SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-13, 04:51 PM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I was talking about Das Boot, not 20,000 Leagues. And I agree - The Enemy Below is wonderful, despite their u-boat being a bit silly.
Old 02-07-13, 05:24 PM   #17
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I was talking about Das Boot, not 20,000 Leagues. And I agree - The Enemy Below is wonderful, despite their u-boat being a bit silly.
The Enemy Below's submarine was terrible...I thought the Captain of the sub was a good actor but I didn't like anything else about it. You see how he pushes up the periscope with his hands? And that boat is WAAAAYYYY too roomy.
Old 02-07-13, 06:29 PM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

As I've said, it looks to me like they took some fake submarine stuff and shot it in a square room; as opposed to Das Boot, which, despite my several complaints, looks and feels like a real Type VII u-boat. A friend of mine sat through the entire movie complaining about claustrophobia.
Old 02-07-13, 06:49 PM   #19
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
The Enemy Below's submarine was terrible...I thought the Captain of the sub was a good actor but I didn't like anything else about it. You see how he pushes up the periscope with his hands? And that boat is WAAAAYYYY too roomy.
Enemy Below to me focused more on the Captains. Their strengths, weakness, stubborn personalities and desire to win at all costs. The actual sub had little to do with character development. Authenticity of the sub is not what they were going for. Drama of two strong wills going head to head.
Old 02-07-13, 06:49 PM   #20
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
As I've said, it looks to me like they took some fake submarine stuff and shot it in a square room; as opposed to Das Boot, which, despite my several complaints, looks and feels like a real Type VII u-boat. A friend of mine sat through the entire movie complaining about claustrophobia.

Looks like they put stuff from a "submarine" into a mansion living room.

The filming for Das Boot was amazing....
Old 02-07-13, 06:54 PM   #21
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
As I stated above concerning Enemy Below. As for Das Boot...yeah...if you let your mind wander as you watch claustrophobia certainly sets in. Given all of the inconsistencies and other botched items in Das Boot overall it is the Holy Grail of sub movies IMO. Also, we are a bit biased as we read about, studied and played games on the subject. To someone like my wife, she would accept Das Boot as a accurate depiction.
Old 02-07-13, 07:22 PM   #22
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
As I stated above concerning Enemy Below. As for Das Boot...yeah...if you let your mind wander as you watch claustrophobia certainly sets in. Given all of the inconsistencies and other botched items in Das Boot overall it is the Holy Grail of sub movies IMO. Also, we are a bit biased as we read about, studied and played games on the subject. To someone like my wife, she would accept Das Boot as a accurate depiction.
Das Boot seems pretty darn real doesn't it? I first read that it was Fiction a couple years back and I had an extreme moment.
Old 02-08-13, 02:29 PM   #23
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Enemy Below to me focused more on the Captains. Their strengths, weakness, stubborn personalities and desire to win at all costs. The actual sub had little to do with character development. Authenticity of the sub is not what they were going for. Drama of two strong wills going head to head.
Imagine that....a movie relying on character development and a good story line instead of most of the tripe they call movies now days that rely so much on special effects.
I can always overlook a fake looking movie set if the story is good.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 02:45 PM   #24
sharkbit
The Old Man

I do agree that "Das Boot" is a good movie. Very powerful and seemingly realistic movie. I saw it when it first came out in the eighties and I bought the Director's Cut a few years ago. Never seen the long version though.

I've read the book numerous times as well. As somebody mentioned above, it is still a work of fiction even though it based on fact .

With that being said, and at risk of being branded a heretic, I read in Michael Gannon's book "Operation Drumbeat" some of the crewmen of Hardegan's U-123 discussing both the book and the movie.

Quoted from the book:

Quote:
Hans Seigel:It wasn't at all like what people saw in Bucheim's movie, Das Boot.

Walter Lorenz: No, not at all. In the movie when the depth charges hit you see men falling all about. It was just not like that. Sure, your nerves jangled, but falling about on each other? No, no.

Seigel: When you heard the ASDIC, and when you heard the depth charges, you knew that you were still alive. But it's true, when the destroyer's propeller noises grew louder and closer, and when the pinging reverberated throughout the boat, and when you heard the click of the explosives reaching their depth, sure it rattled your nerves. But there was never any screams or shouts like in the film. It just didn't happen. It couldn't happen-they'd locate you immediately. If just one man shouted-

Richard Amstein: I don't think there was man on board who wasn't scared.

Walter Kaeding: The man who says he wasn't scared, he's a liar. The difference was that in a U-boat you couldn't show your fear. So we didn't. But in Bucheim's film Das Boot, where the men are so scared they go in their pants, not one of us had that happen, not one.

Karl Latislaus: Did you know that Bucheim also wrote a book? He is truly crazy. He made only one trip in a U-boat, as a photojournalist. How could he presume to write about U-boatmen? Some things are factual, but most are not. Before a mission we didn't drink that much or go around without our shirts-

Kaeding: We always knew where we stood. We understood from the beginning that we could be hit out there. But discussing that was taboo. Not in the family, not in the homeland, nowhere did we discuss it. We didn't even discuss with our shipmates.

Seigel: Every boat was different. The commander of every boat was different. And I believe that if we had a commander who was very tense, we wouldn't have been so calm either. But with Hardegen we had confidence that we would make it. And we were a well-experienced crew. You could trust your life to every single man.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
Old 02-08-13, 02:51 PM   #25
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
Imagine that....a movie relying on character development and a good story line instead of most of the tripe they call movies now days that rely so much on special effects.
I can always overlook a fake looking movie set if the story is good.

Yes sir! I watched stage production of Master Harold and the Boys. It starred James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vadar in Star Wars). The set was two chairs and a table. The story and acting were so well done any other props other than what was used were not necessary to complete the story.
Old 02-08-13, 02:53 PM   #26
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
With that being said, and at risk of being branded a heretic, I read in Michael Gannon's book "Operation Drumbeat" some of the crewmen of Hardegan's U-123 discussing both the book and the movie.
Great book. I read it 3 times.
Old 02-08-13, 06:50 PM   #27
sharkbit
The Old Man

Quote:
Great book. I read it 3 times.
If you haven't already, check out his "Black May". Very good.

Old 02-08-13, 08:54 PM   #28
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vadar in Star Wars).
...and Mufasa in The Lion KIng, and Admiral Greer in The Hunt for Red Ocrober.
Old 02-08-13, 09:09 PM   #29
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

...and Lt. Zogg in Doctor Strangelove.

And almost 200 other great roles over the past 50 years.
Old 02-08-13, 09:10 PM   #30
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
...and Lt. Zogg in Doctor Strangelove.
I should watch that sometime. It looks interesting.