SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-12, 02:09 PM   #1
pcohen
Shore leave

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default MSDOS Urgent HELP Please

Hi everybody, looking for some Help Please.

I have a Packard Bell Computer and a Packard Bell Laptop.

I have a Subsim Game Called Silent Hunter Commanders Edition V1.31. Which Originally Worked Perfectly On Both Systems Using WindowsXP Pro.

Recently I decided I would like to run these Games Again, and Re-installed them on my Computer using the Excellent Tutorial by Don Wells for Installing this Game under MSdos.

This Worked Perfectly well for my Computer as it did the Last time I used it.

However, when it Came to the doing the Same on my Laptop Where it worked before ( Which is where I want the game to Be ) I encountered the following Problem, Copied and Pasted below from Don Wells Tutorial :-

"
Now we arrive at the screen which was the reason for the memory configuration documented above for the Silent Hunter Install NTVDM shortcut. The column under the word 'SATISFIED' should have all 'YES' responses to the nine requirements. The DOS based installation program would typically have a 'NO' response for the requirement #2, Extended Memory under the default WinXP NTVDM. The DOS era installation program is looking for 7,000 KB of Extended memory, but does not use the BIOS supplied Int 15/AH=88h "GET EXTENDED MEMORY SIZE" API function (which is unreliable with some BIOS) to determine the amount of Extended memory which is defined as the memory above one megabyte. The Silent Hunter version 1.0 (DPMI) program actually needs a minimum of 7,000+ KB of Extended memory to function properly, and around 15,000 KB for the update version 1.31 (DPMI) executable.
The Silent Hunter installation program takes a different approach to determine the amount of Extended memory present, it inquires of any XMS driver present the amount of XMS memory available. XMS memory is defined as Extended memory under the control of an XMS memory manager, typically loaded in the mid-1990s as the DOS device driver "HiMem.Sys". Windows XP provides an emulated XMS v2.77 memory manager as part of the NTVDM services. The installation program then equates XMS memory reported with the Extended memory present (limited to 16 MB) in the PC which the DPMI executable requires. The DPMI host does not require an XMS manager to function, it's just that the programmers who wrote the "System Detection" portion of the installation program took an easy way out to determine the amount of Extended memory present for use by the Silent Hunter DPMI executable."

Everthing before Said YES to the Nine Items required to run this Game, the Word "NO" was never An Option.

Don Wells Tutorial says to open MSDos Properties,( Already Created as a new Shortcut on the Desktop, Correctly Named and Titled ) open Memory Tab and set all options to AUTO and as Above the XMS Memory Says "NO" which originally Said "YES".
I have tried to change XMS MEMORY from AUTO to a higher Number but without Success.

I have also tried running this Program through DosBox and D-Fend reloaded which does work but can never find the exe. to start it again.

I would prefer to run it with MSDos as it can be started straight from the Desktop without any hassle.
Anybody have any help or suggestions PLEASE.

Many thanks.

Regards

Paul

P.S. Am I in the right Forum Please.

Last edited by pcohen; 01-22-12 at 04:21 PM.
pcohen is offline   Reply With Quote