SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-11, 08:13 PM   #1
Gato76
Planesman

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Monitor upgrade

I am ready to upgrade my 22 inch monitor,i want to get a 27 inches,like Asus278q or Samsung s27A350h.Now my question is;does
anyone here use such a big monitor,i'll be using this monitor mainly for gaming and watching movies,but i'm afraid it might be to
big since a like to seat close to my monitor,also i hear the image quality is better on smaller screen monitors due to pixel
pitch.The smaller the pixel pitch the sharper the image will appear on the monitor,or should i get a 24 inch monitor.
Gato76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 10:47 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've been using a 28" HannsG for around a year, and love it.

Old 09-02-11, 11:29 PM   #3
jay3773
Nub

Downloads: 72

Smaller LED/LCD would serve better, perhaps the 24 inch would be ideal, opt for Samsung.
jay3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 01:52 PM   #4
Gato76
Planesman

Downloads: 82

Steve and Jay thanks for replay,i went to my local compusa and test a 27 inch with a Samsung 24 side by side,i end up getting the samsung the image quality was more sharp compare with the bigger one.Thanx to u both 4 the advice
Gato76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 05:02 PM   #5
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I've been using a 28" HannsG for around a year, and love it.

AAAH! I've been looking at this one for a couple of days as it seems to be the only 16:10 ratio available larger than 24". Cheap for it's size as well.

Now, I've seen a whole bunch of reviews from people saying they really like it but I've also seen a few reviews from people I respect saying to stay away from HannsG, and that their after service guarantee isn't great. HOw do you find the colours and contrast? I know that the brightness out of the box needs turned down but aside from that any problems at all? It's got my attention and I'm leaning towards it but something keeps stopping me from going ahead and buying it.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 06:35 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I can't tell you anything technical, but I've never had a problem with it and like it just fine. I've also read the negative reviews and they were usually pretty specific, with white pixels and other problems, so there may be a fairly high percentage of duds. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, so I can't say all those folks are wrong, just that I'm happy with mine.
Old 11-29-11, 10:23 PM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
AAAH! I've been looking at this one for a couple of days as it seems to be the only 16:10 ratio available larger than 24".
Funny you mention that, I was about to suggest not getting a 16:10 ratio but 16:9, one of the reasons is that the widescreen mod for SH3 only works on 16:9 monitors. I have a Samsung 24", very happy with it except for the widescreen issue.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 10:42 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Funny you mention that, I was about to suggest not getting a 16:10 ratio but 16:9, one of the reasons is that the widescreen mod for SH3 only works on 16:9 monitors. I have a Samsung 24", very happy with it except for the widescreen issue.
I, on the other hand, have never noticed the difference with the standard SH3 ratios. I'm blind, crazy, or both.
Old 11-30-11, 01:22 PM   #9
Egan
Admiral

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a bit annoyed because when I first started scouting out a new monitor a few months ago there were quite a few 16:10 format monitors on the market that were affordable. I might leave it until after Christmas now and see if either Scan UK or Ebuyer have any deals in the new year. The HannsG looks pretty good, though. I'll definitely keep it in mind. Going for a 16:9 monitor would definitely be the easiest option though.

I'm in no rush. The HP monitor I bought about 6 years ago is still in perfect condition. The GF doesn't even understand why I want a new one. Part of me doesn't either but after seeing a friends big widescreen monitor running it kind of made a mark on me.
Old 11-30-11, 03:43 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I can understand that. I bought a used 19" CRT monitor used back in 2006, and it never let me down. I just wanted something bigger (and with no huge vacuum tube taking up all that space behind). I was considering a 32" TV until someone talked me out of it.
Old 11-30-11, 06:39 PM   #11
Egan
Admiral

I'm looking at this Phillips monitor:

http://www.ebuyer.com/280590-philips...or-273e3lsb-00

I know it has no HDMI connection but as I'm only going to use it with my graphics card and a DVI adaptor I'm guessing that's going to be a moot point? Cheap as well at 200 notes....and of course because of that my brain keeps telling me there has to be some problem.

A couple of others to scout out I guess. Should probably look at 24" as well.