SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-13, 12:11 AM   #4066
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by salac_78 View Post
How do u find radar range in newer subs(tambor and later).Is there some submod that brings back range on the ppi scope?
Find (search for) 'Nisgeis' 3D TDC and RADAR Range Unit' MOD. This MOD is included with TMO 2.5. There are several very good tutorials on how to set up and use the TDC/RADAR to aim torpedoes. You have to use both the PPI scope AND the 'A' scope to get a good fix on a target. The actual range is found on the 'A' scope. There is also a 'readout' above the 'A' scope that gives the bearing. You can't see this readout until you tilt the view up. The tutorials tell all, and there are even a couple of 'school'-type adventures to practice using them.

The 3D TDC mod doesn't work on models pre-Gato-class boats. It does work on Balao-class. Not real sure about the Tambor-class (I've never used one).

Good Luck
Good Hunting!
Old 02-14-13, 08:41 AM   #4067
salac_78
Seaman

Downloads: 106

Thanks man.I have Tmo 2.5,and it was there the whole time.And to think i used to avoid playing with newer subs because of the radar"issue".Thanks again.
salac_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 12:42 PM   #4068
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Optical Targeting Correction for TMO 2.5 provides a different, yet accurate, way of using the subs radar.....for all subs. Both A-Scope and PPI give an accurate reading of radar returns.

Here's the A-Scope image:

Depending on what scale you've set the radar to, the blip spike indicates the distance. If the range was set at 32,000 yards, the center range overlay on the scope reads a return at 24,000 yards. In this particular case, the range was set to the 4000 yard distance, so the return target spike is actually 3000 yards distance.

Below is the scope zoomed-in (I added a zoom feature to the radar stations for easier reading):

When zoomed-in, you can look up onto the "Bearing Compass" to easily read the targets bearing.

Here's the PPI screen with the same target found. The range setting is at the 8000 yard distance:

The zoomed-in view shows a target at 3000 yards, at 11 to 12 degrees relative bearing.

The OTC radar is simple to use, and accurate.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 01:01 PM   #4069
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by salac_78 View Post
Thanks man.I have Tmo 2.5,and it was there the whole time.And to think i used to avoid playing with newer subs because of the radar"issue".Thanks again.
RADAR - PPI scope set to 40K yds sweep.
Adjust your view so you can see both the PPI and the 'A' scope AND the controls on the PPI scope. Yes, it can be done.
When you gain a target, you'll get a pip on the PPI scope. At the same time, you will get a 'spike' on the 'A' scope. Let the sweep go around once more, and click on the 'Focus' knob to stop the sweep. You will probably have to back up the beam with the mouse wheel until you get both the pip and the spike. When you do, switch from 40K (or whatever) to 'Precision' setting. You may have to make adjustments with the mouse wheel again to get both pip and spike. Sometimes you are too far away for the 'Precision' to work properly, but be patient. (seems to work best at less than 20K yds range). You can also be adjusting your course and speed for a rough intercept course while waiting for better precision.

Once you get both pip and spike on precision setting, switch to the 'A' scope. Range will be locked in on the lower left readout. You may have to adjust the spike to the little arrow to get both to line up, and since both you and the target are moving, you may have to do this several times. This is setting the exact range. When you get the range set, change the view to look up to find the bearing indicator. You are advised to write down range and bearing (pause game), then go to navigation map and plot target position.

Lots of pausing and unpausing (at least for me), but you do get accurate plots to plan intercept course for your firing solution. Don't forget to set your info into the TDC. The TDC was a very crude (but very advanced for its time) analog computer. The TDC does all the ballistics math, then 'programs' the torpedo's gyros for proper course to intercept the target. Start here for good description and pics of the TDC, with links to the PDF file of the actual manual: http://maritime.org/tech/tdc.htm Great reading!!! The TDC, the Norton Bomb Sight, and the B-29's central fire control were all analog computers.

Here's some good advise - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS for the 3D TDC mod, and do the tutorial missions. Proper use of the TDC is pretty complicated (as in real life). Some time ago, I made a step-by-step training sheet for myself that made things easier for me. If you would like it, leave me a PM with your email address, and I will email it to you. It is in WORD format.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Roger Dodger; 02-14-13 at 01:29 PM. Reason: More info
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 03:29 AM   #4070
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Just reinstalled SH4

Loaded the game, played it for a minute.

Installed the 1.4 patch

Loaded and played.

installed Generic mod enabler, loaded TMO 2.5

loaded the game.. New load screen, nice..

About 90% in, it gets stuck..

damn it.
I alt- tabbed and sure enough I had all sorts of errors, it saying it couldn't find certain files or what not?

Anyone have an Idea? thanks

damn it!! never mind, I need version 1.5

and I gotta buy that, right? LOL
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 07:52 AM   #4071
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

1.5 req'd.
Old 02-17-13, 12:50 PM   #4072
SimHq Tom Cofield
Commander

Downloads: 25

Yep, has needed the Uboat expansion for a while.

Nice updates btw
cofster1@simhq.com
SimHq Tom Cofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 10:09 PM   #4073
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Someone said there is a small patch that fixes boat upgrades..

I don't see it anywhere on the first few posts
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 11:08 PM   #4074
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post

I think I saw it in the downloads section.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 11:45 PM   #4075
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...ag=cyberknight

This link supports subsim.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 01:14 PM   #4076
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Could it be this small patch you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
If the Terrible T bug still exists, here is a link to a patch:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3506

The bug assigns you to a TAMBOR class as an upgrade from a GATO class when you may be expecting a BALAO class.... (the normal progression in the US Pacific campaign)

The patch fixes that but you lose the T class campaign.

I don't know if this has been changed in 2.5 since the patch was made, however I see quite a few people use it.

Happy Hunting!
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 03:12 PM   #4077
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Downloads: 83

I thought I'd give SH4 a try again after a long absence.

I've never tried TMO, but now I'm very interested!

Can someone tell me exactly what's necessary to get this mod installed to the best condition?

As I understand it, I need:

SH4 w/ U-Boat Missions
TMO 2.5
T-Campaign fix (for proper boat upgrade progression)
Traveller Mod 2.05 for TMO

Is there anything else required? Any patches to fix remaining issues in TMO 2.5? (I see talk of radar issues just above, but I can't tell whether they're already correct in the mod.)

Thanks!
Paul Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 04:05 PM   #4078
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

You also need RSRDC and it's patch in order to get Travellers mod to work properly.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 08:31 PM   #4079
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit484 View Post
You also need RSRDC and it's patch in order to get Travellers mod to work properly.
Thanks!
Old 04-14-13, 11:23 AM   #4080
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Another question, this time on manual targeting:

I've been away from SH4 for a while, but the TMO ship recognition manual seems to be different from stock in that some entries have a definite red line atop a smokestack or a mast. Is this point at which we should place the waterline when finding range in manual targeting?

1) Why do some ships and not other have a red line in the book, and why do some use a smokestack and others a mast?

2) For those that don't have the line, should we use the highest mast or highest stack for measurement?

Thanks!