SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-12, 01:10 AM   #3871
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

You are aware of the "New Construction" option? You can get a Gato or Baloa before the official release time, but you get transfered to Mare Island on West Coast by Frisco.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 06:31 PM   #3872
Sidekikd34
Part-time skipper

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
You are aware of the "New Construction" option? You can get a Gato or Baloa before the official release time, but you get transfered to Mare Island on West Coast by Frisco.
Actually, the boats "exist" in their cfg files as of Jan 1 of 43/44, but the Pearl flotilla does not accept them until March 1. The sea trials are set up in the period in between. We're talking about getting upgraded to Balao in 42, way before any file should even know it exists.
Sidekikd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 07:37 PM   #3873
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

This is from the TMO Manual pg. 20

7. New Construction, 42: (14 Feb42 ) It was not uncommon for an executive officer on one submarine, to be detached from his current boat, and be sent back to the United States to commission a new boat as it's captain. This was more or less called, “being sent to new construction”. Selecting this option will start you off near Mare Island, California. Where your newly commissioned Gato class submarine is to undergo sea trials before transferring to the Pacific Fleet as a front line combat submarine. If you absolutely must have a Gato class as early in the war as possible, this is an excellent option.

8. New Construction 43 . (14Feb43) This is the same as New Construction 42, except that your commissioning a Balao class submarine instead of a Gato. If you absolutely must have a Balao class as early in the war as possible, this is an excellent option.

I have gotten offered boats "early", but not that early. If I accept a Gato early, or a Balao early, I get the transfer to California, but I stopped doing that, as I like to play from the Asiatic Fleet, so after retreating to Fremantle, it takes even longer to get the better boats than even Peral, and if I take a better boat before they show up there, I get sent to Pearl.

So what I do, is save the game about 30 miles out from port. so if I don't like the outcome of an automatic transfer, I can reload the game, and just decline the offer.

Sorry you're experiencing that. I haven't had it happen that early for a Balao boat. Maybe start saving before ending your patrol, so if it happens in the future, you can reload the game and decline an upgrade.

---------------------

Old 05-12-12, 12:30 PM   #3874
Andayle
Watch

Downloads: 43

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I have played SH4, today I installed it with newest version of TMO, last version I used was 1.7 so it was some time ago. It's all working fine apart from one small thing. I have chosen to start with the new construction campaign and I am currently on the part of the first sea trials where it asks me to complete a deep dive test. I can't find a key command or a click command to put the dive planes into deep dive setting. I can press D and it will dive to safety depth but wont go past it. I have tried CTRL+D and SHIFT+D to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? I need to dive to 500ft so I cant even use the depth gauge because that only goes to 450 lol.

Thanks for any help on this.
Andayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 01:02 PM   #3875
Andayle
Watch

Hmm I just been through the manual and it says that there is a clickable depth gauge in the conning tower and the control room. I have found the conning tower one but it's not clickable and the control room gauge is nowhere to be found. Am I experiencing a bug or is my installation not correct?
Old 05-12-12, 01:26 PM   #3876
Andayle
Watch

Ok Problem solved, I found the depth gauge in the control room that is clickable lol, looks like the conning tower one is a bug.
Old 05-12-12, 03:12 PM   #3877
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

It's been switched between the control room, and the conning tower.

---------------------

Old 05-12-12, 04:16 PM   #3878
Sidekikd34
Part-time skipper

Downloads: 19

Quote:

So what I do, is save the game about 30 miles out from port. so if I don't like the outcome of an automatic transfer, I can reload the game, and just decline the offer.

Sorry you're experiencing that. I haven't had it happen that early for a Balao boat. Maybe start saving before ending your patrol, so if it happens in the future, you can reload the game and decline an upgrade.
Yeah, that's pretty much my strategy. I've been trying to find how to stop the game offering boats that can't exist, though.
Sidekikd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 07:13 PM   #3879
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekikd34 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much my strategy. I've been trying to find how to stop the game offering boats that can't exist, though.

That's why i started saving before ending patrols. If by chance a newer class boat is offerred too soon for my liking, I can decline it.

Didn't care for the whole west coast thing, and starting out from Mare Island, and then cruising across the Pacific forever. But that's only because I prefer to play from the Asiatic Fleet side of it. And every now and then, transferring over to Brisbane.

I wonder though, if there is a way to make your time in port longer when you do accept a new boat.

---------------------

Old 05-17-12, 08:06 PM   #3880
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

My Gato class boat (USS Flying Fish) is presently in port (Brisbane). The Save file is the OnEnteringPort Auto-savefile.

Can I upgrade the present TMO v2.2 to TMO v2.5 while in port and continue on with my campaign, or will I have to start a whole new campaign?

Present installed MODS:
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2
TMO_Update_20_to_22
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start
Crew Rank Fix - RSRDC
Radar and TDC Training Missions v1.02

I'll be re-installing all the RSRDC mods, but not the TDC Training Missions.

Good Hunting!
Old 05-18-12, 07:09 PM   #3881
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Dont have definitive answer, but you can try. Some changes done to TMO25 may not "kick in" for your old saves; I'm thinking about changes (if any) to upc files: the game takes some of them, or information contained within and stores it in your docs folder (with your saves - 'upc initial" and such); I think the game doesnt update them - doesnt check main game folder for any changes - as far as I know. You may end with TMO25 mixed with TMO2.2 equipment availability dates and so on; or you may end up with your boat with no deck gun or wrong radar position on CT
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 12:54 AM   #3882
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
Dont have definitive answer, but you can try. Some changes done to TMO25 may not "kick in" for your old saves; I'm thinking about changes (if any) to upc files: the game takes some of them, or information contained within and stores it in your docs folder (with your saves - 'upc initial" and such); I think the game doesnt update them - doesnt check main game folder for any changes - as far as I know. You may end with TMO25 mixed with TMO2.2 equipment availability dates and so on; or you may end up with your boat with no deck gun or wrong radar position on CT
Well, I'll give it a try. The worst I can do is trash the game completely . The best I can hope for is that the upgrade works and fixes some problems I have been having for quite some time - like not getting a deck gun.

I fooled around with the gamesave file, and finally got a Forward Deck Gun, but only two crew for it, even though I included slots for a seven member team. Maybe upgrading to TMO 2.5 will do it.

If it doesn't, I can always erase all my gamesaves and start a new campaign.
Old 05-19-12, 05:34 AM   #3883
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Whenever you upgrade a mod like TMO, it is adviseable to at least delete the SH4 folder in your documents folder.

---------------------

Old 05-19-12, 03:39 PM   #3884
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Whenever you upgrade a mod like TMO, it is adviseable to at least delete the SH4 folder in your documents folder.
I agree, except that would mean I would have to start an all new campaign, which I like to avoid. Also, wouldn't deleting the SH4 folder from the My Documents folder require a full re-install of the game? I should think that deleting all the files and subfolders in the My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\(RichSaveGames and SaveGames and UPCInitial and UserPlayerContextGE folders) would be better, otherwise the game might not know where to put the SaveGames.

Here is what I did before the upgrade to the GameSave files in an effort to get a Deck Gun. It resulted in a Deck Gun, but only two Deck Gun Crew. Upgrading to TMO 2.5 DOES NOT rewrite the .upc files in the GameSave folder. I'll probably make the deletions and start a new Campaign AFTER I return from patrol. Notes are highlighted:

Comparing my SaveGames\00000020\ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc (from last nights patrol near Rabaul) to the UPCInitial file shows the exact same entries
START MY DOCUMENTS\SH4\DATA\CFG\UPCInitial\ActiveUserPlayer Units.upc
[UserPlayerUnit 1]
ID=Gato
NameDisplayable=Gato
UnitName=USS Flying Fish (SS-229)
UpgradeClass=2
Type=Gato

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8]
ID=GatoGunB
CompartmentType=2
FunctionalType=ArtilleryRoom
NameDisplayable=Fore Gun Deck

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8]
ID=GatoGunB
CompartmentType=2
FunctionalType=ArtilleryRoom
NameDisplayable=Fore Gun Deck
. . .
IDLinkWeaponLoaded=4in50calUS, NULL

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]
ID=4in50calUS
NameDisplayable=4"/50 Caliber Cannon
. . .
WeaponCrewMembersSlots=7

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_DGun2L
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun Leader
Type=Leader

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1.CrewMember]
ID=POWatch
NameDisplayable=Harley C. Henry

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1.CrewMember.Rank]
ID=CPO
Level=7
TreeType=USNavy
NameDisplayable=Chief Petty Officer

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 1.CrewMember.Rank.CrewMember3D]
ID=ClothingCPOs

CrewMemberSlot 2 has similar specs all filled out

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2]

ID=CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C1
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun Crew
Type=Crewman

This is all that shows up for CrewMemberSlots 3 to 7

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 3]

ID=CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C2
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun Crew
Type=Crewman
IDLinkCrewMemberLoaded=NULL
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M01
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=NULL

*** END OF [UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlots 3-7]

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 5]
ID=UpgDeckGun
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDeckGunBasicBow,USDeckGunAdvBow
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots=BowDeckGun,SternDeckGun
CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGBow
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsLoaded=NULL

[UserPlayerUnit 1.FunctionalSubsystem 28]
ID=DeckGun1
NameDisplayable=Bow Deck Gun
FunctionalType=WeaponMainCannon
IDLinkFunctionalSubsystemSlots=BowDeckGun,1

[UserPlayerUnit 1.FunctionalSubsystem 36]
ID=CrewDeckGun
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun
FunctionalType=CrewMembersGrouping
IDLinkFunctionalSubsystemSlots=CrewMemberSlot_DGun L,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGunC1,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2L, 0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C1,0

[UserPlayerUnit 1.FunctionalSubsystem 37]
ID=CrewDamage
NameDisplayable=Damage Repair Team
IDLinkFunctionalSubsystemSlots=CrewMemberSlot_Dama geL1,0,CrewMemberSlot_DamageC1,0,CrewMemberSlot_Da mageC2,0,CrewMemberSlot_DamageC3,0,CrewMemberSlot_ DamageC4,0,CrewMemberSlot_DamageC5,0,CrewMemberSlo t_DamageC6,0,CrewMemberSlot_DamageC7,0,CrewMemberS lot_DamageC8,0,CrewMemberSlot_DamageC9,0

*** END MY DOCUMENTS\SH4\DATA\CFG\UPCInitial\ActiveUserPlayer Units.upc ***

Note the difference in FunctionalSubsystem 36 (Deck Gun) configuration of a SaveGame file from August, 2010 (Also a Gato). The difference in numbering was from the inclusion of Hogan's Alley in the older file, which also made the Foreward Deck Gun Compartment 9 and Functional Subsystem 37 instead of the usual Compartment 8, Functional Subsystem 36. TMO 2.5 also makes significant changes to the Data\Submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato.upc file with the addition of the After Battery Compartment (Old Hogan's Alley?) which were, apparently, not picked up in the GameSave files after upgrading. When I rewrote the GameSave .upc file, I did not include all of the CrewMemberSlots as shown below - probably the reason I only got two active crew members for the Deck Gun Team. There are sure alot of interrelated files in different parts in the .upc GameSave.

[UserPlayerUnit 1.FunctionalSubsystem 37]

ID=CrewDeckGun
NameDisplayable=Deck Gun
IDLinkFunctionalSubsystemSlots=CrewMemberSlot_DGunL,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGunC1,0,Cre wMemberSlot_DGunC2,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGunC3,0,CrewM emberSlot_DGunC4,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGunC5,0,CrewMem berSlot_DGunC6,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2L,0,CrewMembe rSlot_DGun2C1,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C2,0,CrewMembe rSlot_DGun2C3,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C4,0,CrewMembe rSlot_DGun2C5,0,CrewMemberSlot_DGun2C6,0
Old 05-19-12, 05:31 PM   #3885
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
wouldn't deleting the SH4 folder from the My Documents folder require a full re-install of the game? I should think that deleting all the files and subfolders in the My Documents\SH4\data\cfg\(RichSaveGames and SaveGames and UPCInitial and UserPlayerContextGE folders) would be better, otherwise the game might not know where to put the SaveGames.
Why would it not know? It was the game who created my documents SH4 folder in the first place Don't worry, the game will recreate this folder, but you will need to adjust game settings and , of course, start new career.
But I wonder what will happen if you do delete all contents of those folders you mentioned?
1. The game will recreate them - and they will be up to date with TMO25;
2. Your saves will not load/get corrupted/the game will crash when loading such save;
3.All of the above
There is also a file called 'career progress' or something - I wouldnt delete that; unless your career progress is also saved in that rich save game, but I doubt it...
Too much hassle.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote