SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-11, 02:23 PM   #121
PapaKilo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Damn Jim, was that necessary to place the pic ?
Old 09-21-11, 02:40 PM   #122
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKilo View Post
Damn Jim, was that necessary to place the pic ?
Well as much as I have been known to enjoy the occasional kebab, this is the funniest shaped/looking sheep I have ever come across

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 02:49 PM   #123
PapaKilo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Right.. as they say, full stomach never gives a damn about the empty one, and Jim is cruel on this one Bloody animal, show some symphathy to one that dies of hunger maybe

You know that feeling when you take couple of beers and your belly starts to request for fooooood and there is none close

I bet I'm off to bed then
Old 09-21-11, 08:05 PM   #124
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Living in the Balkans has it's perks and one is the food
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:57 PM   #125
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

I wasn't hungry but now I realize I AM.

I'll munch that mouse pad until lunch time.
Old 09-22-11, 03:00 AM   #126
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Why is it that we do not have a thread on haute cuisine after all these years of fighting over trivia, religion, politics and personal animosities? I tell you - all you guys and girls don'T know how to cook, so you are forgiven.

Anyway, being a fan of (Westernised) Chinese and Italian cuisine myself, I cannot leave you in darkness over the best and perfect way how to create the best and perfect, most original truly Italian pizza imaginable! It costed me several months of experimentation and several dozens of mediocre or simply failed pizza doughs to finally find out. Sometimes, I even threw the dough away.

You love Pizza? I love Pizza. Who does not love Pizza? If you don't, get out of the kitchen NOW.
This thread has my vote for best thread of the year
Old 09-22-11, 04:26 AM   #127
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

It's 5:30 AM here in Connecticut. I have every intention to go to sleep again, wake up, and go to Bradley and Wall in Madison. Pizza Excellente.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 04:28 AM   #128
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
This thread has my vote for best thread of the year
Pah, you flatterer! You just want another recipe for free!
Old 10-25-19, 06:54 AM   #129
Skybird
Soaring

I'm back at Pizza, after taking a break from it and checking out other foods. Pizza Funghi yesterday, like I get it in no restaurant in all town. 31 cm.

A little bit 30 seconds or so, too crispy, but lets not spoil it!
Old 10-25-19, 08:29 AM   #130
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Make that with a chilli (instead of tomato) base and I'd certainly go for that.

Old 10-25-19, 02:01 PM   #131
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony W. View Post
I have NO idea how to make it...

However, a LONG time ago I had a pizza with baby octopuses, squid, and seaweed... And it was gooood...
Old 10-25-19, 03:18 PM   #132
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Make that with a chilli (instead of tomato) base and I'd certainly go for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony W. View Post
I have NO idea how to make it...

However, a LONG time ago I had a pizza with baby octopuses, squid, and seaweed... And it was gooood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
shouldn't that be baby octopii or, more correctly, octopodes?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-19, 04:22 PM   #133
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
With some melted cheddar on top.

Last edited by em2nought; 10-25-19 at 04:23 PM. Reason: cheddar
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-19, 05:46 AM   #134
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ That looks good

Old 06-15-21, 05:02 PM   #135
Skybird
Soaring

Time for a little zombification.

After having become lazy the past years, i have not made pizza that much the past three or four years, only bought frozen ready-to-eat ones, some of which (if you know which ones to choose) have become surprisingly good, even using real yeast dough and being topped by hand. The sad truth is you cannot buy a good pizza in my hometown, the restaurants and delivery services all do exotic things and dysfunctional, disavory experiments, using no salt so "to make them healthy" (I could get mad when hearing this nonsense on salt), and clubbing the Gluten (no gluten and protein - no good dough behaviour, that simple the formula is, since the dough has a bad W-value - baking power - then and cannot hold sufficient moisture). German grade 405 and Itlaian grade tipo 00 flour IS NOT THE SAME, its worlds apart. I have checked pizza in so many places and restaurants. No herbals used. Lousy, really lousy doughs, bad toppings. Expensive. I do not go to any of them anymore. Although I LOVE pizza, still.

And so I went back to do two things myself again: I bake my own bread again, and I make pizza fully manual again.

The flour for baking bread I grind myself, but for pizza I use original Italian flour, by Caputo who probaly makes the best pizza flour in the world. Use it once yourself, and you believe it, promised. They have three flours, a red package for longer dough times 24-48 hours, a blue one for shorter dough times 2-3 hours minimum, and a relatively new lilac one I still must try, said to create an icrcredibly fluffy, "cloud-like" dough. I will try that soon, its ordered. I can only recommend with utmost seriousness to pay attention to use Italian tipo 00 flour of good quality. It beats EVERYTHING when you make pizza dough. I provide a link below. Germans: you cannot hope to get these results with German 405 or 550 fliur. The ingreidnet sin it are such that it just doe snto work as well. Thats no imagination - that is simple chemistry.

I also tested the new vogue of not using pizza stones, but pizza steel plates. My results with that are not impressive, however. The thing gets not hot enough in a normal household oven, no matter how I set it up, low or high, with or without grill on, and then when it is not hot enough, the moisture in the dough cannot escape through the plate, and so the dough gets cooked, yes, and it rises, but it builds no crust, stays soft, remains too moist. These plates are expensive and cost several times as much as a stone, your risk them to ruin the thermostate in your oven, and the theory behind them, that they store more heat than a stone and radiate it back into the dough faster, for me simply does not work. Instead of using a steel plate high in the oven, I return to my proven stone placed low in the oven. No air frying of course, just maximum upper and lower heat, passive. I reach 250° - 270° in my oven, and on a stone that works perfect for me, cooking time is around 4.5 minutes.

This is the best flour I know, I now use it for everything when I do not grind my own flour, I do not buy German flour anymore. Its different wheat, grown in different places (Italy...), with different mixtures of minerals, proteins and Gluten, and that makes all the difference. Wheat is not wheat, there have been hundreds of kinds of wheat. I pay a bit more, but via Amazon in packs of 6 or 10, I can reduce the price

https://www.gustini.de/molino-caputo.html

The red package has a w-value of 300-320 and a gluten content of 13-13.5%. The blue has a w-value of 200-230 and gluten 10-11%, the lilac coloured pack has a w-value of 250-290, and a gluten content of 12-12.5%. The more gluten, the higher the w-value, the more stable the dough rises, but the more time it takes. the softer doughs with less gluten are more "liquid" and a bit more tricky to handle. But you can work faster with them. If you use the blkue flour, you will need to vary your water aml8nt a bit while using the same amount of flour like with the red one. Both flous need slightly different amounts of water.

Healthier are longer dough times, the yeast then processes more of the critical encymes your digestion can negatively react to. Thats why so many people have so many problems with industrial bread, these are packed full with up to two hundred chemical agents allowed in the EU that make ingredients better to store, to handle, and reduce the processing times of doughs. That is good for the industry, and bad for your health! All the chemical toxins wheat has build in defence to its eating enemies - us - do not get neutralised that way and end live in our digestion system - and there they cause more and more problems. Its better to have doughs given longer times, even days. True for bread. True for pizza. True for anything related to cereals and corn, wheat etc. etc. Taking your time is healthier!

It sounds unbelievable, but many restaurants over here serve their pizza without dough or topping salted. No salt, NONE. Despicable, it has become an obsession. Also, vegan eating. No animal fats. Not that much interesting with pizza, yes, but with other kinds of food preparations. It just does not taste, it is lame on your tongue. I do not save on fats and salts. I just look at good quality of both and avoid certain types. See my health thread.

My dinner tonight was this. Salami I use rarely on pizza, but I was in the mood for it. Pickeld paprika, the onyl tpopping I really use often on pizza beside spinacci or champignons, I mostly use only several cheese, do variations of Margeritha.

My last try with the pizza steel plate, I will now sell it. As you can see in the thir doicture, almost no crust on the bottom outside, the dough had baked up, it was done, but not crispy, no crust. On a chamotte stone this would not have happened, not in my oven at least! The dough in the centre of the disc stays too soft, and no crust on the centre bottom. Maybe it works as they say in much, much hotter ovens, but not in mine. Porose chamotte stone it must be. Crust gets perfect in no time with that.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-15-21 at 05:24 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote