SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-12, 01:40 PM   #3961
KingKaleuna
Nub

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0

Nothing much to add, except to thank Ducimus and the rest of you modders for giving this game new life. I bought SH IV a few years ago and it spent all of 30 minutes on my hard drive before being thrown in the closet where it belonged.

Found it again during a rare cleaning. Decided to see what the modders had accomplished. Man! I was not disappointed.

Haven't even bothered to finish Mass Effect 3 or Arkham City thanks to TMO. That's pretty high praise from an action fan like me. The Aleutians are a pretty crazy place!

I know it's probably a pretty thankless job modding unfinished games, but I salute you.
KingKaleuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 02:05 AM   #3962
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104

I have Trigger Maru 2.5 installed and I'm wondering if it's not the cause of my issue. I think it may be a desired effect the writer of the mod wanted but one that I want to turn off.

The game keeps turning Dud Torpedoes on and turning on the event camera.
I want dud torpedoes off and event camera off. But each time I start the game it defaults with these turned back on. I apply changes.. and even shut down and restart and the defaults pop back up the way I don't want them.

Is Trigger Maru doing this mod on start up?

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 02:24 AM   #3963
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104

I think I was able to answer my own question.

I went into the:

GamePlaySettings.cfg

And turned a couple falses to trues.. I'll see if this works now.

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 03:03 AM   #3964
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Its has nothing to do with TMO. Its either SH4 hates you, or once you start the game and go to options to set up realism, and then you start a career, choose realism setting there, it overwrites what you set earlier. So, in captain office, you need to click the radio and check the realism settings once more, adjusting it to your liking.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 04:47 AM   #3965
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Make sure you change your settings in Documents \ Data \ CFG. If you have run the game once, you should be able to set your options up from there manually.

If you have any saved campaigns, you can change them in the save game folder there too.

For, the options you want, these are two settings, and they should be false, not true,

DudTorpedoes=true, change to false

NoEventCamera=true, change to false

You won't have any duds, and you will have the EventCamera on.

But when you start the game, the Options menu from the start screeen, only affect the single missions. When you go to your campaign, you have to set them again, from the Captain's Office as Stanger has said. And as he says, they are accessed by clicking on the radio on the shelf to the left, as are Save and Load game options.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 03:04 PM   #3966
Tempest555
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166

I have found the best way to keep a file setting in ANY game not to change is to go to PROPERTIES after editing it and save it to READ only. That'll cure unwanted changes. FWIW
Tempest555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 03:26 PM   #3967
RC0007
Nub

Downloads: 1

Just installed this mod, pretty simple and it runs fine. Thank you!
RC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 08:52 AM   #3968
Tanedin
Bosun

Downloads: 273

Noticing an issue with some kind of streak appearing on the port side of the player subs after TC. I've tried it with S-18, Sargo and Gato with both stock skins and the Foofighters skins, though it's more noticeable with Fooskins. It's only visible during the day after some period of using time compression.

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can maybe point me to a fix.

Here's a picture. I thought it was related to the "ship caustic effects" setting, but as you can see, it still happens with that disabled.
Tanedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 01:15 PM   #3969
jtpjr
Watch

Downloads: 205
I HATE THIS

tmo is a good program BUT IT SCREWED UP AND THE BEST CAMPAIN THAT I EVER HAD CRASHED!!!:nop e: PLZ tell me how to fix it 76000 TONS I AM SO MAD
jtpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 03:29 PM   #3970
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpjr View Post
tmo is a good program BUT IT SCREWED UP AND THE BEST CAMPAIN THAT I EVER HAD CRASHED!!!: PLZ tell me how to fix it 76000 TONS I AM SO MAD
Pretty tough to diagnose a problem with the limited info you have provided. At this point, my best advise is to reload your game from the last gamesave point, and see if it crashes again. Take notes while playing until it crashes, and carefully observe at which point the CD occurs. You really need to duplicate the symptoms (i.e. the 'Scientific Method') before anyone can help you out.

What is your system like? (specs)
How long have you been playing SH4? Did you upgrade to the U-Boat Missions (SH4 v1.5)? How long ago? Any problems at this point?
When did you enable TMO? Which version? Did you install in port or on patrol? Did you start a completely new campaign after installing TMO, or continue your existing campaign?
Did you disable ALL other mods and install TMO in the #1 position? What other mods are you using, and in what order did you install them? Are you using JSGME for your installs?

These basic questions must be answered first, before attempting to diagnose the problem. Its like going to the doctor, and telling him you feel bad (and nothing else). His answer will be, "Take two aspirin, and call me in the morning."

As long as you are not crashing to the dreaded 'Blue Screen', I don't think you need to Format your Hard Drive, and reload your Windows System, but that's about all I can tell you at this point.

Last edited by Roger Dodger; 07-29-12 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Additional questions
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 03:52 PM   #3971
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Basically what Rodger said, TMO has proven to be a very stable mod, so much so you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 05:01 PM   #3972
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Basically what Rodger said, TMO has proven to be a very stable mod, so much so you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
Indeed Eliminate the obvious first. Everything I questioned has caused some problem with my SH4 install (but never a complete Crash to Desktop).

The only hassle I'm having with TMO now is the amount of 'crud' Ducimus put into the water. Since about v2.2, the 'event camera' (underwater) shows a pretty good simulation of SCUBA diving in Los Angeles harbor, or near the bottom of a cess-pool. I really like the event camera to observe the damage I've done What a RUSH!

I've seen this subject mentioned before, but I haven't seen any 'fix' for it. I need to know exactly which file(s) were changed, and what I need to do to get them back to the original condition. I'm assuming the changed file(s) are one or more of the .fx files in data/Shaders/Water folder.

Good Hunting!
Old 07-29-12, 05:27 PM   #3973
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

You mean this?

If so its impurity.dds in Misc folder. You can edit alpha channel to make it less visible or not visible at all (in game).
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-12, 08:15 PM   #3974
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
You mean this?

If so its impurity.dds in Misc folder. You can edit alpha channel to make it less visible or not visible at all (in game).
Yes, but the 'crud' is not so noticeable in the 'Free Camera'. The real problem is in the 'Event Camera'.

I did some playing around with the Free Camera last night, and my sub was quite clear at periscope depth - I could look along its entire length. Visibility is around 300 feet or about 100 meters - about what it should be in the South Pacific.

The real problem with visibility is with the 'Event Camera'. The Event Camera shows the ship exploding nicely, but when it follows the sinking underwater, you can't even see the shadow of the sinking ship.

I did change the 'impurity.dds' file to Fill: 'Percent 05' from 'Solid Color' and saved the file as DXT1 (Opaque/1-bit Alpha) as file format. I'm using Paint.NET v3.5.2 . I'll have to test it later and see if that does the trick.

Thanx
Old 07-29-12, 11:40 PM   #3975
Tanedin
Bosun

Downloads: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanedin View Post
Noticing an issue with some kind of streak appearing on the port side of the player subs after TC. I've tried it with S-18, Sargo and Gato with both stock skins and the Foofighters skins, though it's more noticeable with Fooskins. It's only visible during the day after some period of using time compression.

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can maybe point me to a fix.

Here's a picture. I thought it was related to the "ship caustic effects" setting, but as you can see, it still happens with that disabled.
I reduced all of my settings to minimum and restarted before setting them back to high, problem seems to have resolved itself.

Edit: Why?
Tanedin is offline   Reply With Quote