SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-12, 03:21 AM   #3901
doulos05
Planesman

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOnn View Post
Hello everyone.
I am newbie on Subsim and i have a question.
Not sure is this the right place to ask about this but i have intalled TMO 2.5 anyway so:
Which of the manual targetting methods is the most precise.
I'm using Vector Analysis method and found it very precise.
Dick O' Kane method is very simple but precision is not so good in my opinion.
If anyone knows other, more precise methods please reply to this post.
I never used a method included in OTC mod (using the omnimeter) because it's for fully realistic gameplay none the less i have the OTC installed and strongly recommend this MOD as an addition to TMO

Ah i almost forgot. I set realism on hard ("no map contact update" and "no event camera" is disabled besides that the rest is enabled)
I find the sum total of errors in a proper Dick O'Kane (taken from inside 1000 yards) to be negligible. Mathematically, we're talking about errors averaging under 50 feet, the difference between hitting directly under the funnel and hitting directly astern or ahead of the funnel. Target movement due to a detected torpedo wake tends to have a greater impact on accuracy than the imprecision in Dick O'Kane.

That said, if you're going for super-realistic, you can read the TDC manual from 1946, it details precisely how to set up the 3 kinds of shots recommended. We have a quasi-functional TDC, so you could run it almost just exactly like your real counterparts.
Me:
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 07:09 PM   #3902
sithlordmaligant
Mate

Downloads: 1044
Default help

i was using tmo 2.5 and trying to use a sub and could not get to no stations like periscopes the sub i was trying to use was the typhoon i need help or what do i need ot enable periscopes

DO UNTO OTHERS THEN RUN VERY FAST
sithlordmaligant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 01:58 AM   #3903
Mister_Spok
Seaman

Downloads: 87

Can anyone please tell me how can I change water/uderwater colors in TMO? I really like TMO, but I LUV water and underwater colours in RFB (they are awesome, yeah).

EDIT:

Oh nevermind, the "Improved stock environment for TMO&RFB" mod by Sailor Steve almost made my day. Much excellent work!

Last edited by Mister_Spok; 06-06-12 at 10:26 AM.
Mister_Spok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 05:49 AM   #3904
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

You will need S3D Editor, as the water color is in the Data / Env folder.

There are 6 .dat files in there, and What you can do, is compare the water color settings with RFB, and change them accordingly.

But there are a lot of settings between the 6 files.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 04:37 PM   #3905
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renegade View Post
SOOOO all you TMO cap'n crunchers, I've got a bit of an update on my deck gun problem.

After MUCH searching the forums and foolin around in the files I discovered how to fix a random "Conning Tower Upgrade equipment switcheroo" bug. Yes that's what I'm calling it I still haven't found out WHY I got all these problems, but fixing them is PRETTY easy, more or less. Once you know where to look and what to type, it's just some simple text editing and filling in the blank really

SO! To the other guy having a similar equipment problem with the conning tower upgrade. You've got to go into the ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in your SaveGame data folder and do some work. Make sure it's your most current savegame file....

...Plus a lot of stuff...
Hey matey, I necro to answer you since this worked great for me too, and I had a hard time searching for this answer... Maybe this info should be included somewhere to be more accesible I was searching for things like no deck gun traverse, deck gun cannot move, then I read all the infos about bow/deck problem, that was easy, but finding this piece of info took me a few days.

Thanks much!!!

***EDIT*** : Unfortunately, though I was able to change the gun's side from bow to starboard, the gun still doesnt move at all from side to side. I just started a new career on a S boat and the same happens, gun works, range can be changed, but it doesnt traverse at all, it's stuck on its initial position.

Anyone has a clue? My mods are TMO 2.5 with patch plus OTC for TMO (with the 5:4 screen submod added).

Last edited by SilentOtto; 06-09-12 at 02:09 PM.
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 04:46 PM   #3906
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOtto View Post
Hey matey, I necro to answer you since this worked great for me too, and I had a hard time searching for this answer... Maybe this info should be included somewhere to be more accesible I was searching for things like no deck gun traverse, deck gun cannot move, then I read all the infos about bow/deck problem, that was easy, but finding this piece of info took me a few days.

Thanks much!!!

***EDIT*** : Unfortunately, though I was able to change the gun's side from bow to starboard, the gun still doesnt move at all from side to side. I just started a new career on a S boat and the same happens, gun works, range can be changed, but it doesnt traverse at all, it's stuck on its initial position.

Anyone has a clue? My mods are TMO 2.5 with patch plus OTC for TMO (with the 5:4 screen submod added).
From: The Renegade: "SO! To the other guy having a similar equipment problem with the conning tower upgrade."

I think I'm 'the other guy' Renegade is referring to, but my problem is somewhat different. I've never had the 'traversing' problem. My beef is that I don't get a deck gun AT ALL when upgrading to a Gato-class boat.

I had been using TMO2.2, but this campaign I've upgraded to TMO2.5. I disabled TMO2.2 (and all other MODs), then deleted the 'My Documents\SH4' folder, THEN enabled TMO2.5 (and other MODs like RSRDC). Sure enough, the game re-installed the 'SH4' folder into My Documents, so no previous savegames should 'confuse' the new install.

I started the new campaign on Nov. 30, 1941, Asiatic Fleet in an S-Boat. It came equipped with a 4"/50 deck gun. The deck gun traverses just fine: I sank 6 'Junks' and finished off a merchantman (heavily damaged with my last torpedo, and under intense small-arms fire) with the deck gun. OK so far.

I accepted a new command after my 4th patrol - a Sargo-Class boat, which only has an aft deck gun. I don't have the after-gun submod installed, so I have NO deck gun at all, although I do have a 20mm anti-aircraft gun (which an S-Boat does not have). I'm about 1/2 way through my first patrol (early August, 1942), and haven't experienced any problems.

The 'no deck gun' problem has occurred when I accept command of a Gato-class boat - I have gotten NO deck gun and NO crew slots for a deck gun. I have checked the data\submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.upc file in the TMO2.5 folder, and capability for a deck gun is, indeed, there under 'Compartment 8' (Aft deck gun) and 'Compartment 9' (Fore deck gun), along with the appropriate CrewMemberSlots for both Compartments.

So, when I do upgrade to a Gato-class boat, I 'should' get a deck gun on the bow. I'll just have to play out the Sargo patrols, and see what happens when I do upgrade. I'll let you all know.

Good Hunting!
Old 06-09-12, 09:26 PM   #3907
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
Default No deck gun when Accepting a Gato sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
From: The Renegade: "SO! To the other guy having a similar equipment problem with the conning tower upgrade."

I think I'm 'the other guy' Renegade is referring to, but my problem is somewhat different. I've never had the 'traversing' problem. My beef is that I don't get a deck gun AT ALL when upgrading to a Gato-class boat.

I had been using TMO2.2, but this campaign I've upgraded to TMO2.5. I disabled TMO2.2 (and all other MODs), then deleted the 'My Documents\SH4' folder, THEN enabled TMO2.5 (and other MODs like RSRDC). Sure enough, the game re-installed the 'SH4' folder into My Documents, so no previous savegames should 'confuse' the new install.

I started the new campaign on Nov. 30, 1941, Asiatic Fleet in an S-Boat. It came equipped with a 4"/50 deck gun. The deck gun traverses just fine: I sank 6 'Junks' and finished off a merchantman (heavily damaged with my last torpedo, and under intense small-arms fire) with the deck gun. OK so far.

I accepted a new command after my 4th patrol - a Sargo-Class boat, which only has an aft deck gun. I don't have the after-gun submod installed, so I have NO deck gun at all, although I do have a 20mm anti-aircraft gun (which an S-Boat does not have). I'm about 1/2 way through my first patrol (early August, 1942), and haven't experienced any problems.

The 'no deck gun' problem has occurred when I accept command of a Gato-class boat - I have gotten NO deck gun and NO crew slots for a deck gun. I have checked the data\submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.upc file in the TMO2.5 folder, and capability for a deck gun is, indeed, there under 'Compartment 8' (Aft deck gun) and 'Compartment 9' (Fore deck gun), along with the appropriate CrewMemberSlots for both Compartments.

So, when I do upgrade to a Gato-class boat, I 'should' get a deck gun on the bow. I'll just have to play out the Sargo patrols, and see what happens when I do upgrade. I'll let you all know.

Good Hunting!
I do believe that when you accept a new boat of any kind the first patrol with that sub that you accepted will not be able to have a deck gun on the sub until you complete 1 patrol with the new boat. Then after you return to base then you can outfit your boat with a deck gun.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 02:35 AM   #3908
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
I accepted a new command after my 4th patrol - a Sargo-Class boat, which only has an aft deck gun. I don't have the after-gun submod installed, so I have NO deck gun at all
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the subs in TMO25 have bow mounted deck guns, except gar/tambor. The optional mod for aft deck guns moves DG to stern on all subs, you dont install this mod to get DG on Sargo, so I think that "no deck guns" problem manifested itself here in your case.

It looks like it happens when starting a career with s-class boat (I never experienced it when starting with porpoise, salmon or tambor). Maybe because of 4"50 deck gun - it's not available on other boats until mid '43 or early '44, they should receive 3"5 instead, but they dont, so finding out why could lead to solution.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 03:38 PM   #3909
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Just to report what i found out, i had started a career with S-Boat and I put in a 4.50 gun. I'm not 100% sure if it was the one on by default or I chose it... Bad research on my part As I said before, it didnt work, was pointing down as if broken (same problem I had on Balao) and did not traverse.

So after 1st patrol, in dock I changed it to a 3.50, and voilá, now it's working!

I think my problem was just using guns not allowed on some subs, and so I could mount them but not use them. (I didn't have the crew problem, that part is well documented on TMO manual).
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 05:01 PM   #3910
haz
A-ganger

Downloads: 1401

believe they had 5 inch guns on s-boats
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 06:41 PM   #3911
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

The Narwhal are what you're thinking of. Bow and stern guns.

Late war Gato, and Balao boats had them too. Those that were fitted out, or refitted with them.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 02:27 AM   #3912
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the subs in TMO25 have bow mounted deck guns, except gar/tambor. The optional mod for aft deck guns moves DG to stern on all subs, you dont install this mod to get DG on Sargo, so I think that "no deck guns" problem manifested itself here in your case.

It looks like it happens when starting a career with s-class boat (I never experienced it when starting with porpoise, salmon or tambor). Maybe because of 4"50 deck gun - it's not available on other boats until mid '43 or early '44, they should receive 3"5 instead, but they dont, so finding out why could lead to solution.
'all the subs in TMO25 have bow mounted deck guns, except gar/tambor.'
That may be, but the picture of the Sargo-class boat on the sub's in-port equipment screen shows a stern deck gun, so I 'assume' that's all that is available for a Sargo. There is no deck gun available for purchase in-port, and no deck gun crew spaces.

Strange to say, before Ducimus 'fixed' this bug, I had never encountered it previously. I did get boats with a stern gun or fore gun, whatever the configuration called for. I never really liked the stern gun anyways, since I had to present my beam to a merchant that may be armed to use it. I much prefer shooting over the bow since I'm headed towards the target for torpedo attack. Sampans, Junks or Fishing Boats don't fight back, but I always felt is rather clumsy firing the stern deck gun.

'It looks like it happens when starting a career with s-class boat (I never experienced it when starting with porpoise, salmon or tambor).'

It has happened before when I started with a porpoise. The Gato deck gun just goes away after upgrading.

Bandit: 'I do believe that when you accept a new boat of any kind the first patrol with that sub that you accepted will not be able to have a deck gun on the sub until you complete 1 patrol with the new boat. Then after you return to base then you can outfit your boat with a deck gun.'

Works that way for RADAR, but not for the deck gun. I've had RADAR equipped porpoise, sargo/salmon boats, but lost my RADAR when upgrading to the Gato. Also, when upgrading from RADAR equipped Gato to new Balao, you will also lose the RADAR. Always available after the first patrol with the new boat. Deck guns should always be equipped on a new boat since they came that way 'from the factory'. Once lost during an upgrade, the deck gun is never available again, nor are spaces for a crew.

Again, this may have changed when I did the complete upgrade from TMO2.2 to TMO2.5, including deleting the My Documents\SH4 folder. I'll just have to let you know later - I'll be away from my 'patrol zone' for the next week.

Last edited by Roger Dodger; 06-11-12 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Changing text color
Roger Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:07 AM   #3913
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Don't look at that picture - it's not like the game is doing a snapshot of your current boat and put it there on equipment screen; those pics are prepared by the devs, may be changed by a modder, or not, but are still photos. Salmon/Sargo by default (in TMO) have bow mounted deck guns.

Anyway, I am planning to start another campaign with s-class (actually already did, but was sunk somewhere in Luzon Strait ), but should I receive 4"5 and 3"5 deck guns as a choice (I did)? It wasnt like that in stock game, did it?
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:08 PM   #3914
SgtPotato
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

I'm concerned.

Did RSRD mod overwrite the Terrible T campaign? I couldn't find it with this mod together.
SgtPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:07 PM   #3915
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
believe they had 5 inch guns on s-boats
The S-class had the 4"/ 50 cal., and AFAIK, nothing else.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote