SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-11, 09:31 AM   #1
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Headset required.

OK guys, the kids broke my cheap headset over the weekend so I'm on the look out for replacement. I'm being swayed towards something better than my cheapest-enclosed-headset-off-ebay (just checked, they were from ebuyer and cost just £10.57 inc P&P It's a wonder they lasted this long).

So I'd like personal recommendations from you lot, not just a quick search of teh interwebz. I'm looking at 7.1 or 5.1 surround, not over £100 (so that's Megalodons out the question) which is under 120 Euros, or 160 USD.

I'd like to hear all those footsteps in BF3, and know where they are coming from. I'd also like to fit TrackIR to them, some of the straps look a bit too wide - but as usual I could be wrong.

Edit: Although I've set the budget at not over £100 that is eating significantly into other items I'd like to buy (new stick), so the cheaper the better, but not £10 cheap.
Old 12-12-11, 10:38 AM   #2
Tarrasque
Lieutenant

Downloads: 44

Not a huge amount of experience but I'd definitely not recommend the Creative Tactic3D Alpha.

Within about 3 months of getting it, the sound had gone from one of the ear pieces.

Was not impressed.
Tarrasque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 02:25 PM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I've been impressed with all the stuff from Sennheiser. Can clearly hear the quality loss of MP3 vs FLAC (lossless). Can't manage that on my stereo. Sadly that means you also easily pick up the poor audio in games; most of the music tends to be compressed.

Simply put: good mic, excellent audio. Little light on bass though, but that's what bass-boost is for.

Pretty basic design; http://www.sennheiser.nl/nl/home_nl....-gaming_500926

*ah right, TrackClip Pro mounts to that just fine.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 04:31 PM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Thanks guys, I hadn't even looked at the Creative or Sennheiser ones

And yeah, should've said TrackClip Pro rather than just TrackIR - sorry.
Old 12-14-11, 09:18 PM   #5
Kaleun Wagner
Volltreffer!

Location: Los Angeles w/ frequent stops in the North Atlantic
Downloads: 72

Also take a look at Grado headphones; they are extremely hi-fidelity like Sennheisers (which you also can't go wrong with) but have a more classic look to them. Fits perfectly with WW2 sims such the Silent Hunter series.

These headphones sound absolutely fantastic when used with high quality audio sources. For instance, you'll hear new nuances in songs that you have been listening to for years and in general Grados also provide an excellent sound "stage" as well (so you can audibly locate the "position" of various instruments in the sound as if you were listening to an orchestra or band live in a theater).

The downside to these headphones is that they also are extremely proficient at pointing out any flaws in the audio source - so compressed sources will quickly sound worse scaled with the amount of compression involved.

I also don't care much for the foam cushions used - they cushion just fine but can be a little too abrasive on the skin for my taste when using them for extended periods of time. A quick and easy method to help with this is to get a pair of women's pantyhose which have a good tactile quality, and cut enough material from the bottom of them (where the front of the feet would go) to form a soft barrier around the foam cushions.

Also, these headphones are not the best to use with portable music players like an iPod. Although they will work and still sound quite good, these devices just aren't powerful enough to drive Grados properly. Ideally these headphones are used with a phono amp, but that would blow the budget way out of proportion. Any computer with a good modern sound card will drive them fine (audiophiles will always insist on a phono amp though).

What I cannot comment on personally is their compatibility with the TrackIR equipment.

Here are some buying leads to get you started:

List of official UK Grado dealers sorted by county

SR-80i listed on Amazon UK for £108 w/ free shipping (just to give an idea - I don't know if this is the cheapest price for the UK; in the US they seem to be quite a bit cheaper - $99 or £64)

I would personally go with Sennheiser if you want a modern look or the Grados if the classic look appeals more, given that a particular model is compatible with the TrackIR.

Good luck with your search!
Kaleun Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-11, 09:08 AM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

I've just taken a look at the Grado website, and they are some nice headphones, particularly liking the Reference and Statement series with the mahogony!!!

But alas, these are headphones and not headsets, so no mic to chat to people on Teamspeak - not that it's something I do often, but I'd like the option (and without yet another cable running to the PC).

TIR would've fitted too, it'll fit most headsets - it just clamps on but there is only about 30 mm.

I've decided, I think, to go for cheap-ish ones so I can get them sooner! Plantronics 777. Good reviews, and on what I want to play, and TIR fits and it's cheap enough to save some cash for the other stuff I want. I've just got to keep the kids away!
Old 12-16-11, 06:40 PM   #7
Kaleun Wagner
Volltreffer!

Location: Los Angeles w/ frequent stops in the North Atlantic
Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I've just taken a look at the Grado website, and they are some nice headphones, particularly liking the Reference and Statement series with the mahogony!!!

But alas, these are headphones and not headsets, so no mic to chat to people on Teamspeak - not that it's something I do often, but I'd like the option (and without yet another cable running to the PC).

TIR would've fitted too, it'll fit most headsets - it just clamps on but there is only about 30 mm.

I've decided, I think, to go for cheap-ish ones so I can get them sooner! Plantronics 777. Good reviews, and on what I want to play, and TIR fits and it's cheap enough to save some cash for the other stuff I want. I've just got to keep the kids away!
Ugh, how did I miss that you wanted a headset and not just headphones!?

At least you'll know some good options between the Grados and Sennheisers should you ever want some high-end phones. On the Grado side, my advice is to go with the SR-80i set unless you're willing to also invest in a proper phone amp as well.

The Plantronics set looks good; I don't have experience with that particular set, but I've used and really like their Bluetooth headsets.

A little bit of interesting trivia - the words "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" were spoken through a Plantronics headset.

Kaleun Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 06:24 AM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

And I bet they cost a lot more than £40
Old 12-21-11, 06:18 PM   #9
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Well, the 777s arrived today as Amazon said they should. I now have a problem, as after I'd ordered them the wife said she'd give me the money and they can be a xmas gift. I've had them out and tested them earlier while she was out - you know, just to make sure they work and all that - they are brilliant, had a quick blast on BF3 and the sound direction was great, iTunes gave a great tune, and trying the mic on TS local test was so clear, they are easily worth the 4x the cost of my cheapies I bought last December (even more so that I've got my money back from the missus). TIR fits nicely too.

Back to my problem - do I keep sneaking them out the box every night after the wife's gone to bed, or do I just wait till Sunday?

Having thought about it, I can cope without them tonight, and I'm supposed to be out tomorrow and Friday (definately out Friday! Tomorrow dubious.)...
Old 12-27-11, 04:50 AM   #10
gammaphialpha
Watch

Downloads: 0

Sennheiser is the best headset I ever had.
gammaphialpha is offline   Reply With Quote