Default 3 secrets of accurate celestial navigation in Silent Hunter 5

Old 10-04-20, 05:37 PM   #17
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpheratz View Post
Great video Alpheratz, very informative! Thank you very much!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-20, 05:55 PM   #18
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Great video Alpheratz, very informative! Thank you very much!
Thank you, vdr1981! I am pleased that there are people who show a sincere interest in my work and can appreciate it!
Old 10-08-20, 10:35 PM   #19
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Kriegsmarine tables in celestial navigation

Only for experienced U-boat commanders who pay attention to "leadership issues". In case the navigator won the singing competition and you took over his watch as a reward. Kaleun salute vom Wolfgang Lüth.

Old 10-14-20, 10:32 PM   #20
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Finding navigational stars

If you do not know how to find navigational stars, but want to learn how to do it, from this video you will see how simple it is.

Old 10-24-20, 10:44 PM   #21
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default School of Real Navigation Silent Hunter 5

For those who want to improve their navigation skills. All necessary tables for celestial navigation (almanacs 1939-1945: Sun and Aries, compact size, adapted for Silent Hunter 5) in the video description.

Old 10-25-20, 09:46 AM   #22
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Thank you for the videos Alpheratz!
Many people have waiting for something like this for years...

I have one question for you though since I'm not an expert about these stuff at all.

Few months ago I was experimenting and testing the precision of latitude determination by sun and I noticed that sun's elevation wasn't always correct.
Because of this I crated one "corrections" table charts which can be found in Real navigation charts section.

Can you add any comment regarding this? Did I get things right or maybe I misunderstood something? thanks!
Old 10-25-20, 02:04 PM   #23
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Latitude determination by the Sun

I greet you, Vecko!
In determining the latitude by the Sun, two parameters need to be known: sun semidiameter and sun declination. In Silent Hunter 5, both of these parameters are different from the actual values. I took into account the actual for SH5 Sun declination values ​​when compiling Sun almanac 1939-1945. It seems to me that nothing else should interfere with the precise determination of latitude from the Sun.

And I would also like to clarify, were you aware of the sextant techniques I talked about in my video "3 secrets of accurate celestial navigation in Silent Hunter 5" when you did your experiment with the Sun?

Last edited by Alpheratz; 10-25-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 12:39 PM   #24
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Updated table for celestial navigation

Updated table for celestial navigation "Increments & corrections" (with refined values) in the video description from my previous video-post (#21).
Old 01-08-21, 12:57 PM   #25
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Sorry for late reply Alpheratz, but after watching some of your videos I have finally realized that you were well aware of the sun declination error I was talking about. It seems to me that your Sun almanac 1939-1945 have completely eliminated any need for my LAN corrections table, which is excellent, and I plan to remove it from the mod in the next update...

Now, I have few questions for you if that's not a big problem for you :

Your SH5 specialized tables and documents are completely applicable for our v2.2.22 TWoS even though v2.2.22 uses "smaller" sun semidiamete in the game? The only difference is in added value after the measurement is done (0.5 deg vs 1deg 08' in your Russian WoS version)? Is this correct?

Next, If you agree, I would like to add your PDF tables to TWoS Real nav documentation as well, together with some links to your YT channel.
Now, real nav doc folder from TWoS already contains some documentation and sun almanacs and I'm not really sure which of them could be removed and replaced with your docs? I'll upload them here and if you can please tell me which of them should I remove or move to some subfolder ect...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x1ctr...older.rar/file

And , once again , thank you very much for your work Alpheratz! Even though I'm a layman for most of these stuff It was quite clear to me for some time that we will need some kind of "SH5 only" specialized almanac which will address all the inconsistencies in SH5 world but I was quite skeptical that we'll ever find the person with necessary knowledge and patience to do this task. Luckily, we did.
Old 01-10-21, 04:58 PM   #26
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default to vdr1981

Hello Vecko!

I don't mind if you include my tables in the TWoS documentation. My tables are applicable for TWoS v.2.2.22 as well. At least for the methods that I talked about in my videos earlier. You got it right about the Sun semidiameter, everything else works the same way.

Now in the next step, working on celestial navigation by two stars, I discovered a problem that makes it equally difficult to apply my tables in v.2.0.9 (RUS), in which I work, and v.2.2.22. The celestial sphere should always complete a revolution around the Earth in 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.091 seconds. In SH5, this is not always the case. When playing in 32 and higher time compression mode, the celestial sphere moves without error, and is consistent with my tables and with the chronometer readings. When playing with time compression 1 - 16, the celestial sphere slows down or speeds up at different periods of time. It depends on the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg. I prefer not to use time compression 2-16, and decided to create a table for playing in time compression 1 (TC1, real time) mode, which would correct the chronometer readings, making them consistent with the celestial sphere. In v.2.0.9 (RUS) in TC 1 mode from 0:00:00 "Time" to 4:35:00 "Time" the celestial sphere moves without error. From 4:35:00 to 9:05:00 "Time", the celestial sphere accelerates by about 1.8 seconds every minute. This is equivalent to the chronometer slowing down 1.8 seconds every minute. From 9:05:00 to 24:00:00 "Time", the celestial sphere slows down by about 3.6 seconds every minute (which is equivalent to accelerating the chronometer by the same amount). For information: "Time" = GMT - Time zone port of departure. Due to a bug, if you leave Memel, Kiel, Wilhelmshaven, Narvik, Trondheim, La Spezia, Tripoli, then "Time" is one hour behind GMT. The celestial sphere is 1 hour behind GMT. If port of departure: Brest, Lorient, St. Nazaire, La Pallice, Bordeaux, Bergen, then the celestial sphere moves according to GMT. Until the problem with the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere is solved, my idea is to keep a logbook during the game, taking into account the operating time in TC 1. Before the astronomical observation, enter the data from the logbook into a special excel table that will calculate the correction chronometer. This correction of the chronometer can be entered into another excel table, which will take this correction into account.

I suggest these excel-tables that I compiled for TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS) for study and use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oad...ew?usp=sharing - SH5 Celestial Navigation calculator (excel) - NOW HAVE LOST RELEVANCE

The configuration of the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg differs significantly in v.2.0.9 (RUS) and v.2.2.22 TWoS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjG...ew?usp=sharing - main.cfg of TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS)

I checked v.2.2.22 TWoS: the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere does not coincide both in time periods and in the amount of lag and lead, relative to v.2.0.9 (RUS), so a separate table for v.2.2.22 will be needed. I could investigate v.2.2.22 TWoS to compile such a table if it is technically difficult / impossible to use the [TIME COMPRESSION] v.2.0.9 (RUS) settings for v.2.2.22, or if such a change of settings does not give a result.

As for those documents that are included in the "nav doc from TWoS", I think it is advisable to save them, there is training information on which I did not emphasize in my videos and it can be useful for studying. It may be worth putting it in a separate folder, indicating that these documents have been adapted for SH3 / SH4, but are suitable for mastering celestial navigation in SH5. Only Document "SH3_RNM_TheModInDetail" seems to me not relevant for SH5.

With best wishes,
Alpheratz

Last edited by Alpheratz; 01-30-21 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 08:08 AM   #27
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hello Vecko!

I don't mind if you include my tables in the TWoS documentation. My tables are applicable for TWoS v.2.2.22 as well. At least for the methods that I talked about in my videos earlier. You got it right about the Sun semidiameter, everything else works the same way.
Excellent!

Quote:
Now in the next step, working on celestial navigation by two stars, I discovered a problem that makes it equally difficult to apply my tables in v.2.0.9 (RUS), in which I work, and v.2.2.22. The celestial sphere should always complete a revolution around the Earth in 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.091 seconds. In SH5, this is not always the case. When playing in 32 and higher time compression mode, the celestial sphere moves without error, and is consistent with my tables and with the chronometer readings. When playing with time compression 1 - 16, the celestial sphere slows down or speeds up at different periods of time. It depends on the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg. I prefer not to use time compression 2-16, and decided to create a table for playing in time compression 1 (TC1, real time) mode, which would correct the chronometer readings, making them consistent with the celestial sphere. In v.2.0.9 (RUS) in TC 1 mode from 0:00:00 "Time" to 4:35:00 "Time" the celestial sphere moves without error. From 4:35:00 to 9:05:00 "Time", the celestial sphere accelerates by about 1.8 seconds every minute. This is equivalent to the chronometer slowing down 1.8 seconds every minute. From 9:05:00 to 24:00:00 "Time", the celestial sphere slows down by about 3.6 seconds every minute (which is equivalent to accelerating the chronometer by the same amount). For information: "Time" = GMT - Time zone port of departure. Due to a bug, if you leave Memel, Kiel, Wilhelmshaven, Narvik, Trondheim, La Spezia, Tripoli, then "Time" is one hour behind GMT. The celestial sphere is 1 hour behind GMT. If port of departure: Brest, Lorient, St. Nazaire, La Pallice, Bordeaux, Bergen, then the celestial sphere moves according to GMT. Until the problem with the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere is solved, my idea is to keep a logbook during the game, taking into account the operating time in TC 1. Before the astronomical observation, enter the data from the logbook into a special excel table that will calculate the correction chronometer. This correction of the chronometer can be entered into another excel table, which will take this correction into account.

I suggest these excel-tables that I compiled for TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS) for study and use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oad...ew?usp=sharing - SH5 Celestial Navigation calculator (excel)

The configuration of the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg differs significantly in v.2.0.9 (RUS) and v.2.2.22 TWoS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjG...ew?usp=sharing - main.cfg of TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS)

I checked v.2.2.22 TWoS: the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere does not coincide both in time periods and in the amount of lag and lead, relative to v.2.0.9 (RUS), so a separate table for v.2.2.22 will be needed. I could investigate v.2.2.22 TWoS to compile such a table if it is technically difficult / impossible to use the [TIME COMPRESSION] v.2.0.9 (RUS) settings for v.2.2.22, or if such a change of settings does not give a result.
Hmm that's not good... I think that "3DRender=xxxx" option is responsible for this discrepancy, please confirm this in your testing if you can. Note that when you are changing TC settings "in fly" you should use main.cfg file from your documents/SH5/data/cfg and not from the main game folder. Main.cfg file from the main game folder is only used once during the game installation and it's automatically copied to your documents for the actual use in game...

BTW, "3DRender=32" from RUS TWoS means that all 3D animation above TC32 will be suspended, which further means no realistic Uboat speed oscillations while traveling in rough seas, AI won't be able to attack if TC fails to drop to 1 from some reason since their gun barrels movement will be blocked ect...As you can see, these stuff aren't really good for gameplay and that is the reason why I decided allow 3D render animations up to max TC in "international" (so to say )TWoS...

That been said and if "3DRender" is really responsible for stars movement error, I still can not understand why night sky works OK with TC32 in RUS v2.0.9. (correct?) when "3DRender=32" only effects TC64 and higher... Maybe some other option is responsible, but which one...

I'm not really sure what would be the best course of action to bypass this sky/TC related problem...

And if you create stars corrections table/calculator for TC1, will that table actually be applicable for TC16 as well? If yes, would it then be applicable for, let's say TC512 in v2.2.22 which uses 3DRender=1024? Lot's of questions, I know...

Quote:
As for those documents that are included in the "nav doc from TWoS", I think it is advisable to save them, there is training information on which I did not emphasize in my videos and it can be useful for studying. It may be worth putting it in a separate folder, indicating that these documents have been adapted for SH3 / SH4, but are suitable for mastering celestial navigation in SH5. Only Document "SH3_RNM_TheModInDetail" seems to me not relevant for SH5.

With best wishes,
Alpheratz
Rgr that.
Old 01-11-21, 01:55 PM   #28
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the information about the main.cfg file, I didn't know that the file should be changed in the "my documents/SH5/data/cfg" folder.

I am far from programming, but I have an assumption that the movement of the sky occurs according to two algorithms, depending on the situation: "3d-rendering" - the movement of stars occurs "graphically", starting from some control point at which the position of the stars was loaded from a certain "library" responsible for the position of the stars and occurs until the moment you go beyond 3d-rendering. When playing "outside of 3d-rendering", perhaps another algorithm works, where an error-free "virtual (analytical) movement of stars" occurs. Accumulated errors in 3d-rendering are saved when the game goes "beyond 3d-rendering".

I understand that the [TIME COMPRESSION] configuration in v.2.2.22 is a well thought out decision and should not be changed to the detriment of the gameplay. As far as possible, I will try to get more information about the movement of the sky in v.2.2.22 in various time compression modes.
Old 01-12-21, 10:07 AM   #29
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks for the information about the main.cfg file, I didn't know that the file should be changed in the "my documents/SH5/data/cfg" folder.

I am far from programming, but I have an assumption that the movement of the sky occurs according to two algorithms, depending on the situation: "3d-rendering" - the movement of stars occurs "graphically", starting from some control point at which the position of the stars was loaded from a certain "library" responsible for the position of the stars and occurs until the moment you go beyond 3d-rendering. When playing "outside of 3d-rendering", perhaps another algorithm works, where an error-free "virtual (analytical) movement of stars" occurs. Accumulated errors in 3d-rendering are saved when the game goes "beyond 3d-rendering".
yes , something like that could be the case...

Quote:
I understand that the [TIME COMPRESSION] configuration in v.2.2.22 is a well thought out decision and should not be changed to the detriment of the gameplay. As far as possible, I will try to get more information about the movement of the sky in v.2.2.22 in various time compression modes.
Great and thank you very much!

Last edited by vdr1981; 01-12-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-21, 05:34 AM   #30
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Documentation for TWoS Real Nav

I have also compiled sunrise and sunset tables that can be included in the TWoS real navigation documentation. My tables are more detailed, contain the necessary hints that are relevant for SH5, so they can replace "SunAlmanac39_45", "SunAlmanacAndSpeedTable" from the folder that you showed me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ot...ew?usp=sharing - sunrise/sunset in northern latitudes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jF3...ew?usp=sharing - sunrise/sunset in southern latitudes

Tags
celestial navigation, sextant