SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-21, 07:06 AM   #31
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosondowah View Post
It doesn't work. Even reinstalling Windows didn't worked. Forget it, thanks, anyway!
Let me ask one last outlier - what version of Win10 do you have? If it is Win N version, you might have to install the media pack that includes a bunch of codecs.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 05:01 AM   #32
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Let me ask one last outlier - what version of Win10 do you have? If it is Win N version, you might have to install the media pack that includes a bunch of codecs.
It is Windows Pro 64.

Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 05:06 AM   #33
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post
Now on your way "G:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\sh4.exe" does not work. And on other disks?
Copy the game, for example "D:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" or "E:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" or "F:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" does not work?
No, nothing works, I've reinstalled Windows, I've changed the location of the game, I've reinstalled the game and so on.

I will also add that when I've reinstalled the game and wanted to update to 1.4 version, when I double click to silent_hunter_4_1.4.exe nothing happens and when I try to open that file as an administrator I receive the same crappy message.

The only way the game currently works is via built in administrator account.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-11-21 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 06:22 AM   #34
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
No, nothing works, I've reinstalled Windows, I've changed the location of the game, I've reinstalled the game and so on.

I will also add that when I've reinstalled the game and wanted to update to 1.4 version, when I double click to silent_hunter_4_1.4.exe nothing happens and when I try to open that file as an administrator I receive the same crappy message.

The only way the game currently works is via built in administrator account.
Then it means *your* account doesn't actually have admin rights. With the built in admin account, go and give your account admin rights.
Old 04-10-21, 11:13 AM   #35
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
Then it means *your* account doesn't actually have admin rights. With the built in admin account, go and give your account admin rights.
I cannot do that, as you can see in this screenshot, this is made from the built in administrator account when I try to change the so called user account where the problem is:

https://ibb.co/TtcWCxm

And the strangest thing is that I have this problem with not being able to run SH4 only on one desktop out of the three I have.

Old 04-10-21, 01:37 PM   #36
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

This is a tutorial link that changes a guest account into an administrator account.
https://www.tenforums.com/user-accou...r-account.html

If you can't do it that way then you'll have to make yourself a member at https://www.tenforums.com/ and they will help you to change an account type.

Do what these people tell you to do and they'll sort it out for you, Do Not take 15 posts to tell them about your account problem when 1 will suffice.
Old 04-10-21, 03:58 PM   #37
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I cannot do that, as you can see in this screenshot, this is made from the built in administrator account when I try to change the so called user account where the problem is:

https://ibb.co/TtcWCxm

And the strangest thing is that I have this problem with not being able to run SH4 only on one desktop out of the three I have.
I'm going to ask a really dumb question - your account is an actual account, right? Not a temporary guest account?
Old 04-11-21, 06:00 AM   #38
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
I'm going to ask a really dumb question - your account is an actual account, right? Not a temporary guest account?

Yes.

Old 04-11-21, 07:58 AM   #39
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
This is a tutorial link that changes a guest account into an administrator account.
https://www.tenforums.com/user-accou...r-account.html

If you can't do it that way then you'll have to make yourself a member at https://www.tenforums.com/ and they will help you to change an account type.

Do what these people tell you to do and they'll sort it out for you, Do Not take 15 posts to tell them about your account problem when 1 will suffice.

I will mention that I have a lousy workaround which is not safe, so I will not use it: disabling UAC (the registry key to change is EnableLUA, whose DWORD value needs to be set to 0 instead of default 1:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/...ry/td-p/951108

, restart and then set the proprieties of the sh4.exe file in Compatibility/Change high DPI Settings and check "Override high DPI scaling".

It works, in the sense that your game will start, but it puts you at high risk, so it's not a solution.

So, going back to trying to find a fix... looking at the screenshot I wonder: Is my Microsoft account Administrator or not?

https://ibb.co/jJPhf64

This is what I see listed as other users when I log into that so called built in administrator account.

While I appreciate your effort and involvement, none of the suggestions worked, so I invite anyone that believes can fix my issue to use TeamViewer/AnyDo on my PC with full access and Skype or any other similar software for communication purposes. Details can be given in a private message.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-12-21 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 10:02 AM   #40
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

i guess i was lucky. changed compatablity setting to vista 2 started right up
Old 04-11-21, 09:39 PM   #41
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From Page 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Windows 10 and the 'modern' computing world demand a bit more of a person seeking to run 'legacy' software these days...

Read through this, and change the Properties setting of the SH4.exe file:
SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update
What is "unsafe" about changing the High DPI behavior of an app? or setting its compatibility to something other than Win10? The game is put in a "sandbox" inside of Windows, even on the Home edition (one address space), but especially on a Pro version (multiple address spaces available). Windows 10 wants to "help" you with the "scaling" of all apps, but SH4 has no clue how to allow Windows to do that. SH4 can't even share the audio stream, much less the video stream. It is an old, "legacy", DirectX v9.0c game... kind of like some of the "legacy" members around - o-l-d... present company included...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 12:01 AM   #42
Sosondowah
Watch

propbeanie, just in case your above message was meant to be directed to me: it's not safe for your computer to have UAC disabled, which is USER ACCOUNT CONTROL.

In my particular situation, that is the first and mandatory required step to do in order not to receive that crappy red message. Any other attempt failed and I have tried some.

And only the second step is to change the proprieties of the. exe file.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-12-21 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 08:51 PM   #43
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You shouldn't have to disable UAC to run SH4.exe - You have your computer set to log-in on restricted privileges. As 3catcircus mentioned, you can log-in on the admin account and change the settings for your "normal" account to run SH4.exe as an administrator by right-clicking on the SH4,exe file, by use of the Compatibility tab on the Properties page, and using the "Change settings for all users" and then change the settings as alluded to in previous posts. "OK" your way back out, log-out of the Administrator account, and log back into your "normal" account, and see if it won't allow you to run the program now. You should be set to "Run this program as an administrator" on the Properties page...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 12:55 AM   #44
Sosondowah
Watch

Your suggested solution doesn't work.

OK, thank you all for the effort!

Old 06-25-21, 03:40 PM   #45
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I have just posted in general comments about this - I am getting the red screen too. Will reinstallation fix this problem. Its currently residing on my E Drive which I use mainly for games.

The 'elevated' system looks complicated but will try it if I have to
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote