consumption in Mexico, Mexican Coca-Cola has become popular in the United States because of a flavor that Coca-Cola fans call more "natural tasting''.While many believe the primary difference in flavor between Mexican Coca-Cola and the American Coca-Cola formula is that Mexican Coke is sweetened using cane sugar (which was standard for American Coca-Cola until the early 1980s) as opposed to high-fructose corn syrup, Adding to the nostalgia factor, the Mexican Coca-Cola glass bottle does not have a twist-off cap (for plastic bottles) or a pull-tab (for cans). A bottle opener is required to drink the bottle's contents.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-13-20 at 10:22 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 10:03 AM   #3160
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1905 Mata Hari first performs her dance act at the Guimet Museum, Paris.

1933 Joseph Goebbels becomes Nazi Germany's Minister of Information and Propaganda.

1943 Failed assassin attempt on Adolf Hitler during Smolensk-Rastenburg flight.

1943 Nazis liquidate the Jewish ghetto in Kraków; Oskar Schindler with advance information, saves his workers by keeping them in his factory overnight.

2019 US grounds all Boeing 737 Max aircraft after bans by others countries following the plane type's second crash in Ethiopia.

Old 03-14-20, 10:53 AM   #3161
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 German cruiser Dresden scuttled off Más a Tierra, Chile, having been pursued by the Royal Navy after the Battle of the Falkland Islands, with her engines worn out and virtually no coal.

1918 First concrete ship to cross the Atlantic (Faith) is launched in San Francisco.

1943 World War II: Kraków Ghetto is "liquidated"

1973 Future US senator John McCain is released after spending over five years in a North Vietnamese prisoner of war camp.

2013 Xi Jinping is named as the new President of the People's Republic of China.

Old 03-15-20, 09:35 AM   #3162
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

44 BC Julius Caesar is stabbed to death by Brutus, Cassius and several other Roman senators on the Ides of March in Rome.

1922 France, which up until now has insisted on currency for all WWI reparation payments from Germany, now accepts raw materials as payment.

1930 First streamlined submarine of US navy, USS Nautilus, launched.

1939 Reneging on his pledge in the Munich Agreement, Adolf Hitler and Germany occupy and annex Czechoslovakia.

1940 Hermann Goering says 100-200 church bells enough for Germany, smelt the rest.

1951 UN forces recapture Seoul, the fourth and final time the city changes hands in the Korean War.

1957 Great Britain becomes the third nation to explode a nuclear bomb.

2019 Climate change strikes held by school children take place around the world inspired by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg.

Old 03-15-20, 12:22 PM   #3163
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 HOW TO GET RID OF RATS & FERAL CATS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
44 BC Julius Caesar is stabbed to death by Brutus, Cassius and several other Roman senators on the Ides of March in Rome. FROM WHICH WE GET TO FAMOUS QUIPS: ''A STRANGE THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM'' ''ET TU BRUTE?'' & ''BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH''!

1940 Hermann Goering says 100-200 church bells enough for Germany, smelt the rest. IN HINDSIGHT, IF U HAVE TO MELT DOWN YOUR CHURCHBELLS FOR 20TH CENTURY WARFARE....PERHAPS U SHOULDN'T GO TO WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE!

1957 Great Britain becomes the third nation to explode a nuclear bomb.
NOT GOOD FOR LITTLE BROWN PEOPLE AS WITH THE US TEST IN THE PACIFIC ISLAND https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2652044&postcount=3146 ...STILL CONTAMINATED TO THIS DAY:
Quote:
Two more nuclear tests were conducted in the Monte Bello Islands as part of Operation Mosaic in 1956, the detonations taking place on Alpha and Trimouille Islands. By the 1980s the radioactivity had decayed to the point where it was no longer hazardous to the casual visitor, but there were still radioactive metal fragments containing cobalt-60, the remains of Plym, The island remained a prohibited area until 1992. A 2006 zoological survey found that the wildlife had recovered, and that the Aprasia rostrata, the legless lizard discovered by Hill, was not extinct. As part of the Gorgon gas project, rats and feral cats were eradicated from the Monte Bello Islands in 2009, and birds and marsupials were transplanted from nearby Barrow Island to Hermite Island. Today, the Monte Bello Islands are a park. Visitors are advised not to spend more than an hour per day at the test sites, or to take relics of the tests as souvenirs.
ALONG WITH PRINCESS CRUISES & BOEING 737 MAX AIRPLANES ....NOT ON MY TO-DO BUCKET LIST LIST https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hurricane

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-20, 09:19 AM   #3164
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1915 British battle cruisers Inflexible & Irresistible hit mines in Dardanelles.

1935 Adolf Hitler orders German re-armament in violation of The Treaty of Versailles.

1944 French Vichy Internal minister Pierre Pucheu sentenced to death for treason.

1945 Würzburg, Germany is 90% destroyed, with 5,000 dead, in only 20 minutes by British bombers.

1955 President Eisenhower upholds the use of atomic weapons in case of war.

Old 03-17-20, 09:05 AM   #3165
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1932 German police raid Adolf Hitler's Nazi headquarters.

1938 The Italian Air Force, in support of Francisco Franco, bombs Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War.

1966 US submarine locates missing H-bomb in Mediterranean.

1995 Sinn-Fein leader Gerry Adams visits White House.