SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-21, 02:21 AM   #16
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Windows 10 and the 'modern' computing world demand a bit more of a person seeking to run 'legacy' software these days...

Read through this, and change the Properties setting of the SH4.exe file:
SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update

Thank you, but it doesn't work, I just did that.

Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 06:30 AM   #17
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosondowah View Post
Thank you, but it doesn't work, I just did that.
I'll ask again. After you logged in as an admin? As in did you open up the accounts page and see that there account actually has admin rights. There have been instances where Win10 updates have removed those rights.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 07:24 AM   #18
Sosondowah
Watch

Yes, it works from the Administrator account, but that account is not customized. Also, it works perfectly from a user account on my other desktop, with the same OS and updates. But it doesn't from this PC from the regular user account.

Old 04-06-21, 08:30 AM   #19
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First things first: have you attempted to activate any mods, or is this a bone-stock install? Have you tried to clear the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4")? Navigate to that folder and delete it. Everything below it will be re-created when you start the game again. However, you will lose all game progress - if you have an. Another technique would be to move the folder out of Documents for safe-keeping elsewhere, or copy and paste it somewhere else.

Have you set the video stream correctly? Your monitor has a "native" resolution, such as 1920x1080 or similar, which Windows will refer to as "(recommended)" after the numbers, such as "1920x1080 (recommended)" or "1366x768 (recommended)" or some-such. Be sure you have Windows set like that, unless you are doing HDMI, in which case, Windows will set it to whatever it wants... I do not use anything with the DisplayPort connector, so I am uncertain as to how Windows handles those. Be sure your "Scaling" is set to 100%. Look at those Properties settings in the link on the previous page again, and make certain that you have the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked, as well as the "Override high DPI scaling... Application" from the "Change high DPI behavior" button. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode - Windows 7", on another I do not. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program as an administrator", on the other I do not. It all depends upon your hardware and OS settings. It took a LOT of experimentation on the newest beast I have, to find the correct combination.

What can sometimes help is to edit the "Main.cfg" file with a text editor, such as Windows Notepad or Notepad++ or similar, to match your video settings, but set it to windowed. If the game ran previously, that file is usually found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 \data \cfg" folder. "UserName" being the name that you log into the computer with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents". The first line under the heading "[Video]" in the file to look for is similar to "Resolution=1768,992,30,22" or maybe "Resolution=1024,768,30,22" or similar. Match your Windows video setting. The other line is "FullScreen=No", which you might change to "FullScreen=Yes". This should be unnecessary to do. A person with SH3 might need to do this.

I have 3 computers with Win10 on them. 1) A Core2 quad-core Running Win10 Insider, fast circle, with an nVidia 560Ti card, minimal changes (High DPI changes though). 2) A 5th gen Core i5 laptop running Win10 Home "Local" log-in, with onboard Intel graphics, minimal changes, (Run as administrator). 3) An i7 920 running Win10 Home retail, with dual nVidia 980 cards, and this one was a real bother to get SH4 running reliably on, and Win10 seems to constantly want to change all of my user settings for the "legacy" apps with each update, like my cell fones do... - everything is ticked on it, and is the basis of the illustration in that previous post.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 08:42 AM   #20
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Yes, it works from the Administrator account, but that account is not customized. Also, it works perfectly from a user account on my other desktop, with the same OS and updates. But it doesn't from this PC from the regular user account.
So... You haven't answered my question. The account you *normally* use on that machine - the one you indicate is "customized" - does *that* account have admin rights? Not is it an admin account - you need to actually open up the accounts info and confirm that account didn't somehow get it's admin rights revoked.

The account you log in to play SH4 *must* have admin rights.
Old 04-06-21, 09:50 AM   #21
Sosondowah
Watch

Taking this into account, I would say I have (theoretically) administrative rights, belonging to the Administrators group:

https://ibb.co/VNYmQWx

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-06-21 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 09:51 AM   #22
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
First things first: have you attempted to activate any mods, or is this a bone-stock install? Have you tried to clear the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4")? Navigate to that folder and delete it. Everything below it will be re-created when you start the game again. However, you will lose all game progress - if you have an. Another technique would be to move the folder out of Documents for safe-keeping elsewhere, or copy and paste it somewhere else.

Have you set the video stream correctly? Your monitor has a "native" resolution, such as 1920x1080 or similar, which Windows will refer to as "(recommended)" after the numbers, such as "1920x1080 (recommended)" or "1366x768 (recommended)" or some-such. Be sure you have Windows set like that, unless you are doing HDMI, in which case, Windows will set it to whatever it wants... I do not use anything with the DisplayPort connector, so I am uncertain as to how Windows handles those. Be sure your "Scaling" is set to 100%. Look at those Properties settings in the link on the previous page again, and make certain that you have the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked, as well as the "Override high DPI scaling... Application" from the "Change high DPI behavior" button. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode - Windows 7", on another I do not. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program as an administrator", on the other I do not. It all depends upon your hardware and OS settings. It took a LOT of experimentation on the newest beast I have, to find the correct combination.

What can sometimes help is to edit the "Main.cfg" file with a text editor, such as Windows Notepad or Notepad++ or similar, to match your video settings, but set it to windowed. If the game ran previously, that file is usually found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 \data \cfg" folder. "UserName" being the name that you log into the computer with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents". The first line under the heading "[Video]" in the file to look for is similar to "Resolution=1768,992,30,22" or maybe "Resolution=1024,768,30,22" or similar. Match your Windows video setting. The other line is "FullScreen=No", which you might change to "FullScreen=Yes". This should be unnecessary to do. A person with SH3 might need to do this.

I have 3 computers with Win10 on them. 1) A Core2 quad-core Running Win10 Insider, fast circle, with an nVidia 560Ti card, minimal changes (High DPI changes though). 2) A 5th gen Core i5 laptop running Win10 Home "Local" log-in, with onboard Intel graphics, minimal changes, (Run as administrator). 3) An i7 920 running Win10 Home retail, with dual nVidia 980 cards, and this one was a real bother to get SH4 running reliably on, and Win10 seems to constantly want to change all of my user settings for the "legacy" apps with each update, like my cell fones do... - everything is ticked on it, and is the basis of the illustration in that previous post.
Thank you for the effort, but it's a Windows problem.

Old 04-06-21, 10:19 AM   #23
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Just another reason I hate win10. Hell charge me $400 a year to update XP and 7 against hacks and lockups microsoft and I'd gladly pay it. XP was great, 7 was awesome IMO. Guess I'm just a dated guy but I hate 10.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 10:44 AM   #24
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Taking this into account, I would say I have (theoretically) administrative rights, belonging to the Administrators group:

https://ibb.co/VNYmQWx
I'm wondering if your account became corrupted somehow...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-a2c7ab5370d3

https://www.ryadel.com/en/windows-us...ights-uac-fix/
Old 04-06-21, 11:03 AM   #25
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Use the link below, read it, change it, use it, it's that bleeding simple,
There are 5 ways to change an account in this link, use the one you think is the easiest.
How to change a Windows 10 user account type and why you might want to
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ndows-10#page1

Something doesn't look right with that blank line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Old 04-06-21, 11:26 AM   #26
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Use the link below, read it, change it, use it, it's that bleeding simple,
There are 5 ways to change an account in this link, use the one you think is the easiest.
How to change a Windows 10 user account type and why you might want to
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...ndows-10#page1

Something doesn't look right with that blank line.
I think the fact that local accounts being part of the Administrators group but not actually having full rights like the built-in admin account is something a lot of people don't actually know.
Old 04-06-21, 11:46 AM   #27
Sosondowah
Watch

It seems that this option is greyed out:

https://ibb.co/TtcWCxm

Old 04-06-21, 12:23 PM   #28
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
It seems that this option is greyed out:

https://ibb.co/TtcWCxm
It appears your account doesn't have admin rights, If I'm reading that correctly, which means you'll have to log in via the built-in admin account and give your account admin rights.
Old 04-07-21, 03:25 AM   #29
Sosondowah
Watch

It doesn't work. Even reinstalling Windows didn't worked. Forget it, thanks, anyway!

Old 04-07-21, 04:59 AM   #30
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551

Quote:
It doesn't work. Even reinstalling Windows didn't worked. Forget it, thanks, anyway!
Now on your way "G:\Games\Silent Hunter 4\sh4.exe" does not work. And on other disks?
Copy the game, for example "D:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" or "E:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" or "F:\Games\SH4\sh4.exe" does not work?
mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote