SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-22, 06:14 PM   #1
Mouse
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Yamato during Midway

Coming back from patrol I found myself re-fueling at Midway on June 2nd, 1942. Since my patrol was done I decided to join the Battle of Midway. On the morning of June 3rd I got notification of a Task Force coming due East and fast.

There were two Shōkaku class and two Hiryū class carriers. OK so some ships that were not actually at the battle, but A for effort. I got in front of it and managed to get a Shōkaku and a Kongo class Battleship blundered in my torps towards one of the Hiryū. Went deep and after a massive thrashing managed to evade to the west. Then I decided that since I found their version of Kidō Butai that I may be able to find Yamamoto' Main Body. I had a rough idea of where it should be, but after searching for two days, even after I got notified of the retreat of the remains of Kidō Butai I found nothing.

I started to wonder and figured I would ask, has anyone managed to find the Yamato during Midway?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 07:17 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Coming back from patrol I found myself re-fueling at Midway on June 2nd, 1942. Since my patrol was done I decided to join the Battle of Midway. On the morning of June 3rd I got notification of a Task Force coming due East and fast.

There were two Shōkaku class and two Hiryū class carriers. OK so some ships that were not actually at the battle, but A for effort. I got in front of it and managed to get a Shōkaku and a Kongo class Battleship blundered in my torps towards one of the Hiryū. Went deep and after a massive thrashing managed to evade to the west. Then I decided that since I found their version of Kidō Butai that I may be able to find Yamamoto' Main Body. I had a rough idea of where it should be, but after searching for two days, even after I got notified of the retreat of the remains of Kidō Butai I found nothing.

I started to wonder and figured I would ask, has anyone managed to find the Yamato during Midway?

Yes, but it depends on what version/mods you are running. If running the stock/out of the box game, then likely no as the traffic is not very historical and never recall seeing the force with the Yamato in the mission files.

I know for a fact it is in my TMO Update mod , as part of the campaign rework I added a lot of historical traffic, especially major warships such as Yamato. In fact most of Yamato and Musashi's historical movements were recreated from start of war until their sinkings using records.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 07:21 PM   #3
Mouse
Watch

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yes, but it depends on what version/mods you are running. If running the stock/out of the box game, then likely no as the traffic is not very historical and never recall seeing the force with the Yamato in the mission files.

I know for a fact it is in my TMO Update mod , as part of the campaign rework I added a lot of historical traffic, especially major warships such as Yamato. In fact most of Yamato and Musashi's historical movements were recreated from start of war until their sinkings using records.
I am using and loving TMO, though I admit I die a LOT more.
Old 08-16-22, 07:28 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I am using and loving TMO, though I admit I die a LOT more.
Nice. yes TMO is a bit more difficult by design.

Are you using TMO or TMO Update BH?

TMO Update BH is my mod, a update for TMO since the creator is not longer active in the community and had been some time since TMO was updated.

TMO Update BH has the Yamato force at Midway, pretty much in its historical positions. Force stayed a bit north of the action, then tried to close carriers at night. Can be difficult to intercept lol I had trouble locating it in testing of mod but did find it. Yamato Class is toughest target in the mod as it was reworke. Let me put it this way, I've only outright sunk it once and only after my six torpedoes crippled it, took another 10 to finish it off (if I recall correctly) Pretty much every major battle and many minor engagements are historically recreated in the update. See README for details (if have not already)

TMO BH (if dont already have it)

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...250635&page=71
Old 08-16-22, 09:15 PM   #5
Mouse
Watch

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Nice. yes TMO is a bit more difficult by design.

Are you using TMO or TMO Update BH?

TMO Update BH is my mod, a update for TMO since the creator is not longer active in the community and had been some time since TMO was updated.

TMO Update BH has the Yamato force at Midway, pretty much in its historical positions. Force stayed a bit north of the action, then tried to close carriers at night. Can be difficult to intercept lol I had trouble locating it in testing of mod but did find it. Yamato Class is toughest target in the mod as it was reworke. Let me put it this way, I've only outright sunk it once and only after my six torpedoes crippled it, took another 10 to finish it off (if I recall correctly) Pretty much every major battle and many minor engagements are historically recreated in the update. See README for details (if have not already)

TMO BH (if dont already have it)

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...250635&page=71
I had not known about the BH version and was using the last TMO that Decimus ( I think that was his name) had done. I am very impressed by what you posted and can't wait to try it. May make starting in Cavat fun again. I learned quickly to ignore orders to new patrol areas when my fuel is low because it seems the game does not register your fuel at all in calculating patrol areas.

Downloading this and already uninstalled and starting a fresh install.

Thank You
Old 08-17-22, 09:53 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

You'll find the TMOwTW is a bit easier. I gave up on TMO, I'm just a deck swabby playing it.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 01:49 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I had not known about the BH version and was using the last TMO that Decimus ( I think that was his name) had done. I am very impressed by what you posted and can't wait to try it. May make starting in Cavat fun again. I learned quickly to ignore orders to new patrol areas when my fuel is low because it seems the game does not register your fuel at all in calculating patrol areas.

Downloading this and already uninstalled and starting a fresh install.

Thank You

Good luck In some ways you will find TMO Update easier, AI is tough as ever but the damage model and depth charges have been reworked as explained in README and can pull off realistic night surface attacks, so if operating in shallow waters for example don't have to risk diving in most situations.
Old 08-17-22, 01:51 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
You'll find the TMOwTW is a bit easier. I gave up on TMO, I'm just a deck swabby playing it.

Have you tried the TMO Update V2.0? While AI is tough as ever ,it is a bit easier to survive, I have not been killed nearly as often as was in regular TMO. Damage model was reworked to be more historically accurate, can pull off night surface attacks in historical manner.
Old 08-18-22, 06:04 PM   #9
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Yamato or Yamamoto? Both are mentioned
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 07:16 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Yamato or Yamamoto? Both are mentioned

Admiral Yamamoto was aboard the battleship Yamato during the battle.
Old 08-18-22, 07:47 PM   #11
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

roger dodger, I did wonder v
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 12:55 AM   #12
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Have you tried the TMO Update V2.0? While AI is tough as ever ,it is a bit easier to survive, I have not been killed nearly as often as was in regular TMO. Damage model was reworked to be more historically accurate, can pull off night surface attacks in historical manner.
I'm not sure. I'lll have to check. Thank you Sir! Bubblehead I've tried downloading it twice tonight regular download, it gets to the end and says it download failed. Suggestion?

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 08-19-22 at 01:31 AM.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote