SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-11, 03:47 PM   #1
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default There she goes

You know it's one of those days when you start your day an hour late because your alarm was turned off, and what wakes you is your boss calling you. Follow it up with getting stung by a wasp while at work, and the boss yelling at you and screwing up your schedule, and by the time you get home all you want to do is relax and forget the whole day.

I personally was hoping to escape into Cyrodiil or play some Alpha Protocol after buying it for a cheap $3.99 the night before.

So I whip out the old laptop and press the power button to bring it out of hibernation. I get a black screen informing me that windows can not be resumed from its last state due to an error of some kind.

I hit enter, the computer restarts and I get a window informing me that windows did not start properly. I'm given the option to either Start windows normally or run Windows repair. I choose start Windows normally and actually get into my user, but everything is running extremely low, even simple tasks like opening the start bar, so I tell the computer to restart, and Windows fail to load the second time around. Things aren't starting to look good.

Computer restarts for the 3rd time and I get the option to run the Repair or start windows normally, hoping it's not too late I opt for the repair option. I get a bar loading the necessary files, and then an hour of just black screen. Several restarts later I don't even get the bar anymore. My computer is gone.

I'm hoping it's just a OS problem, and that my hard drive hasn't failed. I'm about to put in a Windows 7 cd and I hope that I can repair the problem with the disk just so I can get my important information out.

Either way I'm going to do a fresh install of windows(hard drive allowing), but it's going to suck losing my music and other important files.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-24-11, 06:43 PM   #2
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Fuuuu---

My hard drive was the issue. Windows Install kept hanging indefinately with the built in one. I pull out a 40gig HDD that used to belong to my ps3, and the install starts right up.

On one hand I have my computer back, on the other I dont have any of my old information or music.

I also only have 20gigs worth of space until I buy a new HDD.

Although I could be cheap and just take the 500gig out of the ps3 and put the 40gig back in. But that seems like more hassle than is needed.
Old 09-24-11, 07:04 PM   #3
magicstix
Captain

Downloads: 1

A 3TB drive is like, $70 these days, so they're pretty cheap.

If you have the OS up and running on the PS3 drive, put the "failed" drive into the machine as a second storage drive and see if you can pull your important files off of it.
magicstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 07:17 PM   #4
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicstix View Post
A 3TB drive is like, $70 these days, so they're pretty cheap.

If you have the OS up and running on the PS3 drive, put the "failed" drive into the machine as a second storage drive and see if you can pull your important files off of it.

I can't get anything over 800gig as the laptop requires a 2.5" drive, and they only go up to 800gig. $80 dollars will get me 750gigs worth of space. Hopefully I can find something at my local tiger direct/compusa so I don't have to wait for shipping and handling.

I'll try and put the failed drive into the external enclosure I had the 40gig in and hopefully I can retrieve the files.