SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-21, 09:51 AM   #1
emanuelepulcidoria
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default 688(I) Hunter/killer multiplayer manual

This guide explains how to play 688(I) Hunter/Killer in multiplayer mode. The game manual lacks a clear explanation on how to complete a connection, hence this little manual. The Subsim page that explains the process gives good info from a client perspective but not from the host perspective. The process is straightforward if you have some knowledge of how IP address work for a LAN or a Web connection.

One of the players must act as a server and the other players must act as a clients.

To play 688(I) Hunter/Killer in multiplayer mode you must:
- Allow 688(I) Hunter/Killer through Windows firewall; this is enough if you are playing against someone under your local network (i.e. someone that is connected to the same router) or someone on the web and your machine is acting as a client and the other machine is acting as a server;
- Additionally you have to open/forward a port on your router if you are playing against someone on the web and your machine is acting as a server;
- All server and clients must have inside the scenario folder of the installation the same .scm file representing the mission they want to play;

Following there are the instruction to create this connection through:
- IP connection;

IP connection

- Server and clients launch 688(I) Hunter/Killer;
- Server and clients on the Main Menu press the Multiplayer button;
- The server press the server button, and all the clients press the clients button;
- Server and clients must then each decide if their submarines will be considered part of NATO (allied), neutral, or non part of NATO (threat) pressing the button accordingly (this serves purely to let the other AI vessels in the match to understand if they need to engage you or not, based on the faction both you and them represent);
- Server and clients press the TCP button and then the setting button next to it;
- The server types simply 0.0.0.0 in the server address box, types his IP address (either LAN or external IP address) in the broadcast address box and types the port he wants to use in the port box. Then leaves all the TCP data empty and press the OK button;
- The clients types the server IP address in the server address box, types his IP address (either LAN or external IP address) in the broadcast address box and server port in the port box. Then leaves all the TCP data empty and press the OK button;
- The server presses now the OK button in the multiplayer menu;
- The client presses now the OK button in the multiplayer menu;
- The client enters in the connection room and can see the server name and its computer number under connect to a server, he clicks on it to highlight and press the OK button;
- Server and clients are now in the waiting room, the server can see all the connected clients under connected players window and the clients can see they are connected to the server under the connected to server window;
- Server and clients can double check that the connection is actually working typing messages in the outgoing message window and pressing the send button, the messages will appear in the message board window;
- The server press the start button and is prompted to choose the mission file .scm that all the players must have saved in their scenario folder, he clicks to highlight the file and press the OK button;
- Both server and clients are launched into the mission;

Once inside the mission DO NOT press the pause button or the button the increase/decrease the simulation time, the match will simply collapse even if the players who did not do that will still be able to use the stations but the whole match is simply corrupted at this point.
emanuelepulcidoria is offline   Reply With Quote